PDA

View Full Version : really high idle (sometimes)

ARMY_rider
09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
I just bought my new quad a couple weeks ago and just got the chance to really ride it for a while this past weekend. After about an hour of riding I went to pull up next to my friend and when I pulled in my clutch and started down shifting I noticed it was idling really high. I came to a complete stop and and my friend said to kill it. We took apart the carb and checked the reeds and everything looked fine. When I started it again, it was fine but did it later in the after noon. The RPMs weren't so high that it'd blow the motor or anything, but this is a problem I would like to solve asap. We were thinking the throttle cable was just sticking since the guy I bought it from hasn't ridden it in a while. Any thoughts? suggestions? concerns?

86 Quad R
09-16-2008, 02:42 PM
double check all the basic stuff like the throttle cable, where the cable goes into the cap for leaks, carb to intake boot(for cracks) and the tension of the slide spring ect ect. could be that the cable is old and not allowing the slide to return properly. another thing you may consider is to do a leak down test for air leaks.

is this on a 38mm a/s or a 38mm pj?

ARMY_rider
09-16-2008, 05:26 PM
I'm not sure about the carb. To be honest I am new to ATVs and am in the learning process. Two good friends of mine both have 250Rs and are showing me the ropes. I will look into the cable, spring, etc but what is a leak down test and how do I do it?

Keep in mind that this only happened twice on a few hours of riding and it wasn't that bad, but I try to do preventative maintenance as much as possible.

Aceman
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
I've had that happen a couple times, makes you think "oh chit, I have an air leak!"

But both times it was the throttle cable hanging up and not dropping the slide all the way down. It's definitely good preventative maintenance to pull the throttle cable every few rides to clean it out and lube it. More often if you ride in the rain/mud.

Once it starts sticking it's only going to get worse.

kit bazile
09-16-2008, 08:07 PM
carb boot going to the reeds around the clamps mine did the same thing and come to find out the clamp had rubed a hole in the boot

GOTFEAR
09-16-2008, 10:07 PM
base gasket leak?

LONG-ROD
09-17-2008, 05:13 AM
You have a 38 Air Striker. Oh and I turned off your gas:bandit: