PDA

View Full Version : new pipe?????

RideRed02400ex
09-15-2008, 07:13 PM
hey,
i have a 2002 400ex and i am gona get a pipe i was wonder what's a good sounding pipe that is somewhat cheap. lets say $300 max :D . i've been thinking about a Pheonix sprial core, if anyone has one or know anything about them, are they a good sound???i don't really care about how loud, i'm more concenered about sound quality. thanks buds.

BlasterEaten250
09-15-2008, 07:15 PM
10 bucks says everybody will say hmf

09-15-2008, 07:22 PM
Originally posted by BlasterEaten250
10 bucks says everybody will say hmf

idk who is giving you this $10 you speak of but HMF... best bang for your buck. Sounds nice, gives great gains, one of the cheapest priced exhaust on the market, good craftsmanship.

09-15-2008, 07:31 PM
heres a video of how it sounds. not the best quality sound but its closer to real than most videos i have seen on youtube.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MzdEYuoXxHQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MzdEYuoXxHQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Snipe
09-15-2008, 07:46 PM
When I get my carb jetted ill get a vid of my exhaust so you can here the sound of my White Bros E Series exhaust its sounds awsome nice and bass tony with some high end rev its is awsome in sound and power.

Keep your HMF my quad blows white brothers.

kolby2004
09-15-2008, 08:51 PM
For slip on pipes I have had Dr. Dubach and HMF. Both are great pipes. I have my Dr. D Dubach pipe for sale. Great deep sound, I have been very happy with the sound of the Dr D pipe.

09-15-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Snipe
When I get my carb jetted ill get a vid of my exhaust so you can here the sound of my White Bros E Series exhaust its sounds awsome nice and bass tony with some high end rev its is awsome in sound and power.

Keep your HMF my quad blows white brothers.

I had an E-series for about 6 months I was basically renting it. I missed it when the lease was up and i had to go back to stock but I was glad because it forced me to get an exhaust and I went HMF. Deffinately more power to it. E-series is unique sounding but it didnt give as much power.

heres when i had my e-series

<a href="http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=8057748">me nd brad</a><br/><object width="425px" height="360px" ><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"/><param name="movie" value="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=8057748,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,sec ondarycolor="/><embed src="http://mediaservices.myspace.com/services/media/embed.aspx/m=8057748,t=1,mt=video,searchID=,primarycolor=,sec ondarycolor=" width="425" height="360" allowFullScreen="true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" /></object>

powermadd400ex
09-15-2008, 09:14 PM
i would look for a used sparks pipe or TC shorty. both have amazing gains(more than HMF and WB). and sound badarse

Snipe
09-15-2008, 09:15 PM
Take the spark arresor off that and the power gain is massive. I would of had to rejet my carb again just after doing that. When you take the spark arrestor plate off it still forces air out the sides creating that tone but it gives great power. My cousin has a 450R all stock (nothing aftermarket) And with doing this and fine tuning my carb I can keep up with him on pavement.

Im not trying to lie to make it sound fast and all the bull crap as I will be the first to tell you in top end he will win but he wont run off and leave me.

Also I did a full exhuast kit the head pipes are stainless and disapate heat faster.

With creating less back pressure it really changed it if you get the chance to try it again do and I bet you wotn be dissapointed.

bean2080
09-15-2008, 09:38 PM
i think both the HMF and e-series are good pipes. i could of got either but i wanted the e-series, i just like how they sound. everyone likes different ones though.

Snipe
09-15-2008, 09:51 PM
I love the sound with the spark arrestor out of it.

Its very loud and very bass'ie

hypersnyper6947
09-16-2008, 04:28 PM
My e series is different than the ones i have seen, the pipe leading to the muffler it self gets about as wide as the muffler where they meet. I looked on rocky mountain and it said it was the racing one or something, it was like $500 for the slip on. I noticed that sparks pipes do this as well. I like it, its loud with a great tone, sounds like a 450 almost. I cant tell you about the power gain b/c it was on my quad when i got it.

