PDA

View Full Version : I have $800 to spend on suspension

ilikeboost
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Here is my situation. I bought a 400ex for the ol' lady and she said it rides like a dump truck. I rode it as well and it is pretty harsh. I ride mostly dunes (Glamis), and desert. She and i would like a smoother ride. It is really jerky and would like to make it plush. So should i buy an alright set of a-arms and okay shocks, or a bad *** set of shocks and keep the a-arms stock. She weighs 120 lb soaking wet and i weigh 200lb so i don't know what to get the shocks set up for. The most air this will see is about ten feet high so i don't need a race application. What should i get people? thanks for the info

Rip_Tear
09-11-2008, 03:31 PM
Well if you bought it for her, get them set up for her and stay off it... I'd suggest just going with the really good shocks and at a later date possibly do the a-arm if need be...

Snipe
09-11-2008, 03:57 PM
I would first suggest checking the shocks.

The stock shocks are adjustable and I would check and see what there at they might of had them turned up for jumping or for a heavier person who was riding.

If ya wanted to do something els then I would also consider buying a set of 450R front shocks (around $200) for a nice set and they will help.

Or if that didnt suit what I liked I would get a nice set of elka or pep shocks but that is gonna be up there towards or over your budget.

A arms arent really gonna be your your ride as compared to your shocks and I have heard how the 450R shocks will smooth out your ride alot that is why I myself bought a set and currently waiting for them to get here.

But other shocks are out there as well but not to sure of them. If the shocks you have are just worn out you could have them sent off for a rebuild but you would just be better off to buy a 450R set it would most likely run around the same price and it would be a upgrade from the factory shocks.

Just my 2 cents on the topic.

But first check the shocks as you might be able to solve the whole problem and put the $800 to other stuff.

09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
get 450r fronts and send them off to C&D, GTT, or Derisi to get revalved and resprung. All 3 shocks.

powermadd400ex
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
look for some good deals. check ebay and the classifieds on here. they usually have some pretty decent deals. i jus bought some elkas for 500 bucks off of ebay.

flauge
09-11-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
get 450r fronts and send them off to C&D, GTT, or Derisi to get revalved and resprung. All 3 shocks. x2:macho

EX LONERIDER
09-11-2008, 09:29 PM
id do shocks...... something simple. works worked for me. then, get a set of dune tires.... something real floaty and light. if yer riding on stock radials theyre gonna be rough... (less flex) dune tires will have more flex and float over bumps better giving a plusher ride through the dunes. play with tire pressure after that too.

my bike rides like a cady. set of reworked works performance tripple rate rezzies, dune trackers and about 3lbs of air in em make it for an easy ride all trip :macho

ilikeboost
09-12-2008, 03:28 AM
Well i ride a crf 450r so i take out the 400 and ride wheelies on it or when i go out at night to olds hill. I think i will look into a set of front dune tires to help out. Pretty much when she(I) ride it it's rough and i have set it to the softest setting. I like riding on pillows. if i were to get the 450r shocks and have em revalved what weight should i set it up for. she is 120lbs and i'm 200lbs. are the 450's single, or dual rate. Should i just go with a set of Pep's triple rate. thanks for the info

vAnS_77
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
I would get HLS shocks if you are going for a 800 or lower. They are made by the owner of GTT, they are some pretty great shocks from what I have read. For 200 more bucks, buy a pair of quadrate piggy elkas...so much better than GTT.

TheNewn
09-12-2008, 04:08 PM
Send the rear to get revalved, by C&D or GTT.

Get a STEERING STABILIZER.

Look carefully on ebay and in the for sale section of this forum for a good deal on front shocks.

I'd also suggest saving just a couple hundred more.

That will give you a good all around improvement, i really don't know why some people are suggesting you only buy front shocks and do nothing else...what about the rear? steering stabilizer?

vAnS_77
09-12-2008, 04:35 PM
Those things for the average rider really arn't needed. Rear shock, on most stock quads are heavy enough to take hard hits. Everytime I jumped my stock 400ex my front would bottom out but not by rear. I'm a big guy, that says alot about a rear shock. Stab wise, most people wouldn't even notice it if they were just the average rider. Thats why most of us don't mention it, they aren't that big in suspension for this person's instance.

TheNewn
09-12-2008, 04:48 PM
If someone is...'green' enough to not notice a steering stabilizers benefits after it is bolted on. They won't notice the difference between Works tripple rate steelers versus Fox Floats.

It's very noticable. And a rider isn't going to stay at the same newb experience level forever.

vAnS_77
09-12-2008, 07:15 PM
Most people who post about what shocks to get aren't wanting a 4 grand set up "feel". Nor ride the amount a stab helps you, like bar rip nor hard enough to warrant the stab. Yes stabs work amazingly, but not for this person problem they have.

04TRX400EX
09-13-2008, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
I would get HLS shocks if you are going for a 800 or lower. For 200 more bucks, buy a pair of quadrate piggy elkas...so much better than GTT.

You are not going to find quad rate Elkas with rezzies for $200 and even if you did, quad rates are only available for long travel applications which means new expensive arms as well ...

That being said, I think you will be very surprised by the difference a good set of front shocks will make and a rebuilt and revalved rear, even on stock arms. If you are just recreational riders, the extra stability of wider arms will not make much of a difference and will not aid in creating the "pillow" feel you're after. Stick with the stock arms and look into either the new HLS shocks or possibly even the Dune Edition Elka's. Both will start at around $400 for the front pair, and even with reservoirs the difference will be night and day. Then send your rear to C&D Racing to get rebuilt and converted to a SSD dual rate.

