PDA

View Full Version : Not a bad lookin bike....

Warrioreater400ex
11-10-2001, 11:11 PM
The new DS 650 Baja looks pretty cool!! but its so big and heavy. ive heard from some of yall that it sux reallllly bad unless on sand... like a 300ex could beat it even. idk bout that, but im just wantin yalls input. what do yall think of it. i think it looks pretty awesome. but i still like my 400 better!! lol im not tradin it for anything. i like the headlights on the ds though, they are 60/55 watts!! as where ours are like 30 or something!!

Warrioreater400ex
11-10-2001, 11:13 PM
sorry for takin up more bandwidth, but heres a better picture

canadian400ex
11-11-2001, 06:39 AM
I ride with a ds650 almost every weekend. They are a pig but the power is awesome. It is a smooth power but strong. The roost of the rear wheels is great...way more roost than off the ol' 400.
They would be an awesome dune machine I think. They are a little too big for trail riding or moto-x but all in all I like the big ds.Oh yeah, the suspension is amazing on the thing, especially the front suspension.
You should see if you can't take one for a ride...they are very comfortable, and fast as hell!
Did you nitice the tires? The tires are the best thing about it!:p j/k.

Guy400
11-11-2001, 06:55 AM
I like the bike if you've got the terrain to suit it. Unfortunately, it's very heavy and it's 50" width makes it illegal in state parks in several states. You'd have to check your own state laws but many states have a 48" width limit.

canadian400ex
11-11-2001, 08:47 AM
guy, are you serious? Why is there width limits at some parks? I assume it is to keep away the dune buggy's and trucks? But it's not right to stop the big ds from strutting it's stuff because it's too fat!.....BIG girls need it too!!

inacoma91
11-11-2001, 10:02 AM
I just looked at the baja ds a few days ago. I am assuming there is a new dealer down here where i live. I would have never thought this place would get bombardiers, anyways i thought it looked pretty cool. I do like the auto meter tach on the dash. It has the best tires on it too:) Other than that i would have to take a test ride on it to see if i would like it. I would have nowhere to ride that big hog around here though.............................

Andrew
Thunder Racing

Guy400
11-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Yes, the state parks impose those width limits to keep the buggies and trucks out. Our quads don't do half the damage that trucks do, especially when it's a little muddy.

11-12-2001, 03:55 PM
Too wide or not, it really doesn't matter. Those bikes are sweet. When the old 400 is paid off here shortly, the DS might just be my next purchase. The wife can ride my EX around (I definitely wouldn't want to get rid of it).

Guy400
11-12-2001, 03:57 PM
Just please stick with the standard yellow DS, it's much better looking than the Baja version.

Warrioreater400ex
11-14-2001, 12:24 PM
personally i like the look of the baja! the front black part looks awesome. but mainly i like the headlight setup, and i like the ohtsu tires better than the dominators that come on the yella one. but its also like, 400 bucks more too..... i think around in there

inacoma91
11-14-2001, 02:32 PM
I test rode the baja yesterday. It was a pretty nice bike and it does soak up all the bumps since it has 12" of travel. When i cracked the throttle it seemed like nothing happened. It has the twin cam so it sort of feels like a 2 stroke in a way. Nothing happens untill you hit like 3 or 4 grand then it takes off. Other than that its pretty nice, but too high center of gravity and i wouldnt have any use for it. Maybe if i was in the dunes............

Andrew

WB400ex
11-14-2001, 07:13 PM
the regular ds650 roosts in the dunes. it is a very good bike if you run i in the dunes only. dirtwheels mag said that that bike was actually built as a dune bike. thats why it is so wide and has so much power.

4punksdad
11-20-2001, 06:36 PM
keep one thing in mind.............that heavy sucker has NO reverse. on our lightweight 400's thats not a problem, but on the DS????
you would be better off with a raptor I think.

MarkyNark
11-21-2001, 08:58 PM
I think that Baja is a really good bike. Its not as good in the trails as a 400ex or even a Raptor, because its heavy and wide, but for us bigger guys that like to dune drag, its tops!

Anyways, see all the additions to the BAJA in pic form on my site here. (http://www.markynark.com/Baja.html)

Marky

canadian400ex
11-21-2001, 09:29 PM
I had no idea that it had a tach added...that would be kinda cool to have! Is the baja the first quad that you know of with a tachometer? It's definatley the first time I have seen it.:)

Guy400
11-21-2001, 09:31 PM
I could mistaken but I think it's the first for a sport quad.