Snipe
09-16-2008, 05:47 PM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=57&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=6847#vehicleSelect

That is the white bros e series. There is a E series 2 but they both run around the same price.

CJM
09-16-2008, 07:51 PM
While on the subject, how is the duncan racing pipe? It came with the quad.

Its a full split, each pipe is separate right down to the exhaust.

I think its crappy..but I dunno wtf to do b/c all the other pipes I see on rocky mtn seem like slip ons.

Snipe
09-16-2008, 08:00 PM
There is some full kits to run dual pipes all the way back you would better off as its not creating back pressure when chocking it down.

To see all they offer in full kits your best to go to the places main website and look at them. I know my kit is $579 on white bros website.

justin1022
09-16-2008, 10:03 PM
hmf

hypersnyper6947
09-16-2008, 10:12 PM
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=closeout&webTypeId=57&navTitle=Exhaust&webCatId=18&prodFamilyId=6847#vehicleSelect

That is the white bros e series. There is a E series 2 but they both run around the same price.

Thats not the one i have

TheNewn
09-17-2008, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by CJM
While on the subject, how is the duncan racing pipe? It came with the quad.

Its a full split, each pipe is separate right down to the exhaust.

I think its crappy..but I dunno wtf to do b/c all the other pipes I see on rocky mtn seem like slip ons.

I'd be interesetd in buying that set up from you if you do happen to get another exhaust.

Let me know.

cjtrx400ex
09-17-2008, 04:09 AM
Newbie i am to the forums, but I just installed a Big Gun full exhaust and it gave awesome power in the mid to top end range, ok gains low end but no much to brag on. Pipe sounds awesome but is extremely loud with just the race core insert. No more riding through the neighborhood i guess. :devil: Just dare me.

racin_33
09-17-2008, 04:49 AM
HMF:D

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 08:18 AM
if didnt all ready have exhaust i would be buying a sparks x6, so my vote is for sparks if

or just go on ebay and you can find a nice used full exhaust on there for prob like $200, i just found my buddy a fmf powerbomb header and a powercore 4 slip on, = full exhaust ,for his raptor 660 it was $208 shipped in great condition.

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
here check this one out on ebay, its a little beat up but great price, here is the item #

RideRed02400ex
09-17-2008, 09:41 AM
thanks guys,
my good friend has a white bros e-series on a 01 400ex. and u guys are right they sound bad-a**. but, i don't want to "copy" so maybe i'll look into the HMF, i still like the looks of the pheonix though and its reasonably cheap $214, I really appriecate everything guys, and i'm definatly gonna look into the HMF, White bros, pheonix, and maybe
big grinthe Sparks (i want to go new though)

RideRed02400ex
09-17-2008, 09:50 AM
Thats not the one i have

thats the one my Buddy has got.

CJM
09-17-2008, 09:54 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
I'd be interesetd in buying that set up from you if you do happen to get another exhaust.

Let me know.

I really dont have the cash right now to sell it FYI. But if I ever do ill let you know.

09-17-2008, 02:49 PM
There is some full kits to run dual pipes all the way back you would better off as its not creating back pressure when chocking it down.

To see all they offer in full kits your best to go to the places main website and look at them. I know my kit is $579 on white bros website.

That statement is very wrong.. Duals work great when done properly, and duncan/DMC perfected it.

One, is keep the duncan. It's an excellent exhaust. IMHO, you would be making a mistake by selling it for another.

The duncan is similar to the DMC, with a few small differences. On a pipe shootout I read a while back, and SOTP, they are one of the top gains, DMC and duncan. The only other pipe that made more power was the curtis sparks by .3hp.. not even noticable.

So, it's your choice, but if you want power I would stay with what you have... and if anything you would be going to a better sounding pipe, not preforming.

Snipe
09-17-2008, 05:56 PM
So again how is my statement wrong?

Its pertty much telling him the same to keep what he has got.

09-17-2008, 06:11 PM
So again how is my statement wrong?

Its pertty much telling him the same to keep what he has got.

oops, sorry man, just re-read your post. For some reason the first time I thought you wrote that the duals choke power or something, lol.

