PDA

View Full Version : So what happens to your quad if the valves get out of whack?

SPDSNYPR
09-15-2008, 08:59 PM
I adjusted my valves today all by myself (and a bunch of pieces of paper with pictures telling me exactly what to do). I have heard that keeping your valves adjusted if the key to long engine life along with regular oil changes.

I'm an engine retard. What happens to your engine if they get out of whack. Mine had apparently opened up just a tiny bit since I got it almost a year ago. What does this hurt? It seemed to run fine.

Anyone want to help the village idiot?

09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
you lose performance thats for sure

SPDSNYPR
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
It seems to be a little peppier - but do the valves being out of whack actually hurt your engine?

Anyone??

Bueller?

250x_kyle
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
yes valves bein gout of wack an hurt your machine. take the time to adjust them its simple to do. feeler guages and a few wrenches adn sockets and ur set.

LeGaCyGiAnT124
09-16-2008, 09:18 PM
If you valves are too loose they will throw your motor out of adjustment causing them to chatter very loudly and loose power. It will wear them out faster. If the valves are to tight then your motor wont last that long because of lack of air for the intake and compression cycles of your 4 stroke motor.

SPDSNYPR
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
OK - thanks. I think that's what I was looking for.

BTW - was really surprised how easy adjusting them was. Taking all the crap off to get to the engine was actually my biggest worry - but now that I've done it once it's easy.

Again - thanks.