PDA

View Full Version : New Drr break-in period

3400ben
09-14-2008, 02:21 PM
I bought a new drr 90. What are your opinions on the break-in period? Heat cycle it or just get on and ride? Choice of oils? I've talked to 2 different guys and they both said something different.

bulldogfallon
09-14-2008, 05:21 PM
Couple of heat cycles and then run it hard

You will find various opinions on this subject

#404's Dad
09-14-2008, 09:29 PM
Break it in like its gonna be ridden :)

Logan #34's Dad
09-15-2008, 02:05 AM
Amsoil Dominator rules. premix 50:1 - Eliminate the oil injection.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
09-15-2008, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by #8trx450r
Break it in like its gonna be ridden :)
X2
I ran the piss out of my 400.

forgiven
09-15-2008, 08:08 AM
Some will argue to not use synthetic for the first tank while doing any heat cycle work. I have done it both ways a few times (with my own machines) and notice no difference even in how long it takes to get hot. Personally I use Castor 927 at 36:1 because I find it is easier to read plug color than the Dominator or Bel-ray HR-1 although I am a big Amsoil groupie when it comes to their 4 stroke ATV 0W-40...but I digress.

Some will say it is broke in the first 5 minutes you ride. I have spent an entire tank never going above half throttle and always varying RPM's (let me tell you it takes a long time doing that). Especially if you don't run it more than 10-15 minutes then let it cool to the touch. I also added an extra ounce of premix for the tank on the previous method. That being said the one that I did that method is on year 2 of the original cylinder although we have not checked his compression (my son's 07 bike) but the current owner has informed me he is going to put a 54mm kit on this winter and I will know more then when we mic it and examine it. That one was and is still oil injected.

I have also mixed one up at 36:1 and I (~210 lbs) rode the Bejebbers (it is a technical term) out of it for 15 minutes at a time for 2 cycles and that is the best running one of the bunch. My other son's latest 90 I took him to an indoor MX track and the first moto I told him not to stay WOT for extended periods and the second moto I told him to get after it. Both still run great and are on their original cylinders since December.

I honestly believe unless you break it in running WOT down a gravel road for many miles or let it sit an idle for 1 hour or more you would have to almost try to screw it up. Then again like my investment banker tells me "Past performance is not indicative of future returns" but it gives you a good barometer though.

Personally a couple of 15 minute runs with your rider with the limiter screw in so it can only go 90% throttle maximum in an area where he is on the throttle and off the throttle and no real long straights will give you good results. I too believe in break it in the way you will ride it...with the above two exceptions already noted.