PDA

View Full Version : 2006 LTR running bad ?

GOTFEAR
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
OK my 2006 ltr450 runs bad hard to start wont stay running and no power i replaced the gas filter and plug and also adjusted the valves. I moved the throttle sensor back and forth and has no effect on it What yea think

QUADSQUAD7
09-10-2008, 10:39 PM
If you've never had the motor apart then I can guarantee your cylinder is shot. The nikasil doesn't hold up on the ltr's. You might be in need of a new piston and rings too.

hondaracer31
09-11-2008, 05:54 AM
I just went thru this, may not be the same thing. Mine started ok, but at low RPM it would pop and had no power. It was worse when it got hot. Did a compression check that was better than spec, and the motor has not been apart yet either.

Turned out to be the stator.

Just thought this may help others.
Will be doing the top end this winter.

ammon660
09-11-2008, 02:05 PM
i was just wondering i just bought an 08' ltr 450 and this thing is bad *** i came off of an 86 honda 250r 2 stroke and was wonderin if my exhaust pipe is supposed to be as hot as it is. i mean on my old honda i could touch the silencer not the header and not get burned but on my ltr it will burn my hand if i touch after bout 15 minutes. my engine temp light isnt comin on but i was wonderin if this is normal in 4 strokes or if i should have it checked. by the way i took the airbox lid off removed the baffle and put on a cherry bomb. i would appreciate any input.

LTandRaptorider
09-11-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ammon660
i was just wondering i just bought an 08' ltr 450 and this thing is bad *** i came off of an 86 honda 250r 2 stroke and was wonderin if my exhaust pipe is supposed to be as hot as it is. i mean on my old honda i could touch the silencer not the header and not get burned but on my ltr it will burn my hand if i touch after bout 15 minutes. my engine temp light isnt comin on but i was wonderin if this is normal in 4 strokes or if i should have it checked. by the way i took the airbox lid off removed the baffle and put on a cherry bomb. i would appreciate any input.

Yes, that is normal for these high-performance 450 engines. If you let your LTR idle for a few minutes at night, you will see the head pipe turn solid orange. ;)