PDA

View Full Version : cooling solutions?

cbr
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
i know all four strokes run hot. ive got engine ice for coolant, heat wrap on my header, yoshi full pipe, uni filter. i dont want to spend $500 for a large radiator! does any one else have any other tips or solutions i could try! plz, thanks!

blholtz
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
wire the fan to run all the time while the engine is running.

I actually wire my fan to the hot wire for the low beam head lights so that i can turn the fan on and off with the key. I did that so the when you start the motor you do not have the fan drawing on the battery. The other good thing is you can opt out of running the fan if you are running on cool day.

stoopidbot
09-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Check out CV4 radiator hoses. They are made of silicone and draw heat out of the coolant, and they are smoother than OEM hoses so coolant flows better.(as stated by CV4) They come in different colors. Look at my hose in this pic. Mine is red.
http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd103/kristinkoron/DSCN2853.jpg

Speed_MDS2
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Are you having cooling problems? I'm running a 14.1 piston and other goodies and I've had zero overheating issues. Stock radiator and stock coolant. I'f your bike is overheating and the temp lights comming on, you have a problem that new hoses or wiring the fan on all the time will not fix.

Drewltr450
09-13-2008, 08:46 AM
check your fluid level. my quad was running veryyy hot and i thought it was jetting but i found out i actuly blew a head gasket and all my fluid disapeered.

rowlrag
09-15-2008, 07:29 PM
Pull off the water pump cover and make sure the impeller is still there, the 08 is plastic and pretty sure 06,07 are too. After being overheated a few times the impeller melts away, a sure sign is when coolant pukes out the bottom of the pump.

Warnerade
09-16-2008, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by Speed_MDS2
Are you having cooling problems? I'm running a 14.1 piston and other goodies and I've had zero overheating issues. Stock radiator and stock coolant. I'f your bike is overheating and the temp lights comming on, you have a problem that new hoses or wiring the fan on all the time will not fix. x2.

jorgeez
09-16-2008, 01:56 AM
putting an oil cooler would be a good idea.

BUNNY (http://www.autopartsdeal.com/blog/)

LTR98 Rick
09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
I would try taking off the thermostat on the top right side of the engine (look in manual). Dirtbikes have never had thermostats and they run fine without them. I mean it might take a tad longer to get the quad warmed up. I did that to my LTR and i'd say it runs cooler cause it more coolant can cycle through the system.

Off-Road Maniac
09-16-2008, 09:32 AM
These pro design super coolers seem to help 3 or 4 degrees when installed in-line.

Super Cooler (http://www.hotseatpowersports.com/Pro-Design-Racing-In-Line-Super-Cooler-p/pdr-pd540.htm)

Sweendogie
09-16-2008, 01:18 PM
you could put a toggle switch on the fan so you can flip it on and off whenever you want.... takes 15 minutes to do and you dont have to worry about running it from your key and ruining your battery

blholtz
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Sweendogie
you could put a toggle switch on the fan so you can flip it on and off whenever you want.... takes 15 minutes to do and you dont have to worry about running it from your key and ruining your battery

If you have disconnected the head light you can use the light side of the key switch instead of adding a toggle somewhere. And it will not kill the battery, because when you turn the key off (walla) the fan goes off, also.

Sweendogie
09-16-2008, 10:48 PM
Originally posted by blholtz
If you have disconnected the head light you can use the light side of the key switch instead of adding a toggle somewhere. And it will not kill the battery, because when you turn the key off (walla) the fan goes off, also.
yea you could do that... i have a yfz so i dont have that feature... :blah: plus toggles are just sweet

Sweendogie
09-16-2008, 10:51 PM
:D

hatfield44
09-17-2008, 01:33 PM
Are you overheating?

cbr
09-22-2008, 07:28 AM
it runs very hot. me and my friends ride alot of backroads and tracks on the weekend. i just want it to keep the hp up and keep the motor strong for a long time. ive got cv4 hoses, i made an in-line cooler(havent installed it yet though), uni, yosh., engine ice, heat(header) wrap. 21" rear tires, 21" fronts. thanks for the fan/ toggle switch idea.

CdaleXtreme
09-27-2008, 09:52 PM
Did you get a temperature reading from the coolant while the bike was at running temperature?

If not, how do you know it is running hot?

The thing is, Suzuki's generally do not have temp issues.

Get your facts together, before you actually come to that conclusion, or worse spend money trying to cool the bike down, when it is doing a fine job as it is.

Ohh, and the story that CV-4 hoses act as a heat sink and lower water temperature. Now I have heard everything. :eek2:

Sweendogie
09-27-2008, 10:12 PM
No problem.... make sure you dont run it the whole time your riding or youll destroy your stator or your battery....

quad59
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
My 06 I shared with my wife and we would tag team the bike and ride it back to back and it never had an overheating problem. Sometimes I would race first and it would be covered in mud and still didnt overheat. If its really overheating it is not normal and you should get it fixed. I dont know if you said you had one or not but get a cherry bomb. Even if you already have one get another because I had one take dump on me once.