PDA

View Full Version : How dark should i tint my windows

jesseweaver
09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
im going to get my windows tinted next tuesday afternoon and i still dont know how dark to get them done:confused: any suggestions? i think the legal limit in PA is 20%. i want them really dark but what are the chances of getting in trouble for it? i have a bunch of friends with dark tints and none have been caught. and can i do the windshield at all?

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff71/1999_416ex/005.jpg

mineralgrey01gt
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
I have 5% on my mustang. I love it and will have it that dark on every vehicle from now on. The front window is a no go

justin1022
09-16-2008, 09:13 PM
real dark.

ALAMX37
09-16-2008, 09:28 PM
Just go legal man, or at most 10 %. All they will do is make you take it off or pay a $100 dollar fine here. I just put limo on my new car but I know all the cops so its different

miller821
09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
You can probably put a brow on your windshield, but personally I think that makes it look tacky.

09-17-2008, 01:52 AM
I would go legal. Running with dark tent is like running with out a muffler. Might get away for a while but you will get pulled over. The cops in my town all of a sudden went crazy and pulled every one over with tented windows including me cause I think I had 5% but not sure all I know is it was dark as you can go. Gave a warning to me but I only took the tent off the front windows and left the back ones black as could be. The front windows are what cops seem to enforce so I took the front off and have some legal tent I'm putting on the front ones soon.

Its safer to not use the dark stuff any ways. At night I couldn't see any cars head lights and could not see anything on the sides of me I had to roll my windows down all the time at night just so I could see if cars where coming before I pulled out and had only tunnel vision.

fandl450r
09-17-2008, 07:17 AM
I'd stay at around 15-20%, anything darker is a real pain when driving at night.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2008, 07:53 AM
I agree with the last two posts. There isn't much difference in look from having legal tint and the darker tint...but the darker tint is a real pain at night. It is difficult to see when backing up and you do end up rolling down the windows all the time to see.

And what I mean is a car is coming down the road without headlights on and you are pulling out from a side road. You end up pulling out in front of it because you didn't realize it was even there. This happens most when you have the lead car without a headlight followed by about 4-6 cars that do. Your vision naturally focuses on the cars that do have headlights on so you pull out in a hurry to beat the longer line of cars only to get plowed by the lead car that you didn't see. Soon, you will find yourself rolling down the windows.

Frisk98
09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
In Pa you can have the rear windows tinted as dark as you want as long as you have side and rear mirrors. But the drivers side and passenger side can not have ANY tint on them at all. Also it is def illegal to tint the front windshield. Any tint shop you take it too should tell you this. But they will still do it for you if you want to roll the dice.

Exrider434
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
You can do the top up to 6" of the windshield i think

dpizz450
09-17-2008, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by ltr450fly
I would go legal. Running with dark tent is like running with out a muffler. Might get away for a while but you will get pulled over. The cops in my town all of a sudden went crazy and pulled every one over with tented windows including me cause I think I had 5% but not sure all I know is it was dark as you can go. Gave a warning to me but I only took the tent off the front windows and left the back ones black as could be. The front windows are what cops seem to enforce so I took the front off and have some legal tent I'm putting on the front ones soon.

Its safer to not use the dark stuff any ways. At night I couldn't see any cars head lights and could not see anything on the sides of me I had to roll my windows down all the time at night just so I could see if cars where coming before I pulled out and had only tunnel vision.

SLOW....ur a liar about everythings....thats all there is to it. if ur saying u couldnt see headlights then ur lying. i promise i have darker windows then anyone here. i could still see headlights perfectly clear. i hace 20 ontop of 5. it registered 1percent on the state troopers tint meter. he told me hes never seen windows this dark and i can see headlights perfectly fine. now its very hard to see out if theres no lights around but u can s see headlights comin from a mile away. now remember mine is 20 ontop of 5. wheni had just 5 i could see fairly well.

to the orignal poster it depends how lax cops are around ur area. i got away with my dark *** windows for almost a year but recently they jus started crackibn down on it bad and i got pulledover for speeding and got a ticket for my windows. 20percent is dark and still looks really good and u wont get messed with to bad. but if ur willin to take the risk of gettin a ticket, then go 5 percent. let us know what u do. for the windshield i would jus get a bar. tinting ur whole windsield is asksin for a ticket.

