PDA

View Full Version : major backfire

geezy
09-12-2008, 07:19 PM
my ex is backfiring like crazy ,y, please help,o i never repacked my exhaust is dat it

09-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Couple things I can think of..

1) Running too lean.
2) Running too rich.

When did it start popping? Have you always had the exhaust and it just started recently? Then I would say packing.

If you just installed it recently, my guess would be you never jetted it and its running lean.

coryatver
09-12-2008, 07:31 PM
if it is the stock exhuast you dont' need packing.

if you didn't change anything before it started check the filter clean that and the air box. also put in some fresh gas.

if that doesn't fix it you will need to take off the carb and clean it.

geezy
09-12-2008, 07:32 PM
yes i alllways had it and its been doing it even after rebuild, plus a lot of tapping in my head now

09-12-2008, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by coryatver
if it is the stock exhuast you dont' need packing.

if you didn't change anything before it started check the filter clean that and the air box. also put in some fresh gas.

if that doesn't fix it you will need to take off the carb and clean it.

Didn't think he might have a stock exhaust.. lol.

If its the stocker on there, check for any holes or leaks in the intake boots. You could be sucking in raw air and leaning the motor out.

If not, then like cory said clean the carb, air filter, and change the oil/sparkplug and such.

A fouled sparkplug will make it run like crap too

09-12-2008, 07:34 PM
Originally posted by geezy
yes i alllways had it and its been doing it even after rebuild, plus a lot of tapping in my head now

did you ever adjust the valves?

geezy
09-12-2008, 07:52 PM
my valves are new an 5 angle cut its an e-series slip on

warrior4fun
09-13-2008, 02:03 PM
mine is backfiring to and needs to be repacked real bad. could that make it bogg out in higher revs, sorry to jump in

justin1022
09-13-2008, 02:40 PM
check header for cracks.

09-13-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by warrior4fun
mine is backfiring to and needs to be repacked real bad. could that make it bogg out in higher revs, sorry to jump in

1)Repack the exhaust.
2)Clean/oil the air-filter
3)Check intake boots for cracks, sucking in raw air will make it run lean and isn't good for the engine.
4) Change oil and oil filter
5) Check for cracks/openings in exhaust

If problem still persists, tear the carb off. By the sounds of it, your needle is too lean and your main is too rich, thus the bogging on top and bad popping.
Also clean the carb thoroughly.

Check the jets and needle clip position, and we'll help ya out some!

justin1022
09-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by DMC-4OOEX
1)Repack the exhaust.
2)Clean/oil the air-filter
3)Check intake boots for cracks, sucking in raw air will make it run lean and isn't good for the engine.
4) Change oil and oil filter
5) Check for cracks/openings in exhaust

If problem still persists, tear the carb off. By the sounds of it, your needle is too lean and your main is too rich, thus the bogging on top and bad popping.
Also clean the carb thoroughly.

Check the jets and needle clip position, and we'll help ya out some!

if the boot is off a bit then it wont run past 1/4 throttle mine fell off alot before and i was jetted perfect.

09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
if the boot is off a bit then it wont run past 1/4 throttle mine fell off alot before and i was jetted perfect.

I didn't say off, but sometimes they may dryrot or crack and suck in that little bit more of air and it will run like crap.