PDA

View Full Version : 86-87 seat or 88-89 seat

treadway47025
09-11-2008, 09:01 AM
Ok I am redoing my 89 r as many have seen me ask questions. So my question is which seat does everyone prefer and why? My 89 has the earlier seat on it with the metal bracket that bolts on. If there is a big comfort or looks difference between the molded style seat and the metal bracket type seat I may do a swap since I am replacing foam and cover. Thanks to all that reply. I love this forum.

mfr422
09-11-2008, 02:40 PM
Treadway,

Most prefer the 89 foam due to the extra padding for your rump, I'm not sure if the early foam is still available. The seat latch really doesn't matter although the bolt on is stronger. Your 89 should have the plastic latch to be "correct". I know honda still has seat assy's available they will work with either style latch, unlike the origonals. They come 89'style with a black cover, my friend got a new one this spring due to his pan wearing out.
Roost on!!

All250R
09-11-2008, 09:22 PM
The 88-89 OEM seat foam is thicker and pretty nice actually. It's comfy especially with new vinyl that's nice and stretchy. the seat latch for that year is pretty reliable too. I don't see an advantage to going to the aftermarket latch for that year.

The other thing too is the 88-89 seat has supports in the front that rest on the frame so the front of the seat isn't resting solely on the seat mount tabs.

You can always get the cover redone if you don't want black. cosmicquads.com has done a couple repro seat covers for me and they came out real nice and very close to the OEM design and color. This is a buddy's quad: seat resto (http://www.all250r.com/seatrestoration/seatrestoration.htm)

Rich250RRacer
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
88-89 foam is thicker, but it's also softer, so you'll sink into it more. The 86-87 foam is denser and stiffer, so you'll actually sit more on top of it than in it. Ceet replacement foam has the density and stiffness of 86-87 foam and is the correct height for an 88-89. This seems to work very well for taller riders, and is what I've been using for about 10 years.

treadway47025
09-12-2008, 06:31 AM
im considering getting new seat from honda, but just because it would be the pan and foam new. I plan to have the seat cover done by cascade, quadtech, or graves motorsports.

All250R
09-12-2008, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Rich250RRacer
88-89 foam is thicker, but it's also softer, so you'll sink into it more. The 86-87 foam is denser and stiffer, so you'll actually sit more on top of it than in it. Ceet replacement foam has the density and stiffness of 86-87 foam and is the correct height for an 88-89. This seems to work very well for taller riders, and is what I've been using for about 10 years.

No kidding? I built that seat in the link I posted with Ceet foam. Aside from the new look, we both hate that seat. haha. It's too stiff after youv'e been riding the stock foam. I know some people have a problem with the higher pegs of the 88-89 though. Honda builds bikes it seems for guys around the 5-9, 5-10 range.