PDA

View Full Version : What is my 450R carb missing/needing?

Snipe
09-13-2008, 10:38 AM
Alright ya'll just got my carb in today and I have a few good questions for you pics will be included.

I Know now that this carb isnt complete I am missing the Valve Set (Hot start plug) But when I buy this I know it is suppose to connect to a cable right? I cannot find what is needed to get the plug and everything and what exactly is that plug/cable do?

Also Can you use the 400EX fuel lines to the Carb or do you have to use something els?

And also on the installing. Is there anyway to use the 400EX motor clamp instead of using a homemade deally?

Snipe
09-13-2008, 10:45 AM
The plug im needing to replace is the empty hole on the right next to the choke any help on what all I need or were to find these will be very welcomed. Thanks a million.

09-13-2008, 10:47 AM
you can just plug that...it is not needed on the 400ex...the hotstart is for kickstart models...it is like a choke but opposite...

Snipe
09-13-2008, 11:54 AM
Is this true? Anyone els have anything to add? Not needed needed cause I have no idea the 450R is a dif ball game compared to the EX models.

sheldo
09-13-2008, 01:02 PM
u can plug it or get a new cable for it u need a 450r gas line and need to drill a new spot for one of the vent hoses on top and plug up the old spot
look for a post by zrpilot he has a good one and vary helpful

Snipe
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I read his post but it left a bit open. I was someone would follow threw with the whole install lol.

I pretty well know how to install it but what I was asking is you cant use the stock 400EX hose? Is it just to short since the 450R carb is longer and puts the gas intake tube farther down or what?

Im sure I could just get a fuel line somewhere without having to be HONDA brand just as long as its a fuel line lol.

Pipeless416
09-13-2008, 01:41 PM
the problem with the fuel line is that the inlet for the 450r carb is about twice the diameter of the petcock connection. it is also beyond the limits of stretching the hose. you must use a 450r fuel line.. i got a new one for like $7.

leasureryan
09-13-2008, 03:28 PM
just shoot some Honda bond silicon into the hot start boot, then screw it back in. to use hot start cable, which isn't even need on an EX...you must also purchase a complete 450R clutch perch and levers...which is pricey...so if not needed...screw it.

Must trim choke lever, or remove all together.

must use 450R fuel hose.

Must move vacume hose to side, drill hole in alternate side line...plug old one with silicon. or tap it and insert a bolt. If you don't do this, the fuel tank will rest right there, and pinch the vac hose, which isn't good.

get adapter, so you don't have to move air box up, or...just move your air box.

dremel out intake boots on both sides

jet it... and take it for a spin!

Snipe
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
I dont have the hot start boot lol im just gonna get a rubber plug and silicone it in.

Im not really scared of any of it now just gotta track down some jets lol.

Gonna start with a 175 main It has a 172 main in it already.

I cannot find the pilot jet any help?

leasureryan
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
here you go

Snipe
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Alright yall I must be the dumbest person ever (no comments on that please:D )

I took the carb apart again and the pilot was starring at me. So this carb is set at a 42 pilot and a 172main. I just gotta hook her up and see what she runs like. I am hoping maybe just maybe I will luck out on the jetting lol :p hey we can wish right.

MtnEX
09-14-2008, 12:53 AM
Is the performance gain really worth all this work, rigging, and cost?

What makes it better?

Snipe
09-14-2008, 12:58 AM
Its suppose to give a increase in throttle response and power threw all power ranges. So for a $50 to $100 carb you can get a better deal than buying a $500 aftermarket carb. That I have read are very hard to get adjusted correctly.

Snipe
09-14-2008, 02:48 PM
Alright this is what I did to get mine to bolt up without moving the air box or anything.

The 450R carb actually uses the stock mounting plate rather easy.

As you all know the airbox is just a tad two short. I took my air intake tube and measured the inside diam it was 2 1/4 inch. And I took the carb to O Reily's with me. I bought some 2 1/2 air intake hose for you need about 2 1/2 inches or so and I went over to were they keep the cheap exhaust tips and such.

They have some small peices and sorts I measured them and found one that was 2 1/4 inches I wanted my fit to be a little snug.

Took home and I cut 1" of the exhaust tubing out (this stuff is kinda thin so be carefull if clamping to hold) I used a hack saw. Then I cut off about 2" of the rubber air intake.

You need to cut the second ring off the air intake tube you can sand it off or a pocket knife works pretty easy as well.

I pushed the exhaust tube up into the air intake boot (this will reinforce the air intake) and then put your hose clamps on the tubes. Put the Rubber tube piece you cut on the carb and hose clamp it in place then. using a bit of force push the rubber tube onto the air intake tube then pull your other hose clamp up over the metal ring that is inside the tube and host clamp that side on.

Your hose clamps should look like 1 big hose clamp. this works does not leak or anything. I have 1 pic but I will I have to pull my carb off again to rejet and I will get more pics of this and I hope it will work for you as well. Cant beat a $10 price tag and its fast reliable and easy.

http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3967/015go0.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
http://img523.imageshack.us/img523/3967/015go0.7f2d6b6b9f.jpg (http://g.imageshack.us/g.php?h=523&i=015go0.jpg)

Snipe
09-15-2008, 11:22 AM
I ordered a 48 and 50 pilot and a 180 185 and 190 main.

It will be 2 or 3 days before there here so I will get pics of how I installed the carb when I get them and take it back off. Its actually pretty cheap to do and its easy as well.

Snipe
09-18-2008, 06:45 PM
I have been working on my carb guy didnt have the 50 so I have to have him order it.

I put a 48 in it and it will now idel fuel screw at 2 and 1/4 turn out

But now it idels but it backfires a bit in the carb, is this cause I need a bigger pilot jet or need to adjust the fuel screw? It got dark on me so I cant work on it anymore though I did get my shocks isntalled before it got dark.

Any help as to why its backfiring in the carb would be great. I have the main jets but im trying to get it to idel first, the main has to go bigger it backfires on decel and just need to get the pilot or idel set first thanks for the help I love this board!!