09-17-2008, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by YZrida
SLOW....ur a liar about everythings....thats all there is to it. if ur saying u couldnt see headlights then ur lying. i promise i have darker windows then anyone here. i could still see headlights perfectly clear. i hace 20 ontop of 5. it registered 1percent on the state troopers tint meter. he told me hes never seen windows this dark and i can see headlights perfectly fine. now its very hard to see out if theres no lights around but u can s see headlights comin from a mile away. now remember mine is 20 ontop of 5. wheni had just 5 i could see fairly well.

to the orignal poster it depends how lax cops are around ur area. i got away with my dark *** windows for almost a year but recently they jus started crackibn down on it bad and i got pulledover for speeding and got a ticket for my windows. 20percent is dark and still looks really good and u wont get messed with to bad. but if ur willin to take the risk of gettin a ticket, then go 5 percent. let us know what u do. for the windshield i would jus get a bar. tinting ur whole windsield is asksin for a ticket.

Ya right I'm sure liying. I must have used photoshop/chop or w/e to make my windows black in the pic just for this thread right? Of course I could see lights but not at all good. I couldn't just look both ways and take off I had to look a lot harder to make sure nothing was coming and from a distance some times I couldn't tell if a car was coming or if I was looking at a house yard light in the distance. Also couldn't see if their where deer standing in the ditch. When I had the tent on it was to hard to see. Even if I had not got pulled over I would have still probably removed the tent. And last time when I was pulled over for no license plate and amplified exhaust getting 4 warnings that day the iligal dark tented back side windows where not even mentioned by the cop.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2008, 04:52 PM
My problem is with the drivers who don't use their headlights in the early morning or at dusk. They are very difficult to see when pulling out from one road to another.

I am not saying not to tint at all...I would just stay legal. It isn't worth going darker.

ricksmx865
09-17-2008, 05:40 PM
5% all the way around and 30% down the windshield

cant even tell anyones in the car :devil:

jesseweaver
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
i think im gonna do 15% all around and leave the windshield alone, no bar or any thing. the cops around here are pretty cool, and i have a bunch of friends with dark windows and none have gotten in trouble yet. ill post some pictures next tuesday evening when its done. the guy said around $200, this sound about right?

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 06:06 PM
$200 your getting ripped, that is really high for price especially for your little mustang. I would say thats still a bit expensive for my crew cab F-250.

Get them the first level into the illegal stage, i forget what percent that is but it looks good and no cops will mess with you

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ricksmx865
5% all the way around and 30% down the windshield

cant even tell anyones in the car :devil:

2 of my friends have this, you really cant tell anyone is in the car.

jesseweaver
09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
yea, now that i think about it more $200 does sound high. what is it, maybe $50 for the tint. he said it'll take around 2 hours, so i know their labor rate isnt $75:rolleyes:

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 06:18 PM
I would pay $120 max, I had a honda prelude that had old tint stripped off and new tint put on for 120 thats about the same windo space u have. And stripping them is a pain, your just putting it on, $120 max

ricksmx865
09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
2 of my friends have this, you really cant tell anyone is in the car.

... and its not that bad at night :macho

gcart2
09-17-2008, 06:42 PM

30% seems pretty dark for windshield.

i think 50% on the windshield and 5% all around is more practical. thats what i had put on my truck (f-150 extended cab) for $160

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 06:52 PM

Yes its bad

dpizz450
09-17-2008, 07:19 PM
Ya right I'm sure liying. I must have used photoshop/chop or w/e to make my windows black in the pic just for this thread right? Of course I could see lights but not at all good. I couldn't just look both ways and take off I had to look a lot harder to make sure nothing was coming and from a distance some times I couldn't tell if a car was coming or if I was looking at a house yard light in the distance. Also couldn't see if their where deer standing in the ditch. When I had the tent on it was to hard to see. Even if I had not got pulled over I would have still probably removed the tent. And last time when I was pulled over for no license plate and amplified exhaust getting 4 warnings that day the iligal dark tented back side windows where not even mentioned by the cop.

