PDA

View Full Version : What do you think is the best weight for racing?

breaks-alot
12-09-2002, 02:46 PM
What do you guys think is the best weight for quad racing? I was just wondering. I'm on the wrestling team just to stay in shape for racing and I’m at like 150 right now. I rather lift and gain muscle then loose weight and that’s what made me wonder what you guys think would be the best racing weight. My good friend Matt Bartosek who finished 11th this year in his rookie-pro season weighs about 180ish but is pretty built. Then I look at people like Jones and he's really skinny. But then again Timmy works out everyday and is got to be up there in weight. So what do you guys think? Just remember to consider hole shots, jumping, cornering, whoops ect. I think your weight can do be quite a factor in how fast you are.

Fleshwound
12-09-2002, 02:48 PM
170-180 i guess...haha
what a question...

Sparks425Ex
12-09-2002, 03:04 PM
I was thinking In the range of 165- 190. I would geuss. I am only 135.

stupid driver
12-09-2002, 05:02 PM
ha, im a skinny little $hit, 115, and my coach dont want me any higher for next year, 125 class. it suks, u cant do much about the quad when your in the air

Mity Mo
12-09-2002, 05:55 PM
I am a bouncer and construction worker and weigh in around 265. And I can keep up with the A riders. In fact I have the Championships to prove it. Weight isnt all that important unless its TT. Its whats your skill level is that counts. Weight has nothing to do with it. I whip up on 16-20yr olds that weigh 150lbs all day. And I am 31. Mo:p

cdalejef
12-09-2002, 06:24 PM
I don't believe weight has much to do with it. I weigh 170 and my cousin weighs 280, we both race the pro class and he can give me a run for my money anyday of the week!!!:huh

tprender
12-09-2002, 06:30 PM
You can be to light and the the quad will throw you around and you will wear yourself out trying to manhandle the thing.

cdalejef
12-09-2002, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by tprender
You can be to light and the the quad will throw you around and you will wear yourself out trying to manhandle the thing. Traci is the exception to that rule!!!

OCCRA288
12-10-2002, 07:46 AM
Jeff said that right. She is the exception.

Johnny_G
12-10-2002, 08:58 AM
Weight isn't a factor at all.

How fit you are is!

Ever see William Yokely's beer belly?, but he never gets tired.

When I turned pro I was about 130lbs, now I'm 185, but more importantly I'm not in near the shape I was back then.
I am way faster than I was, but cant hold up as well.

I used to work landscape consrtuction 65hrs a week, and mountain bike, and ride my quad another 20 a week easy.

No I sit at my desk, and am lucky to ride my bike an 2hours a week, including racing.

MAN I NEED TO GET IN SHAPE LIKE I WAS BACK THEN!!!!!!!!!!

"What the pizza is here, gotta run"

LOL

cdalejef
12-10-2002, 09:06 AM
Hey Johnny, remember Rick Madison? Fast as **** and over 220lbs.

Pappy
12-10-2002, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Johnny_G

now this is exactly why i like xc racin!!! beer bellys are not frowned apon....lmgda!!!

yeah i agree....being in shape and having the stamina will definatly help no matter what type of racin ya do.

Johnny_G
12-10-2002, 10:08 AM
Jeff:
yeah Ricky was a big boy.
I saw him in FLA this year racin a KX250.

If you MX guys want an example of a big boy that could hual try Kory Ellis in 2001 or before.

12-10-2002, 11:47 AM

Ever see my beer belly?? But I get tired after 20 minutes and I suck on top of it.:eek: I'm still lookin forward to the day of throwin back a case with yokley,,then I'll be in the pro ranks..:D

As a matter of fact,,after the last race on the way home..I drank a 6 pack sitten next to rowlrag in the truck on a 4 hour drive and I was drinkin so much like a pro,,that he never even new I was drinkin beer until I started cussin because I drank them all to fast and we weren't home yet..:eek:

Pappy
12-10-2002, 11:53 AM
rico....i cant wait to see the sponsors you get....lmao

goodys headache powder.....

pepto pismol........

tums......

maybe a beer nut supplier:eek:

oh well.....just share the wealth brother:devil

cdalejef
12-10-2002, 12:23 PM
Jeff:
yeah Ricky was a big boy.
I saw him in FLA this year racin a KX250.
Ya, he shows up at MidSouths every now and then on a bike.

