PDA

View Full Version : sputter down low?

babydx63x
09-14-2008, 08:35 PM
after about 30 minutes of riding my 400ex will not run so great at 1/8-1/2 throttle. it will sputter and kick andwant to stall, but if im on the throttle its fine. i have a spal fan on the cooler and always have it on. it seems that its always at this one place i ride at that has alot of water. i dont know if im sucking in water somewhere and its not letting it run good at low throttle? or is the coil overheating? i was having a similar problem the other week and i leaned out the needle one notch and it made it much better.

mods are slip on pipe, stock airbox setup with a k&n and outerwear. 38 pilot 3 1/4 turns out dyno jet 138 main and clip on 2nd notch.

babydx63x
09-15-2008, 09:41 PM
anyone?

EX LONERIDER
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
keep it away from the water.... you'll get misfire issues if you get water into the electrical system. im sure with the heat going it archs into water near the plug...

babydx63x
09-16-2008, 08:22 AM
so 400ex's cant get wet? never heard of such a thing...what can i do to fix this?

MtnEX
09-16-2008, 02:35 PM
Go to the "How-To" forum here.

Somewhere in there, maybe the second or third page, there is a how-to for the fuel screw / pilot screw. You do the adjusting after the engine is hot.

My guess is that you are a little off there. Maybe too many turns out... could be you need a larger Pilot Jet... could be you have some trash in there somewhere.