PDA

View Full Version : 400ex tranny seized up

interceptorz28
09-14-2008, 08:50 AM
I found a cheap 2000 400ex for sale. Everything looks good on it except the kid says the tranny is cooked. He told me that the bike starts right up fine but the wheels are locked and you have to start it with the clutch "in" and it just dies when you let off the clutch.

I am wondering if it is worth it to fix it. What is involved etc...

Does the case have to be split?

Even to part it out its prolly worth $650.

gojk
09-14-2008, 10:44 PM
I would start tearing it down until I found what was locked. Sounds like it could be anything from the clutch back. I have had a piece of the cylinder sleeve break off and get into the tranny. That wasn't pretty, but the EX engine isn't that hard to tear down and put back together.

sc400ex_rider
09-23-2008, 03:55 PM
the 2nd gears are know to go bad on those. it could be a bent shift fork. if the motor is running that is a plus. pull the filter and look for trash

86 Quad R
09-23-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by sc400ex_rider
the 2nd gears are know to go bad on those. it could be a bent shift fork. if the motor is running that is a plus. pull the filter and look for trash

agree'd.... inspect the oil while draining it and as stated the engine isnt that hard to find and arent that hard to tear down.

another thing ya may try doing is to remove the chain and with the counter sprocket in place, is to rock it while trying to shift through the gears.