Doibugu2
12-10-2002, 12:28 PM
So why am I so slow?:confused:

12-10-2002, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
So why am I so slow?:confused:

I'm guessin you need to attend the "put the hammer down 101 class" that i offer during the month of April...:D :D

Ryan
12-10-2002, 02:18 PM
If you MX guys want an example of a big boy that could hual try Kory Ellis in 2001 or before.

Yeah Kory Ellis used to be big but he looks like he lost alot of weight. Weight or no weight he still hauled ***. William Yokley should lay off a few beers and maybe he could cetch up to Bill Balance, lol. How do you ride with a beer belly when you have those tall gas tanks in front of you :huh :p A bunch of pregnant men. :D

Doibugu2
12-10-2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by Rico

I'm guessin you need to attend the "put the hammer down 101 class" that i offer during the month of April...:D :D

Where would I register for such an event. Where is it being held?

cdalejef
12-10-2002, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Ryan88

Yeah Kory Ellis used to be big but he looks like he lost alot of weight. Weight or no weight he still hauled ***. William Yokley should lay off a few beers and maybe he could cetch up to Bill Balance, lol. How do you ride with a beer belly when you have those tall gas tanks in front of you :huh :p A bunch of pregnant men. :D You ever notice how William rides on the back of his seat!;)

12-10-2002, 02:45 PM

Where would I register for such an event. Where is it being held?

Last week of april at hatfeild McCoy trail system..I'll also be hosting a beer chuggin contest the same week..:eek:

Doibugu2
12-10-2002, 03:05 PM
Last time I attended that class, the instructor left me. Besides, I could never see him anyway because he always surrounded by a big cloud of dust.

Do you think he was related to the guy from Peanuts that was always dirty?

cdalejef
12-10-2002, 03:12 PM
Last time I attended that class, the instructor left me. Besides, I could never see him anyway because he always surrounded by a big cloud of dust.

Do you think he was related to the guy from Peanuts that was always dirty? Yep, thats him!

tprender
12-10-2002, 07:15 PM
I think that it was 2 years ago at Ironman on Friday night Yokley was at the topless bar getting ready for the race on Sat. He was in training, he was working on climbing some hills or mountains and getting alot of liquids in his body for the race. Guess what, the next day he won the overall.
The last year that Ricky raced the quad, he would go out on Friday night trying to get ready for the race the next day. there was one race that he was so hung over that he almost lost it on the start line befor e the race. He still got 2nd overall that day.
So, it must be OK to have a good time on the night before as well as the night after.

Ryan
12-10-2002, 07:21 PM
Rico-
Last week of april at hatfeild McCoy trail system..I'll also be hosting a beer chuggin contest the same week..

Do you let 14 yr olds drink, lol. I bet i'll beat you in that beer chugging contest! :p

12-11-2002, 06:56 AM
Rico-

bet i'll beat you in that beer chugging contest! :p

You don't know me very well do ya??? :devil

Ryan
12-11-2002, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Rico

You don't know me very well do ya??? :devil

No I don't, but you havn't seen me take out a few beers. :p I can take em out one by one.

Doibugu2
12-11-2002, 10:01 AM

No I don't, but you havn't seen me take out a few beers. :p I can take em out one by one.

Boy, your only 16. Rico has been for at least 16 years. No way you could take him.

Rico, send him a little shot of your Kentucky's finest. Also show him the pic of what happens when you drink with Rico.