CJM
09-17-2008, 08:24 PM
Oh, its not junk? A friend of mine said white bros or bust thats why I asked.

Thanks guys. Now, to figure out how to undent the muffler a bit. How they dented it I dunno.

09-17-2008, 08:32 PM
every e-series i have seen has a dent in the canister i dont know if its made like that to clear the brake? or it just hits the brake

hypersnyper6947
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Yep my e-series has a dent, a small one but still a dent

CJM
09-17-2008, 10:41 PM
Yea, Its quite a large dent, but as far as I can tell the pipes arent dented, just the outter muffler as the pipes bolt to it and then another set of pipes come out.

09-18-2008, 01:26 PM
Guys, hes not talking about the e-series. He said his Duncan is bent.

But yes, the duncan is not a crap pipe and is actually a very good one..

TheNewn
09-18-2008, 04:19 PM
Originally posted by CJM
Oh, its not junk? A friend of mine said white bros or bust thats why I asked.

Thanks guys. Now, to figure out how to undent the muffler a bit. How they dented it I dunno.

You, and your friend, should do a little bit of research. From what i've read White brothers (which is now 'out of business' if i remember correctly) was one of the 'C+' exhaust companies.

CJM
09-18-2008, 04:46 PM
You, and your friend, should do a little bit of research. From what i've read White brothers (which is now 'out of business' if i remember correctly) was one of the 'C+' exhaust companies.

Well to be honest I really dunno much about quads, im more of a 4x4 truck guy but trucks are to $$ so I dove headfirst into quads and im slowly learning.

Thus i why I asked about the exhaust.

RideRed02400ex
09-19-2008, 05:01 PM
don't feel bad CJM, i'm new to the whole quad thing too. which, like you, is why i started this thread in the first place.

CJM
09-19-2008, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by RideRed02400ex
don't feel bad CJM, i'm new to the whole quad thing too. which, like you, is why i started this thread in the first place.

Thanks dude. :)

flauge
09-19-2008, 09:43 PM
C+ is about right for the E-Series if you ask me. They give pretty good gains and sound great. But if you ride hard or race you might have a problem with the bottom mount and maybe the pipe-to-muffler weld breaking. Thats what happened to my old e-series slip and to my buddies pro-meg full.
Also, I would'nt think the Duncan pipe would be too bad of a pipe, they should actually be pretty good for mid-top power since the exhaust goes uncollected... It all depends on where you want the power I guess..
:cool:

09-20-2008, 12:10 AM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
That statement is very wrong.. Duals work great when done properly, and duncan/DMC perfected it.

The duncan is similar to the DMC, with a few small differences. On a pipe shootout I read a while back, and SOTP, they are one of the top gains, DMC and duncan. The only other pipe that made more power was the curtis sparks by .3hp.. not even noticable.

So, it's your choice, but if you want power I would stay with what you have... and if anything you would be going to a better sounding pipe, not preforming.

Here we go again, jumping in with both feet and harping on about that poo alien pipe.

09-20-2008, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by Ikilla2
Here we go again, jumping in with both feet and harping on about that poo alien pipe.

Here we go again, you going completely off subject and starting a fight:rolleyes:

I was trying to convince him he has a good exhaust. It would of sucked if he sold it cheap because he thought it was crap and ended up loosing money.

So suck it up and stop trying to start arguments.

09-20-2008, 02:10 PM
:muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle: :muscle:

hypersnyper6947
09-23-2008, 04:37 PM
here is a pic of my e-series, you can see its different than any e-series i have ever seen.

Pipeless416
09-23-2008, 04:45 PM
i believe thats just a pro meg. there is the pro-meg, and the s bend.

TheNewn
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
here is a pic of my e-series, you can see its different than any e-series i have ever seen.

Looks just like every e-series i've ever seen, minus a couple discs.

Pipeless416
09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

hes talking about the mid-pipe. pro-megs are just less common.

hypersnyper6947
09-24-2008, 12:57 AM

Look in front of the can/muffler portion see how bid the pipe is going in to the actual muffler.