PDA

View Full Version : HELP! what the hell is this noise?

dirtdawg
09-16-2008, 06:28 PM
i have this weird whirring sound coming from the cylinder area on my quad's engine. could someone let me know if it is a major issue or if it is an exhaust issue, like a hole in the header or a bad connection. sounds like a sewing machine and is very high-pitched. here it is:

http://s443.photobucket.com/albums/qq155/trailripper1500/?action=view&current=MOV00075.flv

RideRaceLive93
09-17-2008, 08:00 PM
check your valve clearences and your cam and rockers also coul be a wrist pin.mabye a leaky exhuast

dirtdawg
09-17-2008, 08:29 PM
would riding with it like this create any damage to the engine?

RideRaceLive93
09-17-2008, 08:53 PM
YES exhuast leak you would run lean chance of engine damage and if it in the head chance of detination if you are not sure how to fix take it to your local honda shop

dirtdawg
09-25-2008, 05:43 PM
adjusted the valves but still hearing a ticking and whirring noise from the engine. would jetting have to do with any of this? there are no exhaust leaks on my new exhaust. just instsalled today. i'm thinking if the engine needs to mwork harder for fuel, it would run rougher and you would hear these weird noises.

thomasgangross
10-02-2008, 08:52 AM
i have had the cobra full exhaust myself and i could never get it to run right, when you installed the exhaust header did you buy a new gasket that goes in the exhaust part of of the head, because every time you even take the exhaust off it needs a new gasket, its made to crush once in place and never repeated

i hated the cobra exhaust, i would get a pop on decel and it just sounded like ****, it ran alright other than that, i have went back to stock exhaust and painted it nice and black again and have called it a day

i suggest you do the same seeing that you really only have spent 100 somethin bucks on the exhaust system

you also may have a intake leak, or since i see you probally ride with your airbox lid off, and have a k and n filter that might be dirty

check all gaskets and intake tubes and filters, and get rid of the cobra exhaust

dirtdawg
10-07-2008, 01:17 PM
i found it was my skid plate was rattling. i'll get some weather stripping and put it where the frame meets the plate all the way around and it should be good. easy fix.