12-11-2002, 10:34 AM
this feller her is in his mid 40's and this was taken after a night of drinkin with me and pop at the hatfield ride..:eek:

You also mentioned you take em out one by one,,I take em out 6 pack by 6 pack...:D

Pappy
12-11-2002, 10:44 AM
rico and beer...ummmm

let me put it this way.....

rico is a well groomed beer drinkin athlete.....he runs a vigerous training schedule and turned pro at 18.

he has his own tap at the local bar....

his house recieves daily shipments directly from the beer suppliers. (saves the beer store alot of trouble)

he wont even talk with you unless you can slam a six pack in under 45 seconds......i was so smashed when we had our first conversation i dont even remeber it

:huh

so ....if you are a light weight....dont waste his time. he out drank the urban legend and that drunk old guy at hatfield...:devil

Ryan
12-11-2002, 11:31 AM
:p Wow people calm down. I was just kidding I don't really think I could take him out. "Especially if he takes them out 6 pack by 6 pack, lmao." And no im not a light weight. How about we take some shots instead?:p

12-11-2002, 12:20 PM
How about we take some shots instead?:p

we just yankin yer chain man,,it's all in good fun.

Now about them shots,,I only do shots that have a proof of more than 110,,anything less is considered strong coffee in my book.

Ryan
12-11-2002, 12:44 PM
Im up for that. What about barcardi 151 :p . Thats my limit. Come to think of it Rico, of all the beer you drink how much do you weight :huh :p

12-11-2002, 12:56 PM
lean mean 196 lb racin machine..:rolleyes: Actually I have a very small beer gut..I'm 6 foot tall and don't have but about 5 lbs of fat on me..:confused: well that's not the fat in my head included..:D

Ryan
12-11-2002, 01:14 PM
Im suprised. After one night of drinking I gain like 20 pounds ;) You should get your liver checked out, lol. I better cut down so im more fit for riding. Every beer I take down my fat ***** keeps growing, lol. Im 5'10 170. Mostly lifting but im starting to grow a gut. I though everytime I ride im getting faster but I guess I might be getting slower:rolleyes: :D

Well back on the subject. If you have a fat ***** but you strong enough and fit enough to keep it on your body then weight won't really matter unless you keep blowing shocks ;) :D

QuadTrix6
12-11-2002, 02:12 PM
this went a little off topic :eek:

Regulator 250X
12-11-2002, 03:10 PM
The day i see a sixteen year old drink a guy out of high school under the table is the day i start drinking more!! That scares me that a sixteen year old claims he can slam em better than rico!! Drink it up f*cker! :D

Ryan
12-11-2002, 03:15 PM
Maybe you didn't read the fourm right.:rolleyes: It was a joke! I know I could never compete with rico! sheez

Regulator 250X
12-11-2002, 04:14 PM
I wasnt meaning it towards yourself. Ive heard alot of teenagers claim these things..... i find it quite amusing!! Later

TLC
12-11-2002, 07:32 PM
I feel it does not matter how much you weigh as long as you have a quad that fits, with a motor you can handle, and a healthy in-shape body.

12-11-2002, 07:47 PM
:p How about we take some shots instead?:p how about some straight everclear. nothing better then a burning throat and being to drunk to care.

Ryan
12-11-2002, 07:55 PM
Well I got to get drunk first :p . The best out there is Tiquila! Thats my favorite. That and barcardi 151!. But Rico, Have you ever lost to a beer chugging contest? lol

12-11-2002, 07:57 PM
i haven't drank ever clear in a few years but i think it's 180 or 190 proof..it burns bad and you get wasted pretty fast.

cdalejef
12-12-2002, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by TLC
I feel it does not matter how much you weigh as long as you have a quad that fits, with a motor you can handle, and a healthy in-shape body. So true!!!:D

breaks-alot
12-12-2002, 08:15 AM
Hmmm, I'm only 16 right now but in the summer time all of the National racers that I ride with don't drink anything but water??? I'll admit in the off season I’ll party but not to often so I have no clue how any of you guys can have any endurance. A little thing for your head to ponder over but most people find it actually true. Beer being carbonated is actually worst then smoking pot if your race. Carbonation takes oxygen out of your blood stream thus causing arm pump a lot quicker. While pot has been tested to expand your lungs if you don't do it too often. So you guys are drinking all the time not thinking what it’s doing to your body? Don't get me wrong I don't do drugs but there's a kid that I ride with every so often that has his PRO licenses for 125 classes, out door and supercross. He actually tokes up before he goes ridding! The sad part is that his Dad lets him because it makes him faster and fearless.
So you guys run your short moto's every weekend on your favorite local track that you mastered and kick everyone's ***. That’s cool that you can take your friends to watch you win but racing is the only thing that I have ever found out I had a true talent for, so I train hard. If any of you guys ever go to nationals you actually see the pro racers getting tired, not hitting corners hard, not clearing the big jumps near the end of the race, and not controlling the bike like they can, meanwhile Timmy, Gust, and especially Jones will be pushing till the end of the race. I should be partial to Tim because he grew up here, went to the same high school as I go to (Trevor Vines also went to my very small High School) and Baldwin’s are friends of mine but Jones is the only one who I watch and see that he will constantly push it hard late in the on those hot Sunday mornings. So I train with Matt Bartosek at this gravel pit that is nothing but hard hitting whoops and turns and we usually run 4 or 5 20 minuet moto's (BTW Timmy grew up ridding at that gravel pit).
Now I know most of you guy’s race for fun, which is cool, but just to let you guys know who want to be a good racer that if you are going to have an edge over the more experienced riders, then be the person who works hardest and have some discipline. You may find out that you'll have MORE FUN WHEN YOU’RE GETTING BETTER then going out and doing useless tricks. Also try to make friends with the fastest person you constantly see at the locals. You learn the most if you have a good friend that makes you push yourself.
Just how I feel,
Later,
Ben Gunter #16

12-12-2002, 09:16 AM
I know I'll never be pro or #1 in my class of racing,,whether it's XC or MX,,which I do both now. But I do enjoy drinking beer with the guys and I get just as much enjoyment drinking beer as I do racing..I look at it as getting the best of both worlds.

PS..I drank 3 beers the night before my last race and finished 7th outa 19 in my class..not bad for a drunk..:devil

And yes,,Jones never gets tired,,he's just as fast his first lap as his last..amazing..

Ryan
12-12-2002, 02:04 PM
You really do have to be in excellent shape to race but I don't think people like Farr, Jones ect spend there hole life drinking water and working out just for the upcoming race. If you think of it the only place where you would have fun is at the track. I don't smoke but I do drink every now and then. It cleans out your system just not your head:blah . If you have the energy and muscle to controll the quad and stay competitive throughout the race then you won't have a problem; and not all people stay fit just for the next race.

Remember..

You Only Live Once ;)

popo
12-16-2002, 11:49 PM
I feel it does not matter how much you weigh as long as you have a quad that fits, with a motor you can handle, and a healthy in-shape body.

Aw be quiet "skinny" you’re a whole 90lbs with your helmet and camel back on.:D You try giving up donuts,taco bell & beer. It makes you just a little grumpy.

Geez, maybe I better get a diesel on my Z for more power, so it fits my fat arse.

Rico only stay's skinny from drinking all that hill billy beer, and getting the hershey squirts.

465Stroker
12-17-2002, 04:26 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by popo
[B]

Aw be quiet "skinny" you’re a whole 90lbs with your helmet and camel back on.:D You try giving up donuts,taco bell & beer. It makes you just a little grumpy.

Try to wrestle a quad that weights almost 3.70 times your weight! Heck, I'm 200lbs - and could not imagine racing a 740lb quad around for 2 hours in sometimes 90+ degree heat at the Women's Classes speed for that matter. I know you are only busting Traci - and it's all cool. Your fat arse is not holding you back - it's your technique, confidence, breathing, etc.. Forget about the diet and get some seat time! And beleive me, I need to follow my own advice too.....

popo
12-17-2002, 04:36 AM
Forget about the diet and get some seat time! And beleive me, I need to follow my own advice too.....

Does 45 minutes, some times two 2 hours a day count.....

465Stroker
12-17-2002, 05:21 AM
I wish I had the time to ride 45 minutes a day during the winter. I leave for work in the dark and come home in the dark - and I have already tried practicing in the dark but injuried my wrist from hitting multiple trees every lap! Right now Traci rides every weekday for about an hour after work, and I only get to ride on Sundays since hunting is on Saturdays ( i do not want to get shot). Sounds like you have a good amount of seat time - I would be happy with that!:D