PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coating vs Rhino Lining vs Line-X

bigredisb
09-11-2008, 06:10 AM
I just bought the 08 400ex below in my sig last week and I need to dress it up. I picked up a set of DG Fat Series Nerfs and really want them black but the only ones I found available in black did not work with the standard heel guards.

I was thinking of powder coating them gloss black but then thought about a bedliner of some sort. Has anyone tried Rhino or Line - x on there quads?

Anyone know what they charge for somthing like this?

Any + or - of either?

I like powder coating but it never seems to last on all the stuff I buy.

I think I am going to go with another set of ITP Bajas in black on this machine. Might look pretty good.

Thanks!!

jrsmith_80
09-11-2008, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by bigredisb
I just bought the 08 400ex below in my sig last week and I need to dress it up. I picked up a set of DG Fat Series Nerfs and really want them black but the only ones I found available in black did not work with the standard heel guards.

I was thinking of powder coating them gloss black but then thought about a bedliner of some sort. Has anyone tried Rhino or Line - x on there quads?

Anyone know what they charge for somthing like this?

Any + or - of either?

I like powder coating but it never seems to last on all the stuff I buy.

I think I am going to go with another set of ITP Bajas in black on this machine. Might look pretty good.

Thanks!!

I am not sure if you have thought about htis but Dupli-color makes a bedliner that you can buy at walmart or pretty much any automotive store. The reason I metioned this is because for like 20 or 30 bucks you can do it yourself. It is not hard, I did the interior of a truck with it a few years ago and it looked really good. Not only that if you do it yourself you can get the thickness that you want. Just a my .02

brian76708
09-11-2008, 07:25 AM
i would not use duplicolor it sucks if your going to do it your self use herculiner it is a much better procduct

jrsmith_80
09-11-2008, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by brian76708
i would not use duplicolor it sucks if your going to do it your self use herculiner it is a much better procduct

Yeah sorry I forgot about the herculiner or I would have mentioned that as well.

mbellaver
09-11-2008, 12:20 PM
I've actually tried this and was surprised at the results. I used the Duplicolor stuff in the spray can on my a-arms and bumper and it is holding up great. I don't have one of those nice shiney scratchless quads either. Mine gets ran in the woods, through the brush and logs. I was really surprised that it held up so well. I've ridden about 2 months with them and have only seen one scratch from some rocks. I used almost a full can on my a-arms.

bigredisb
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM
Great idea! I have used the herculiner in the past on trailers and stuff and it worked pretty good but I like teh duplicolor because if somthing hits it it still slides a bit while the herculiner is really sharp and digs in. The reason I say this is that we ride mostly tight woods on our property and I am constantly hitting the sides of my nerfbars.
I also think I am going to spray paint over whichever liner I choose so that it looks glossy as well.

Glad to hear the duplicolr holds up.
Thanks!!

mbellaver
09-11-2008, 12:36 PM
I read all about how duplicolor sucks, but I decided to try it anyway. Here is what I've found out:

Duplicolor sucks on anything that is flexible. It will not stay on if something gets bent.

It turns out somewhat smooth compared to other bedliners.

Do not paint or prime your part first. It tends to react with other paints and eats them off. If it is factory paint or paint that has been on for a while you will be fine, but nothing fresh.

I sandblasted the a-arms and put it on over bare metal. I just lightly sanded the bumper and it worked fine as well.

Use a lot to build up a layer.

If it holds up this well in the next few months I may do my spare frame with it.

bigredisb
09-13-2008, 06:30 AM
I picked some up but havent had a chance to try it. The DG nerfs are brushed from the factory so the duplicolor should stick good. I am also going to pick up a PRM bumper and coat it as well. Its going to be a while before I can put wheels on this machine but I think it should look pretty cool.
I bought my 08 for myself to have a second one to mess around with and set up different for different riding conditions but my wife is getting attached. I came home from work the other night at 8 and my wife was out in the driveway washing it. Oh well at least she like to care of her stuff!

jfwyatt
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
i work at a body shop where we now use line-x but in the past we have tried both dupli-color and herculiner. herculiner is a 2 part epoxy where as duplicolor is laquere based. the herculiner will hold up much longer but is about $50-$100 for a kit depending on where you live and how strict the epa regs are there.

honda400ex2003
09-14-2008, 09:26 AM
Hey, you could even try under coating for a car that dries hard. I am not sure how it would work but if it works on cars it may be alright. you could get that at a auto parts shop. Just another idea, steve