PDA

View Full Version : TCS vs. Elka for MX

R-Crazy
12-09-2002, 09:27 AM
where does TCS and elka stand vs PEP and axis. I have heard Elka is good for XC and TCS is in the middle of PEP and AXIS. I want to run MX and not spend 2 grand of LT shock. Which would be better for MX in long travel, TCS or elka?
Thanks

dave

OCCRA288
12-09-2002, 09:30 AM
If I was running Mx I would buy TCS. They just have more experience with the MX valving. But I will be buying an Elka/Houser LT +1 front end soon.

forum
12-09-2002, 12:34 PM
elka

QuadTrix6
12-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Go with PEP they got a lot of MX experience, and Creech Rides em ...just my 2cents

R-Crazy
12-09-2002, 01:19 PM
o, thats great, i got one person saing elka, one TCS, and one PEP. :blah maybe if this doesnt go to well, ill post a poll.:eek:
Im sorta leaning to TCS right now, but i have no idea.

dave

Extremeracer167
12-09-2002, 01:29 PM
ill help ya out. AXIS;)

Sparks425Ex
12-09-2002, 01:31 PM
Well Here It is on a Platter for ya:

You aren't gonan get an answer which is the best. For the simple fact that no one knows. And because their is no real one best.

Elka Guys will say get elka and Pep ad Axis Suck
And Pep Guys say Elka Sucks.

It is just how it goes. People don't wanna feel they have bought a product when they could have gotten better so they rip on the others.

I went with Elka. Price is right and A great shock. They are a big Xc shock but you will see them more prodomianatly in Mx this year. They were very new last year and ppl already had their sponsers. Wait for teh Mx season to come and see what everyoen is running.

Pep= Experience. Great Shocks-Long Wait
Axis=Experience.Great Shock-Expensive- Decent Wait
Elka=Not Experienced In Mx-Great Shock-Good Price- 1 Week wait
TCS=Experience-Great Shocks- Decent Price-Short Wait time.

Just do what I did and decide how long you are willing to wait. And how much you wanna spend. I really didn't care how much I spent and wanted them before 4 months(PEP Wait).

And I got a great deal on Elkas.

You take your pick. Anyone you will not be disappointed with.

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-09-2002, 01:33 PM
For MX I'd get PEP or TCS...just my opinion.

OutlawEX
12-09-2002, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by RiPPiNiTuP7
For MX I'd get PEP or TCS...just my opinion.

:D

racin 400
12-09-2002, 02:08 PM
tcs is the bomb.

12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
PEP

ECAthumperEX33
12-09-2002, 04:51 PM
For MX I've heard nothing but bad about Elka. They fade too quick, can never get them set up right, etc. I have heard nothing but good things about PEP and Axis for MX. None of my friends have TCS so I don't really know much about them. I probably would have gone with PEP but the long wait kinda turned me off. I can get shocks at dealer cost so the price wasn't really a difference. My final decision was Axis. Front and rear with Gibson front and rear. (also get a really good price on) Should all work good.

forum
12-09-2002, 05:57 PM
remember elka grew very fast and sold many of there early models to alot of people. They have been making leeps and bounds to build better shocks. Im not saying they are the best. I just remmeber hateing my rear tcs i had on my 250r. And loving some recs i tried out. Since then i've tried more elka's and I can honestly say i could tell a big difference in earlier models. I also rode some dual rate axis on some guys 250r they felt amazing! to say the least. I like axis and elka. I havent tried PEP but they have to be good considering the people that use them and the wait for them. But im stickin with elka. O yea they just sponsered me too. So i guess my opinion kinda losses its effect but, its just an opinion

motoboy66
12-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Does anyone know the shaft sizes of these shocks? I thought I saw them posted somewhere once, but I can’t find it anywhere. I too am in the same boat with what shocks to buy. Thanks

12-10-2002, 09:18 AM
Elka are 5/8 inch shafts on all their shocks I believe.

TCS I have no idea,,they used 1/2 shafts for awhile but I don't know now.. Mo would know though..he's a TCS guy..:D

wilkin250r
12-10-2002, 09:27 AM
The question of "Which shock is best?" has been nearly beaten to death without a clear winner. However, I have a slightly different question...

Of those that bought Elka, who WOULD have gone with PEP if the wait wasn't so long?

Likewise, who has tried both?

OCCRA288
12-10-2002, 09:32 AM
I have ridden the PEP standard race shocks and the Elka shocks w/ reb and comp adj.

I personally felt like the Elka's performed better.