PDA

View Full Version : do you find this suprising?

krt400ex
09-16-2008, 07:50 PM
went riding today, and i raced my friend who was riding my 400ex(i was on the KX). it was like 250-300ft...just enough for us to top out and then back off, and i beat him, but not by a whole lot. then i raced my buddy on his stock kfx400, and i beat him, but not by much. then my other friend owns a kx250 that i knew would beat me, but i raced him just to see how bad he would get me. he killed me off the line until like 3rd gear, then we were accelerating evenly until we topped out. he had about three lengths on me and held the lead the whole time. neither of these things surprised me.

the thing that did surprise me was when i raced this kid who has a bone stock RM250...i think it is like an '01 or something. we ran from a rolling start in 2nd gear, and we were dead even the whole time until i hit 6th, and then i started to pull him, but we ran out of room in the field for me to get by him.

he has his powervalve adjusted for bottom end, and my bike has reeds and a pipe...but i didnt think i would be pulling an RM250. hes running race gas in his bike as well. klotz.

what do you guys think of this? he is a better rider than i am in general, but we are the same when it comes to dragging

09-16-2008, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by krt400ex
the thing that did surprise me was when i raced this kid who has a bone stock RM250...i think it is like an '01 or something. we ran from a rolling start in 2nd gear, and we were dead even the whole time until i hit 6th, and then i started to pull him, but we ran out of room in the field for me to get by him.

if you have a 6th gear on your 400ex i would love to know how to install one

mineralgrey01gt
09-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
if you have a 6th gear on your 400ex i would love to know how to install one

he was on his KX (see first sentence)

I do find the RM250 suprising. Maybe the bike is wore out?

krt400ex
09-16-2008, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
he was on his KX (see first sentence)

I do find the RM250 suprising. Maybe the bike is wore out?

it feels strong, but it doesnt have a whole lot of top end because of the way he had his powervalve adjusted...i just think he still should have gotten me on acceleration.

09-16-2008, 08:20 PM
Where do you ride at? By sussex Yamaha? Somekid says people ride back there all the time.

ZeroLogic
09-16-2008, 08:26 PM
Either the RM's top end is done, the bike isn't jetted right, no traction or your friend don't know how to ride.

Gray33
09-16-2008, 08:27 PM
dude i got beat by a 440ex in a field but smoked him 5-6 quads on the road. In the wheat field my tires just spun and he was already taken off.. so i ant really surpised do this another day and you will probly smoke his ***

derekhonda
09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic
Either the RM's top end is done, the bike isn't jetted right, no traction or your friend don't know how to ride.

or he geared it way down and the rolling start didn't let him take full advantage of it

ZeroLogic
09-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by Gray33
dude i got beat by a 440ex in a field but smoked him 5-6 quads on the road. In the wheat field my tires just spun and he was already taken off.. so i ant really surpised do this another day and you will probly smoke his ***

It don't matter if the sun is shining the grass is cut right and America isn't hated by the world. Either the 250s tires spun or he isn't jetting correctly or due for a new topend.

Gray33
09-16-2008, 08:43 PM
yeah but if he races him another day with new tires he could change that.

my bad i guess

416exfreak
09-17-2008, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Gray33

Ever think about how the YFZ is geared differently?

Stock the 400ex runs 65 mph, stock the YFZ runs 73.

Even a built 440ex, geared with 16/36 (all top end) wont run more than about 71 (I know this because ive carried a GPS along when I had this gearing and I never got it to go over 71.4)

The race on a road was probably all a top end thing. Im curious to know how it was until the 440 topped out on the road?:confused:

krt400ex
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Where do you ride at? By sussex Yamaha? Somekid says people ride back there all the time.

i used to ride back there all the time till come guy started complaining that ppl were riding on his property(no one was...it was all fenced and you couldnt even got on it if you wanted to)...got mixed up with the cops and they let me go. they basically said that the guy was whacked. i dont ride back there anymore cuz i dont need the trouble with the guy. those trails were pretty nice too. you could run them all the way out to the fairgrounds, and then up to the wildlife refuge and beyond(i nvr rode on the wildlife refuge myself, but guys told me you could get to NY from there). there was a decent jump i used to air out back there too. about 8ft up and a 45ft gap. i miss those trails.

i ride over in vernon now cuz i have a few friends that live over there. where you located? i live right near the middle school in sussex.

krt400ex
09-17-2008, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by ZeroLogic

we both got brand new tires, and it was a grassy field...we both get loads of traction in it. he can easily pull third gear starts with his bike(he didnt this time. we both ran from 2nd). we ran four times and were dead even everytime, and he is a very good rider.

no i want a 134 or something so i can beat his @$$ :devil: