PDA

View Full Version : CR 250 Intake Boot

mdickerson319
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Im looking to get a CR 250 intake boot to fit my 38a/s carb. Is there a certain year that I should order? Looked back through old threads, but no year was ever given.

Master LTR450
09-11-2008, 05:55 PM
anything from 92-01

deathman53
09-11-2008, 05:56 PM
I use a 86-98 cr250r rad valve and 1/2 reed spacer. The Cr boot is at a different angle and in shorter than the trx boot.

86 Quad R
09-11-2008, 07:07 PM
UPP sells an intake boot that'll work for what your wanting to do. no spacer required and fits like a glove.

Intake (http://www.uppracing.com/item.php?pid=232&cid=51)

All250R
09-11-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by mdickerson319
Im looking to get a CR 250 intake boot to fit my 38a/s carb. Is there a certain year that I should order? Looked back through old threads, but no year was ever given.
What cage are you fitting it to? Most CR boots have stuffers built into them. The 88-89 don't and have the correct angle for the TRX. If you're mounting it to a flat faced cage like a v-force you'll have to cut the stuffers off any other year CR boot.

If you want to eliminate the reed spacer that you'll need to make your carb meet, but don't want to lose crankcase compression, and want to get rid of the airbox too, let me know.

Otherwise you'll need a reed spacer to fit the intake system to shorter CR boot. Honda designed the CR with the carb closer to the crankcase signal which is good for larger carbs on 250's. Decreasing crankcase compression to do it isn't always what you'd plan on though if you had a choice.

Master LTR450
09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by All250R
What cage are you fitting it to? Most CR boots have stuffers built into them. The 88-89 don't and have the correct angle for the TRX. If you're mounting it to a flat faced cage like a v-force you'll have to cut the stuffers off any other year CR boot.

If you want to eliminate the reed spacer that you'll need to make your carb meet, but don't want to lose crankcase compression, and want to get rid of the airbox too, let me know.

Otherwise you'll need a reed spacer to fit the intake system to shorter CR boot. Honda designed the CR with the carb closer to the crankcase signal which is good for larger carbs on 250's. Decreasing crankcase compression to do it isn't always what you'd plan on though if you had a choice.

Ok so if i wanted to put this on a pyramid reed cage which boot would i use 88-89?

MossboysRacing
09-13-2008, 07:41 PM
i actually have the same question. I have a 38a/s and am running a v-force 2 reeds. So 92-01 and cut the stuffers off ?

2muchquad
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
im running the 95 cr250 reed cage and boot set up with my a/s carb.I didnt like how the rad valve held the carb,since im not running a air box,it didnt seem solid enough for me,i may play around later on with it though;)

All250R
09-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Master LTR450
Ok so if i wanted to put this on a pyramid reed cage which boot would i use 88-89?
I've never used a pyramid cage, so I don't know what the opening looks like, but if it has it's own air guides (stuffers), then the 88-89 boot will at least prevent you from having to cut CR stuffers off. My guess is Duncan's cage has it's own "stuffer".

The real problem I've noticed with mounting aftermarket cages to X brand boot is getting the openings port matched and jogs smoothed so you don't have unecesary turbulence impeding smooth intake charge. 90-01 boots have various opening shapes and sizes to match what Honda was trying to do with the motor for that particular year.

mdickerson319
09-21-2008, 10:48 AM
My current set-up is V-Force 3 reeds, spacer, and cr250 boot. I am unsure on the year boot. The boot has a slight tear in it and I need to replace it. I found another set-up and was wondering if it might work better. cr250 boot, spacer, and cr250 reeds cage. I am running this on a CT Racing 310 nov-pv.

norcalduner
09-21-2008, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by mdickerson319

I got one from ESR new that I installed but never run since I ended up using a billet unit from ebay. You can have it for $45 shipped to your door.

Master LTR450
09-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
UPP sells an intake boot that'll work for what your wanting to do. no spacer required and fits like a glove.

Intake (http://www.uppracing.com/item.php?pid=232&cid=51)

Have you ever ordered from them? I ordered from them a little over a week ago and have seen nothing.

86 Quad R
09-27-2008, 08:04 AM
not directly but i had my machinist/parts guy to order one once. no issues.

thedeatons
02-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Resurrecting this thread.... Looking for the ideal setup here guys.

Laeger Pro-Trax frame with CR500 Linkage.
265 National motor
39mm PWK
VForce3 Reed Cage
Domes for 91 octane pump gas (I wanna keep it that way)

I already have a boot, dunno whether it was the best or not, no idea which one it is. The quad had this setup listed above with the stock airbox mounted up, so everything fits through my frame and shock okay.

Thinking about those Ebay air filter plates that use the stock filter, but they will not allow the ESR centermount pipes. I am also concerned about using the stock Honda boot from the plate to the carb, seems like a restrictive idea.

I am a duner, looking for a nice fat filter, and a good intake tract setup. Any idears?

86 Quad R
02-23-2009, 06:19 AM
some of the best builders in the country use the OEM carb to filter rubber boot and have done many feild tests(in the sand) to compare it to varying setups and will tell you that there is better gains of the signal as it travels through the tapered effect of the stock boot. :D

redred55
02-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Originally posted by thedeatons
Resurrecting this thread.... Looking for the ideal setup here guys.

Laeger Pro-Trax frame with CR500 Linkage.
265 National motor
39mm PWK
VForce3 Reed Cage
Domes for 91 octane pump gas (I wanna keep it that way)

I already have a boot, dunno whether it was the best or not, no idea which one it is. The quad had this setup listed above with the stock airbox mounted up, so everything fits through my frame and shock okay.

Thinking about those Ebay air filter plates that use the stock filter, but they will not allow the ESR centermount pipes. I am also concerned about using the stock Honda boot from the plate to the carb, seems like a restrictive idea.

I am a duner, looking for a nice fat filter, and a good intake tract setup. Any idears?

I'm running the ebay filter plate on my Laeger you are talking about and really liked the way it works. I have a 39 pwk. Toss your air box!! I also tried an ESR pipe, but it would not fit between the frame where the pipe joins. It would rub the frame on my Laeger narrow front. You may need a pipe like I have that splits under the tank....like a LRD, CT, PT etc..

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k140/redred55/IMG_5141.jpg

thedeatons
02-23-2009, 10:22 PM
Beautiful shot. I would love to see some pics of your pipe and what you mean. My pipe is supposed to be an ESR, but has no plate welded on. Maybe just an ESR silencer...

What year is your Laeger frame? Yours has features mine does not have, like the chain roller mount, and the rear coolant overflow bottle mount.