PDA

View Full Version : Flippin' Front Rims... Good or Bad?

gel1197
09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
I have a 1998 LT80 that my 8 year old rides mainly in the woods and trails. No racing unless he feels like racing daddy to a turn or something. I have flipped the rear rims and put Carlisle Trail Wolf 19X7-8 tires on them. Great set up for the rear.

I have been researching flipping the front rims idea and since I have a second set of rear rims I was going to flip them and use them on the front as well. I know I have to "modify" the valve stems and have bought 2 valve stems hole plugs from the local tire shop.

I think the added width will be enough to make a difference without causing bump steer and excessive strain on bearings and steering linkage.

Has anyone tried this? My son will be moving up in a year or two and I really can't justify spending the $$$ on widening the front.

gel1197
09-16-2008, 06:35 AM
ok I found out all 4 rims are the same but I still plan on flipping the front ones. Any advice?

LT80
09-16-2008, 06:58 AM
As you know, you have to plug the holes and drill new ones. You shouldn't have any issues w/anything turning the wheels around.

Advise,,sure..:)
You mentioned moving your child up in 2 years at 10.
IMO, you will be making a common mistake. As soon as your child even comes close to being efficient on the handling of a 90cc, you want to make a change. At 10, he's just getting big enough to throw the machine around and have some fun.
You may (ok, will) need motor work as he will be getting bored with a 30 mph machine.
My daughter and alot of other boys have raced the LT80 till 15.
Again, just my opinion. :)

gel1197
09-16-2008, 07:25 AM
Great Advice as always. I love this little quad and will probably keep it around for years to come. I have lots of spare I just have to convince the wife that a spare quad is ok!

Your opinion is noted and really your probably right.

He will enjoy the 80 for a FEW more years before moving up. Thanks again