400exRacerX
11-21-2001, 09:56 PM
Yeah its a sweet setup heres a pic of it,

MarkyNark
11-21-2001, 11:12 PM
canadian400ex,

That tach is built by Autometer. Originally, Ron Wood Racing contracted with Autometer to have them built for them. Ron Wood Racing sold them for $230 (Click here (http://www.markynark.com/RonWoodTach.html) to see the Ron Wood Tach) . The tach is accurate and durable and is even backlit. It worked so well, Bombardier also started buying them from Autometer to the Ron Wood Racing specs. The Baja has a CDI that alows for an additional 300 rpm from the old 7700 rpm. Of course, with a better CDI, which has no Rev Limit, its good to keep an eye on it depending on what other engine mods you have. I love my Ron Wood Racing tach and use it quite a bit when I dune drag.

I have not seen any other quad out there that has a tach, or even some of the other cool features of the quad. Check out that bumper and reinforced wheels! Hooooweee!

Marky

MarkyNark
12-01-2001, 06:28 AM
I just found out that the tach by Autometer, similar to the Bombardier Baja DS tach, can also be ordered for the Honda 400ex specs as well. It comes with a handle bar mount.

Marky

Warrioreater400ex
12-02-2001, 08:57 PM
anyone got a pic of the setup on a 400ex, id like to see that.

MarkyNark
12-03-2001, 12:07 AM
The very same tach is shown below; Handle bar mount style but on a DS. The 400 EX would mount the same.

crday98
12-03-2001, 09:12 AM
i know a guy that has a tach on his raptor that is only about 1-1/2" in diameter.it is very small and is perfect for a quad.it mounts inside the handelbar plastic and looks like it was built in from the factory.i don't see him often but when i do i will ask him where he bought it.

inacoma91
12-03-2001, 12:42 PM
I bet he got the tach from some race supply like summit or jegs. They have a huge assortment of tachs and what not.............

Thunder Racing
Andrew

nyle13
12-03-2001, 03:35 PM
I DONT LIKE THEM! i sat on one and the front was soo heavy! i felt liek it was gonna tip just sitting on it! insane *****bad word*****.. i like the z400 and 40ex's! :D

profanity is not allowed. keep it clean please.
3punksdad

MarkyNark
12-03-2001, 04:22 PM
Nyle,

Well, to each his own. It's wonderful that we all have lots to choose from!

I've had my Bombardier for over a year and riding it is much different than sitting on it. It's just about the most stable platform out there. I think that Greg Row and Dean Sundahl would agree. Both are champion Baja riders that have raced the Bombardier DS-650. The Standard DS is a little twitchy at high speeds, but the Baja is right on. As far as weight goes, I have mine right about where the Raptor is now, but the power is so much greater - that's a huge plus. With trail riding, it's sometimes a little wide, but with some good carbon fiber rims, that's no problem.

The 400EX is a sweet bike. I've owned mine for about 6 months and really enjoy it. I find the mid to high speed control on the bomber better than on the 400ex, especially in the whoops. I find the 400EX a little bouncy even after shock adjustments. However the 400EX is a more manageable bike in the trails. It takes a lot less effort turn quickly at low speeds than the DS.

I think that big guys tend to like the bomber because it is so stable. And that seat is like a couch!

My Bomber is slowly becoming more of a drag bike after I purchased my 400EX. The 400 is such a nice bike to ride in the trails that I thought I go ahead and dedicate my bomber to sand dune drags. I just purchased new chromoly a-arms, extended swingarm, carbon fiber rims, and NOS for it. I can't wait to try it all out.

Marky

DEAL
12-07-2001, 05:03 PM
I was riding with a ds650 baja 2 weeks ago.. didn't see too much of it tho .. it was in front of the back with the 440exs.

12-31-2001, 03:39 PM
I think they should of made it a little less in weight. But it has the best suspension of any quad.

MarkyNark
12-31-2001, 03:53 PM
They could have saved weight on the frame, but to make it as strong it would have to be made of aluminum or Chromoly, which would have put it out of price range for most folks. Thinner steel would have made it not as durable, like a Baja-type bike should be. There are a lot of bikes out there that have thin frames, and bend way to easily. They only time the bike is too heavy is if you're underneath it! Otherwise, you can't tell the difference. Right now, I've shaved off quite a bit of wieight by going with chromoly suspension parts - I am about the weight of a Raptor, but much more durable.