View Full Version : 2008 525 outlaw irs

robzilla
09-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Deciding on wheter or not to trade in 08 sportsman 500efi on 08 outlaw. How much more maintenance is there to do on the outlaw. Does everyone go strictly on changing oil every 15 hours. On the 08 outlaws does the rear rim still rub the rear arms? Are the plastic fasteners all the same, or like the 07? I live in PA, and ride about 1-2 times a week, and usually put on about 30-40 miles a ride. How many miles do you get out of a tank of gas? Ive been reading about the 07 outlaw, with the lil issues that has. Are the issues pretty much fixed for the 08's? Any help would be appreciated!

ROB

OutlawBill
09-15-2008, 02:33 PM
yes on the wheels and the same fasteners the big fix is in the 09 10 inch rear wheels less fasteners (all the same in 09) no more pro steer and the 09 is lighter.

robzilla
09-15-2008, 05:07 PM
What exactly is pro steer? How does it work. SO, some people have had problems with rubbing on the inside on the rears? How often you ride yours, and would you consider it reliable. I had a vforce 700 before I got the sportsman 500, and that was real reliable besides reglaur tune ups and maintenance. For how much I rode it anyways!

ROB

SSJEFF
09-16-2008, 11:59 PM
grind the nubs off the bottoms of the a-arms and it will help with the wheels rubbing. I have had no issues beside cosmetic though.

The pro steering has the inner tie rods in line with the upper and lower inner a-arm nounts. This reduces bump steer. For rough riding though the system has to be beefed up quite a bit. Like Outlawbill said, they went to a standard system for 09. with that I think the 09 outlaw will be pretty dependable besides the cheap wheel bearings/ easy fix to upgrade to better ones.

The IRS sounds like what you would like, a great ride that is very forgiving when it comes to harsh landings. get the shocks custom setup and it will be evn better.