PDA

View Full Version : Axis Troubles

mooseracerX
09-14-2008, 06:54 PM
Today went and tried out my rear Axis. We started with the preload cranked up quite high 11" ride height w/o me on it and the compression on "4". It was impossible to go through the whoops w/ any kind of speed as you can see in the video lol. We cranked the preload down quite a bit and played with the compression. It seemed to get better but I'd like your opinion if we should go down more on the preload or would it be in the tender spring cross over or maybe just the whoops or the person riding it? lol Haven't measured it for ride height so I'm not sure what it was at. It never really bottomed out and it didn't buck as bad with the stock 400ex rear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9HP8Mz20Bg

LeGaCyGiAnT124
09-14-2008, 08:44 PM
woah I thought you were going over the bars for sure. I don't have an axis rear but on my rear shock if it helps i bumped the rebound up 1 turn away from the fastest motion and the compression to about half.

mooseracerX
09-15-2008, 06:25 AM
I thought I was too. I'm not sure about rebound, the guy I bought it from said it had compression/preload adjustment only. I'm thinking I'll just turn down the preload some more and then measure for ride height.

fandl450r
09-15-2008, 07:20 AM
What's your compression at? Adjust the ride height with you on the quad, should sit around 7-7.5" from the rear frame rail to floor. Keep the compression somehwere in the middle. What weight was it set for?

mooseracerX
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
My compression was anywhere from 4 to 1. I'll have check ride height later. I'm not sure what weight it was valved for. It really sucks because it is the softest ride and never bottomed out once but the whoops are a different story.

400exMO
09-15-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by mooseracerX
My compression was anywhere from 4 to 1. I'll have check ride height later. I'm not sure what weight it was valved for. It really sucks because it is the softest ride and never bottomed out once but the whoops are a different story.
You want a shock to bottom out around once a lap. That means you're using the full shock travel.
Set the ride height first then set the compression to the middle. Work if from there. I think compression probably needs to be slowed down.

mooseracerX
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Thanks for the ideas. Ride height with me on it was right at 8" which is what it says in the manual. Mitch I did read that in the .pdf Axis manual. The track I ran yesterday was mostly wet sand so I think it should be fine on other tracks bottom out wise anyways. I'm going to play with the compression maybe the tender spring cross over too.