PDA

View Full Version : Problem with a carb's screw

Punkmaster Flex
09-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Hi,

I got a question about jetting my 2006 Honda 250EX.

First of all, I'd like to thank you for maing this thread, it really helped me making my quad faster (If you can call a 250EX 'fast' lol). I did the following steps:

1) Make sure your bike is clean prior. Turn Gas line to OFF
2) Pop the seat off
3) Remove tabs off left side plastic (left side when sitting on bike)
4) Remove tabs off airbox brackets
5) loosen clamps to snorkel and carb
6) remove crankcase breather tube (major PITA if you havent done it before)
7) Yank airbox out

But I'm stuck at:

8) remove 2 nuts holding carb to intake manifold

One of the two nuts isn't really accessible easilly so I would like to know how you guys remove it? It would really help me as I can't do anything else right now because of that nut.

Also, I was planning to jet my quad this way:

Stock exhaust, no airbox lid, UNI/K&N filter: 102 main, same e-clip setting

But I'm not having those exact settings. Mine is like this:

Unbrided stock exhaust, no airbox lid + few holes in the airbox, UNI filter:

What main jet setting should I use as ince I can't adjust the e-clip setting?

Thanks in advance for your help! :)

dirtdawg
09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
first of all, those reccomendations aren't that accurate. i could not go by those guidelines for jetting mine. the nut is kind of tricky, but you just have to keep taking the wrench off and spinning it like half an inch and do it again. if you are gonna remove your aitbox, just do 2 sizes up from stock. if you are gonna do air filter and lid removed, it should be good 2-3 sizes from stock.

Punkmaster Flex
09-14-2008, 10:14 AM
Ok thanks. I never played with a carb before yesterday. It first took me an hour to get the carb out because of that damn screw. I opened the bottom to see where the main jet was and then closed it again. I dont know what I did but when I put the gas tank to 'ON' the gaz was leaking by the overflow. I had to take it apart all again and take another 30 minutes to remove airbox, remove carb, unmount the bottom, check everything, put it back in place, put the airbox back and I still havent installed my main jet lol. Now the quad is all good and this week I'll get my main jet and finally can install my air filter. We learn from our mistakes I guess. :D

tedwilley
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM
FYI, the main jet doesn't really affect the fact your needle isn't adjustable.
needle jet is used 1/4 to 3/4 throttle
main jet is used 3/4 to WOT

And dirtdawg is right on about that pesky nut, patience, patience, patience.

If you are popping on decel, you'll have to adjust the air/fuel screw, and/or change the pilot jet (which does affect the needle settings). if you still can't get it close enough you'll need to change the needle.
If you want an adjustable needle, either buy one from Dynojet or a late model one from Honda.

Punkmaster Flex
09-17-2008, 06:41 PM
Ok, so where is that air/fuel scew? I'm sorry this is my first quad and I never played with an engien before that. I'm willing to learn, though! :)

dirtdawg
09-17-2008, 07:15 PM
if you look on the bottom of the carb bowl towards the front of the quad, you will see a goldish screw. increase by half turns to get desired setting. it is easy, just gotta fool with it. it is a tough spot so you gotta use a very small screwdriver. good luck!