Your moronic statement officially proves my point. No wonder your name is SLOW. If you would read my post, i did not accuse you of lying about how dark your windows were. I said you were lying about not being able to see headlights. See at first you said you could not see ANY headlights or ANYTHING on the side of you. Now your changing your story saying you could barely see. Which one is it slow??

09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Your moronic statement officially proves my point. No wonder your name is SLOW. If you would read my post, i did not accuse you of lying about how dark your windows were. I said you were lying about not being able to see headlights. See at first you said you could not see ANY headlights or ANYTHING on the side of you. Now your changing your story saying you could barely see. Which one is it slow??

You notice your the only one that wants to argue about this? SLOW

gotwarrior
09-17-2008, 07:35 PM
20 all the way around with windsheild 20 .. not one side darker than the other..

gotwarrior
09-17-2008, 07:36 PM
hard to tell because of rain but 5 all the way around and 20 on windsheild..

gcart2
09-17-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by gotwarrior
hard to tell because of rain but 5 all the way around and 20 on windsheild..

wow bet thats a pain driving in rain+ night with a trailer.

quad2xtreme
09-17-2008, 07:52 PM
Do you think there could be any legal issues with tinting your windows darker and then getting involved in an accident? Do you think the attorney representing the person you get in an accident with could find a way to hold you liable?

Any chance your auto insurance policy wouldn't cover your car in an accident? The question might arise to whether you contributed to the accident because you may not have avoided the accident due to the window tint...contributory negligence.

This probably won't come up on your $4,000 car but try the same with a $50,000 diesel truck. You would be surprised how much a insurance companies lawyers don't feel compelled to pay. You end up trying to sue your own insurance company to get them to pay.

You only live once though and life is often about the risk you are willing to incur.

250x_kyle
09-17-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by Frisk98
In Pa you can have the rear windows tinted as dark as you want as long as you have side and rear mirrors. But the drivers side and passenger side can not have ANY tint on them at all. Also it is def illegal to tint the front windshield. Any tint shop you take it too should tell you this. But they will still do it for you if you want to roll the dice.

not 100 percent the truth my brother got pulled over last month 75 percent on teh side windows is the most. i have thirty percent on the side windows of my durango its good enough for me and i didnt pay a dime for it.

09-17-2008, 07:59 PM
Originally posted by quad2xtreme
Do you think there could be any legal issues with tinting your windows darker and then getting involved in an accident? Do you think the attorney representing the person you get in an accident with could find a way to hold you liable?

Any chance your auto insurance policy wouldn't cover your car in an accident? The question might arise to whether you contributed to the accident because you may not have avoided the accident due to the window tint...contributory negligence.

This probably won't come up on your $4,000 car but try the same with a $50,000 diesel truck. You would be surprised how much a insurance companies lawyers don't feel compelled to pay. You end up trying to sue your own insurance company to get them to pay.

You only live once though and life is often about the risk you are willing to incur.

I seen somthing like that on the news, only it was about big rims. Their was some crash and it sounded like they where trying to say the crash only happened cause of having low profile tires.

gotwarrior
09-17-2008, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by gcart2
wow bet thats a pain driving in rain+ night with a trailer.

no whats a pain is sold that and bought a 5500 GMC with the same tint.. THATS A PAIN.. Just as long as we keep the driver from tryin to watch the 12in flip down.. lol..

dpizz450
09-17-2008, 08:36 PM
You notice your the only one that wants to argue about this? SLOW

Never was arguing, solely proving my point because you were misinforming this guy.
Have a good day ;)

and its tInt, not tEnt. not that i care much for grammar but thats just annoying

09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
Never was arguing, solely proving my point because you were misinforming this guy.
Have a good day ;)

and its tInt, not tEnt. not that i care much for grammar but thats just annoying

Well every one probably knows that you can see lights. I ment it was hard to see which every one here probably knew what I ment. Last year I even hit a basket ball hoop with my front end cause I didnt see it cause of the tint which put a scrape on the stock bumper and broke the yellow side light.