As for valving, I have found that setting shocks up for in-between weight (for example 160lbs. which would be in-between your 200 and her 120) does not make anyone happy because they will still be too harsh for her and they'll be too soft for you. Get them built for the person who will ride it most. You may want to tack on another 10 lbs. just to be safe but that's it.

ilikeboost
09-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Well i called up Elka and talked to them about getting a pair of compression adjustable Dune Edition front shocks set up for a 120-150lb rider. He said with the compression adjustables we should be able to find a medium where were both comfortable. I think they are like 895. I'll pair those up with front sand tires and hopefully i should be good. I guess we'll see how that goes and wait to see if i'm going to dig into the rear shock. I know what your saying with a steering stabilizer cause i got a Scott's on my bike. I really don't want to spend that kind of money again for her bike. The piston stabs are like 150 but are they any good. like streamline, pep, etc.

vAnS_77
09-13-2008, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
You are not going to find quad rate Elkas with rezzies for $200 and even if you did, quad rates are only available for long travel applications which means new expensive arms as well ...

That being said, I think you will be very surprised by the difference a good set of front shocks will make and a rebuilt and revalved rear, even on stock arms. If you are just recreational riders, the extra stability of wider arms will not make much of a difference and will not aid in creating the "pillow" feel you're after. Stick with the stock arms and look into either the new HLS shocks or possibly even the Dune Edition Elka's. Both will start at around $400 for the front pair, and even with reservoirs the difference will be night and day. Then send your rear to C&D Racing to get rebuilt and converted to a SSD dual rate.

As for valving, I have found that setting shocks up for in-between weight (for example 160lbs. which would be in-between your 200 and her 120) does not make anyone happy because they will still be too harsh for her and they'll be too soft for you. Get them built for the person who will ride it most. You may want to tack on another 10 lbs. just to be safe but that's it.

Did I say anything about 200 bucks for elka shocks? No, I said add 200 bucks more and buy the step below elite for front shocks. Dune Edition elka's are quite nice, the only really dune shocks out there. You want to get NEW shocks either way, have them vavled for you/springed. adding +2 or even 3 inches to your stance all around IMO is the greatest thing you can possible do to your quad. The roll on your machine is reduce MASSIVLY. Rebuilt 450r shocks, meh. I would just buy new. Don't worry about the rear for your riding.

Pipeless416
09-13-2008, 10:57 AM
for i think around 450-500, you can get elka rec series. they're still triple rates, preload adjustable, and they ride like a pillow if they're set up for you.

TheNewn
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
Originally posted by ilikeboost
Well i called up Elka and talked to them about getting a pair of compression adjustable Dune Edition front shocks set up for a 120-150lb rider. He said with the compression adjustables we should be able to find a medium where were both comfortable. I think they are like 895. I'll pair those up with front sand tires and hopefully i should be good. I guess we'll see how that goes and wait to see if i'm going to dig into the rear shock. I know what your saying with a steering stabilizer cause i got a Scott's on my bike. I really don't want to spend that kind of money again for her bike. The piston stabs are like 150 but are they any good. like streamline, pep, etc.

I just ordered 2 of the piston/stick type of stabilizers one for my fathers 700 raptor and one for my 400ex. So i'll let you know if you don't decide by then how it works out.

HLS front, Rebuilt rear, stabilizer. I think that combo would work out great.

And in my oh so humble opinion, don't listen to have the people on this forum.

vAnS_77
09-14-2008, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
I just ordered 2 of the piston/stick type of stabilizers one for my fathers 700 raptor and one for my 400ex. So i'll let you know if you don't decide by then how it works out.

HLS front, Rebuilt rear, stabilizer. I think that combo would work out great.

And in my oh so humble opinion, don't listen to have the people on this forum.

Get off your high horse please. Thanks. I'm not trying to bring up any problems, but some of us do know what we are talking about. Some of these questions that are asked are really personal opinions that are the answers given back. Like I said, IMO, for his level of riding, which I was once at. I felt that she only needs front shocks, don't make him spend more money then he has too. I'm not going to tell you boost who to listen to or not, because that is just plain rude to other people who take time to post their OPINION on the subject. I beat his wife is a great rider, does she really need the WHOLE set up like stab. I mean I have a race bike and I don't even have a stab :D

TheNewn
09-14-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by vAnS_77
Get off your high horse please. Thanks. I'm not trying to bring up any problems, but some of us do know what we are talking about. Some of these questions that are asked are really personal opinions that are the answers given back. Like I said, IMO, for his level of riding, which I was once at. I felt that she only needs front shocks, don't make him spend more money then he has too. I'm not going to tell you boost who to listen to or not, because that is just plain rude to other people who take time to post their OPINION on the subject. I beat his wife is a great rider, does she really need the WHOLE set up like stab. I mean I have a race bike and I don't even have a stab :D

You're right. Some do know what they are talking about, in my opinion.

She may be at a skill level you were ONCE at. And im sure she wont be there forever either, so buying one slightley more expensive component at a time will probably be a better idea so you do not have to RE buy that part when she's 'out grown' it. HLS, rebuilt rear, and a stick stabilizer really isnt an expensive set up. But it would give her a lot of room to grow.

Even if it does take a bit longer to get each part.