PDA

View Full Version : atv transmissions

400sEXridr
09-16-2008, 01:59 PM
Are there any atv or dirt bike models that are made with a separate engine and transmission? I am on the mini baja team at my school and I am looking for a manual 5 or 6 speed gearbox that could be incorporated into our drivetrain. The engine model is set forth in the rules so i cant use the whole engine tranny combo. any suggestions would be appreciated

thanks
matt

dehner47
09-16-2008, 02:27 PM
mini baja team at school?? is that like a few dudes from your school or is a class project/team?? either way,thats the s**t:devil:

400sEXridr
09-16-2008, 02:36 PM
ya its a team. theres about ten guys that work on designing and building a car. actually most universities that have an engineering program have this. check out www.sae.org for more info on it. its not a true baja car but more like a large go kart. were limited to using a 10 hp briggs and stratton so that kinda sucks but they get moving pretty good

400sEXridr
09-17-2008, 11:45 AM
anyone?

54warrior
09-17-2008, 12:05 PM
I am not aware of any atv's that use a separate tranny.

What are you using for the motor?

09-17-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 400sEXridr
were limited to using a 10 hp briggs and stratton so that kinda sucks but they get moving pretty good

I wonder what kind of transmission they use in lawn mower racing? Can you do any motor work to it? An engine that basic, you can really mod it up.

dehner47
09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
thats cool as hell your school has a program like that.you should feel very lucky your school is cool like that.now,who rides/drives this thing??

and you might want to look into some motorcycle transmissions.they might work for what you need.baker transmissions is what my pops uses in his choppers.check them out.they might even donate something to yall since its a school project..

smr
09-17-2008, 01:38 PM
do you have to have a manuel transmission? If so Harley is the only one I know of.

If an auto works then you have some options.

chris46250r
09-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by Prodigal
I wonder what kind of transmission they use in lawn mower racing? Can you do any motor work to it? An engine that basic, you can really mod it up.

I've seen some Jr dragsters pumping out 30 hp from a 5hp based engine so you could for sure mod it up. Also you could use a lawn mower transaxle as a transmission the way it is or by turning it and using one of the axles as the output shaft. You could use the pulley either by having it on top or to the side of the transaxle depending on what style motor you are using or if you are using a side shaft you could hook it up direct to one of the axles and use the other axle as the output.

400sEXridr
09-17-2008, 03:30 PM
currently were using a CVT to a polaris high-low-reverse gearbox. were not allowed to touch the motor at all. we dont have to have a manual transmission but im just doing a little early research for next years car. i have never been a believer in the CVT and have faith that with a decent driver a manual transmission will have much more control over the vehicle. the drivers in the competition are all students. i am very lucky to be a part of this team as at most bigger schools it is only a senior design project, and last year as a freshman i got in there and started working in the first quarter. it is also a good thing we arent allowed to mod the engine because our car is built on a shoestring budget as it is, and engine mods would allow the big schools to dump lots of money into the engine and pull away from the competition. this creates a level playing field. i considered baker but im worried that something that beefy would rob hp when were only dealing with 10 to begin with. i would also be concerned about the gearing being too high for our motor. one team last year took a yamaha warrior transmission apart and created a custom CNC'd gearbox case for it. i would love to go this route, but we just simply do not have the money or capabilities for something like this. so time for a little redneck engineering!

quad59
09-18-2008, 05:21 AM
Is the terrain more of an open road top end or low end crawling thru sand and soot? Look into the bakers you can order different gearing ratios. You wouldnt lose anymore than you would with a dirtbike trans. Your better off trying to get baker to sponsor it I dont think you could find a gear box off of a harley very cheap.

400sEXridr
09-18-2008, 08:21 AM
well there are 5 different events each year. theres a hillclimb, an acceleration run, a manueverability course, either a rock climb or a suspension course, and a 4 hour endurance race. i think our top speed this year was a little over 30 mph so most of it involves low end. i will look into baker thanks very much guys.

Fred55
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
what college are you competing for?

400exrider707
09-18-2008, 02:22 PM
I did this my last two years at my school, but we just started it there and I never got to go to competition. They went the year after that and this previous year and they did well. I went to SunyIT in utica NY. I probably shouldn't say too much about what we're doing this year, but we're using a transmission from a foreman 450, so get creative. We are a VERY SMALL school. We dont have nearly the money some of the larger schools do. Not even close. WE had to pay for most stuff out of pocket and get our own sponsorships.

What school are you at?

guys - the point of this competition isn't to see who can build the craziest motor, because the school with all the money would win. The motor has to remain STOCK, including exhaust and intake. The motor can NOT be touched, this is to keep it fair, and to focus more on frame design. There are quite a few different courses it will have to do. I know the east competition used to have a water course so your car had to float too. The rule book was well over 100 pages last I checked, this isn't by any means just a race. It is a design competition intended to get you working on teams and following rules, stuff you have to do as an engineer.

400sEXridr
09-18-2008, 03:04 PM
im at ohio northern university

kawabunga
09-18-2008, 05:07 PM
I go to UW-Stout and I was on the mini-baja team my freshman year. That year we built a new kart and I believe we used a tranny out of a 110 three-wheeler.

400sEXridr
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
is the tranny separate or did you guys machine a case for it?

2001-400ex'er
09-19-2008, 08:31 AM
I go to UW-Platteville and we have the 3 SAE teams (Formula, Baja, and Clean Snowmobile). Last year our baja team experimented a proto-type fully automatic transmission. They gave the company alot of feedback and this year they are working on the issues and are going with a CVT like most other teams. I'm on the clean snowmobile where we make a sled run on Flexfuel.

bwamos
09-22-2008, 01:42 PM
Could alway look at a Harley Softtail style gearbox. I beleiv ethey are seperate isolated from the motors and connected by a belt drive.

Sjorge450R
09-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I wouldnt diss the polaris CVT's. They are very strong and secure setups and when properly built/tuned they are really smooth. You said teh motor has to stay stock, I never heard to mention anything about the clutch having to stay stock.

400exrider707
09-22-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
I wouldnt diss the polaris CVT's. They are very strong and secure setups and when properly built/tuned they are really smooth. You said teh motor has to stay stock, I never heard to mention anything about the clutch having to stay stock.

You get the motor, the driveline is up to you, you can use a CVT if you want, but you dont have to. CVT's eat a lot of power and you're only working with 10hp. (actually 9hp, because of how they limit the motor)

kawabunga
09-22-2008, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by 400sEXridr
is the tranny separate or did you guys machine a case for it?

You know, I couldn't tell you for sure. All I know is that the tranny came out of a 3-wheeler. I was on the suspension team so I didn't get the details on the motor. Sorry.

400exrider707
09-24-2008, 06:03 PM
How do you not know what was going on with the rest of the buggy? Man you must have a lot of members at a big school or something...

We are machining our own cases. We have to outsource it too since we have no equipment to even do it at our school.:rolleyes:

400sEXridr
09-24-2008, 06:23 PM
i never said the polaris cvt was a bad set up i just feel that in any type of application a manual transmission gives you more control over the vehicle. and yes the drive clutches can be modified