09-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Have a good day ;)

Your pretty annoying your self.

mineralgrey01gt
09-17-2008, 08:59 PM
I payed $140 for mine and thats with a front strip that comes 6" lower than the legal limit (which is also 5%)

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 09:54 PM
Here is mine i dont know if you can tell, the fronts are legal or just at the illegal legal line, the back are darker b/c you can tint the back whatever you want. I try to stay legal.

09-17-2008, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
Here is mine i dont know if you can tell, the fronts are legal or just at the illegal legal line, the back are darker b/c you can tint the back whatever you want. I try to stay legal.

The back cant be just any darkness. Ligaly the back can normally be a little darker than the front but only so much. I think the only reason cops don't inforce the rear is cause they simply don't know if its dark from the factory or not cause a lot of trucks and some cars come with pretty dark rear windows from the factory.

And only reason tinting is iligal is cause of guns.

ZBlaster
09-17-2008, 10:02 PM
My Camaro which is my DD has 2.5% all around, with the entire windshield done in 35%. I love it that way, no one can see in, and I have no trouble seeing out my windshield at night. The cops have been cool about it as well.

My old Mustang had 20% on the sides, and 50% on the entire windshield with a 10" strip of 20% as well and it was plenty dark, and when they checked it on a tint meter it came out close enough to legal they always let me go.

450Rchaser
09-17-2008, 11:46 PM

Dude, you can se your steering wheel plain as day thru your side window. Get your eyes checked.

Now mine is dark
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/sdime20s/sierra24s.jpg

09-18-2008, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by 450Rchaser
Dude, you can se your steering wheel plain as day thru your side window. Get your eyes checked.

Now mine is dark
http://i102.photobucket.com/albums/m115/sdime20s/sierra24s.jpg

NO NO NO NO NO . First off you can't see my steering wheel plain as day you can just BAIRLY see the steering wheel because its high gloss blue/black and because their is "NO" tint on the front or back window and the tent was the darkest you can buy and it was 10am and the sun was beating right on the front window. Sun light was coming through the wind shield. If the front window had tint on it even the legal tint you would have to put your hands and face up against the window to just see inside.

O and just so you know I can also just bairly see your steering wheel. :ermm:

416exfreak
09-18-2008, 08:06 AM
NO NO NO NO NO . First off you can't see my steering wheel plain as day you can just BAIRLY see the steering wheel because its high gloss blue/black and because their is "NO" tint on the front or back window and the tent was the darkest you can buy and it was 10am and the sun was beating right on the front window. Sun light was coming through the wind shield. If the front window had tint on it even the legal tint you would have to put your hands and face up against the window to just see inside.

O and just so you know I can also just bairly see your steering wheel. :ermm:

You are so aggrevating. You cant spell worth a darn, and your grammar is HORRIBLE!!! If you can barely see through your tint, either take it off, or suck it up and stop whining about it. The thread was not created for you to come in and start an argument over how dark your tint is, or wether you can see out of it at night. And since when are you the tint police? Do you have a book of laws that specifically has a section on how dark the tint can be on specific windows in the vehicle? If not then shut your mouth about how dark someone's rear windows can be versus the front windows. Your doing nothing but misinforming people, with your own incorrect way of thinking.

You've been banned so many times, and you keep coming back, being told that your hated and so on... Why dont you either just go away, or grow up and act like a responsible, mature adult?

What is sad is that there at 14 and 15 year old kids on here that have more common sense, and act more mature than you do. :chinese:

450Rchaser
09-18-2008, 12:02 PM
Sure you can......you must have x-ray vision.

Frisk98
09-19-2008, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by 250x_kyle
not 100 percent the truth my brother got pulled over last month 75 percent on teh side windows is the most. i have thirty percent on the side windows of my durango its good enough for me and i didnt pay a dime for it.

Not sure about that. The vehicle code in PA says no tint is legal. Trust me I make a living by that book.

muddy400EX
09-19-2008, 06:45 PM
i would do 5% on the back window, and 20% on the fronts with a 5% brow on the windshield. or if u dont care about cops do 5% on the fronts to. but if u get the whole windshield tinted, make sure to get a darker brow, that way from the outside the windshield dont look tinted compared to the brow. heres mine, 5 on back, 20 on sides, 5% brow. and the t-tops have 5% on them to
http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm83/94Phoenix/P6250553.jpg?t=1221871445