PDA

View Full Version : dissapearing oil???

bama06300ex
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
I changed my oil, just the same as always, and went riding sunday, then monday, then the next saturday, then sunday. Which is probly a total of 20-30 hours ridin. I trail ride, and ride pretty hard. My friend was behind me (he's on a suzuki, so that explains why) and he said when I was gasin it all the way, a very very little poof of smoke would come out, not even enough to call it a puff, just a poof :) Went to change the oil and noticed it right above the low mark in the view glass. I changed the oil, put it on a trailer (to watch for leaks) and cranked it, gased it, gased it, gased it. No leaks, nothing in the air box. So... do yall think that it is very likely to have burned that much oil in that amount of hours? Or, what am I forgeting to look for, listen for, whatever? Do I have a lazy ring or something? Its not a huge problem right now, but will be in the future.

Bwild
09-16-2008, 04:31 PM
By the sounds of it its time to do new rings, the rings they make are very thin and wear rather fast. To get a better idea do a leak down test. A shop can do this for a resonable price and it will tell you if know if you need to do anything with the valves.

KEVIN300A
09-19-2008, 01:03 PM
It is possible for you to have lost that amount of oil in that riding time. If you think about the total amount of oil you use to fill the 450r your really not burning that much oil. Mine does the same thing I am just going to do a new piston and rings over the winter. Just keep an eye on the oil so you dont run it dry.