PDA

View Full Version : not the usual cam question

supernatural
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
i have a question about hot cams. i was going to buy one from this guy but the ones i see have the cam chain sprocket on them in the pictures. his doesn't, it's just the shaft itself. question is do i need the cam chain sprocket or will the stock 400ex one do it? what else do i need besides the cam itself? or will just the cam do? thanks for the help

09-11-2008, 05:14 PM
It's recomended that you run a high compression piston.

Without it, the cam actually increases the lift time which lowers your compression. Thus will result in less bottom end and possibly mid, because you're making it have more top end while lowering the compression.

That's why they make such a great combo.

So for example (numbers may be a little off):
Stock compression on a 400ex is 9.1:1
By adding a Hotcams Stage 2, compression will be somewhere in the 7.7:1 range.

So if you're running stock compression, I recomend no more than a stage 1. Otherwise I would say it's not worth it.

drew416ex
09-11-2008, 08:34 PM
As far as the cam sprocket, you use the one on your stock cam. If there is not a flange to bolt the sprocket to, its the old version of the hotcam and you will have to get your flange pressed off of the stock cam and put on the hotcam.

Snipe
09-11-2008, 08:53 PM
easy way to get it off?

Place metal in a freezer use a rubber hammer (RUBBER ONLY) and it will come in reason cold causes it to shrink yes it really works lol.