PDA

View Full Version : Rear Shock question

stoopidbot
09-14-2008, 07:55 PM
I'm about to buy some Elkas for the front and rear. My question is with the rear elka in place, will I be ok with the stock linkage until I can afford it? And will the stock airbox pose a problem?

d3ktrix
09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Which links you can use depends if its a long travel or standard travel shock.
Has to be the correct length to work with the link.
Also depends what it's valved/sprung for.

stoopidbot
09-15-2008, 07:02 AM
So Elka will get me the right stuff, just tell them I have stock link?

09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
If you tell them its a stock link, they will set the shock up for it. However it will not be a long travel shock. And if you ever get say a gt thunder link you will have to send it to either elka or somewhere else to get revalved for the new link.

If you're going to get elka's front and rear, that is easily 1650 even with the cheap ones. Whats an extra 200 for a new link...it will save you a pain down the road.

stoopidbot
09-15-2008, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Prodigal
If you tell them its a stock link, they will set the shock up for it. However it will not be a long travel shock. And if you ever get say a gt thunder link you will have to send it to either elka or somewhere else to get revalved for the new link.

If you're going to get elka's front and rear, that is easily 1650 even with the cheap ones. Whats an extra 200 for a new link...it will save you a pain down the road. Fronts and rear are about 1800 bucks. The link is another 400 bucks.

d3ktrix
09-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Don't cheap out and skip the link.
It makes the largest improvement in the rear by far.

Also if u keep the stock link you'll have to get a standard travel rear shock. Which can not be converted to long travel. You would have to replace the shock if you ever wanted to upgrade.

Even if you didn't care about long travel. Later on if you ever decided to go with any standard travel after market link the shock would have to be revalved and possibly resprung for the new link.
In the end costing you a few hundred more and down time.

And the Elka Pro Dual link is one of the best you can get.
Also since you have an 07 you have the option of getting the LSR DC6 linkage. Only like $250 and just as good if not better then the Elka link.