PDA

View Full Version : mx cylinders

2muchquad
09-15-2008, 10:35 PM
What are some of you guys running for mx?Im thinking about either having mine ported or getting an aftermarket cylinder.Are those pro x 310 cylinders too much for mx?Im worried that too much power i wont be able to put it to the ground.Im thinking the aftermarket cylinders would be fine for the dunes or play riding but no fun if i cant hang on while doing mx.Are the bikes rideable with these cylinders?And im not willing to spring for a powervalve set up either...too much money,my wife would go nutz.What about one of those big bore kits that uses the stock cylinder,i would think i would get more torque depending on the porting:confused: I want a bit more motor but i have to be able to ride it on the track

gojk
09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
I have a stock cylinder bored to 270 that is ported and it rips. It will put my 416ex to shame.

trx310R#24
09-15-2008, 11:11 PM
well if you cant hold on in mx its harder to win so..

id say have it ported maybe just try a clean up job see how you like that if you want more power send it back to have a lil more takin off... i just did a clean up job on a motor an it has alot more power. dont try it your self if you dont know how to port.

ill post some pics of a head im workin on tomorrow. all im doing to that head is takin away some drag just a lil test :cool: everyone thinks the bigger the ports the more hp well it dont work that way.

2muchquad
09-15-2008, 11:41 PM
everyone thinks the bigger the ports the more hp well it dont work that way.

I agree.too much and you'll just end up with a fancy paper weight:D

trx310R#24
09-16-2008, 01:31 AM
Originally posted by 2muchquad
I agree.too much and you'll just end up with a fancy paper weight:D

lol

86 Quad R
09-16-2008, 02:26 AM
i'll recommend starting out with a stock(virgin) cylinder and having it ported for MXing. it is important that you have every thing matched for the porting you have. it is also a good idea to run an aftermarket head such as a pro design.

neil on this site does great port work and is very reasonable. you wont be disappointed. with the same token, he can help you get the engine setup as it should be.

mxduner
09-16-2008, 04:36 AM
yea without a doubt

neil on this site does great port work and is very reasonable. you wont be disappointed. with the same token, he can help you get the engine setup as it should be. he is amazing at these motors and as well as being reasonable, but very fun to work with. try trx250r.net, he has his own ask section on there