PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 660 engine knocking

rappin_ernie
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2001 raptor 660. I have been starting it up and checking everything, and have had it running for about ten minutes at a time max. It was running perfect and sounded great. But yesterday I changed the oil, and now the engine is making a tapping noise, and it does it right from the start-up so I know it's not a problem that only occurs after warm-up. It is off beat and random, so I think it may be the clutch. Do you think it could be the oil I put in?
I am planning to put in a thicker oil (10w40 Valvoline ATV oil). The oil I put in was 10w30 (manual recommended) but it was car motor oil (autozone brand). Let me know what you think. Thanks!

Mike

09-13-2008, 05:14 PM
you need to flush your motor. you cannot use car oil in your atv. the clutch will slip bad and its not designed for it.

coryatver
09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by scrimmy69
you need to flush your motor. you cannot use car oil in your atv. the clutch will slip bad and its not designed for it.

don't listen to this guy. Automotive oil is better for the engine than the junk that thay label for atv use. Just do not use automotive oil with friction modifiers which i doubt autozone oil does.

Make sure you have the correct amount of oil in your engine. Also sounds like the valves may need adjusted. If that is not it you might have piston slap my buddies 01 raptor the cylinder ovaled out and needed a rebuild. You might need one if it is the stock motor it is pretty old now. Good luck.

MtnEX
09-14-2008, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by rappin_ernie
Hi everyone,
I just bought a 2001 raptor 660. I have been starting it up and checking everything, and have had it running for about ten minutes at a time max. It was running perfect and sounded great. But yesterday I changed the oil, and now the engine is making a tapping noise, and it does it right from the start-up so I know it's not a problem that only occurs after warm-up. It is off beat and random, so I think it may be the clutch. Do you think it could be the oil I put in?

Hummm... your story sounds very similar to mine, except mine is a 400EX.

Just put a video of it up in a thread lastnight.
We may have the same mechanical problem?

rappin_ernie
09-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Well. I found out it has nothing to do with the top end. The valves dont tap and the piston and rod are fine. It has something to do with the transmission or clutch. I was not able to ride the quad since I bought it, reason being the front rims had no valve stems, so I didn't want to be riding around on rims. Anyway, I fixed the wheels and went for a spin. 1st gear works fine, and the damn thing has balls too, I'm really happy with the power. However, when you shift into second, and begin to release the clutch, the bottom end begins to knock really crazy. You can release the clutch all the way and the gear works, but it sounds like there is a bullet ricocheting around in the cases. 3rd, 4th and 5th work. When your in any other gear, the knocking is the same as at idle, just here and there and not too loud. I don't know whether a bearing went or the clutch is chattering, or what. Let me know wht you guys think. Thanks.

Mike

MtnEX
09-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Awwwww.... d@mn.... I just caught on to the fact this is an '01 model.

I hate to even tell you this and be the bearer of bad news....
But those things were known for tranny problems.
It's probably about to scatter 2nd gear.

Better take it to a Yamaha shop and show them what it does, for a confirmed diagnosis.

Here's hoping it's something much simplier though....

rappin_ernie
09-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I knew about the tranny problem before I bought it, ofcourse the guy told me it was an 03', and when I got home with it and did a vin decoder, it turns out it is an 01'.
It's too bad it is such a pain in the *** to change the gears out. I need to split the cases to get to them...:(
Thank you all for your help. I think I am just going to try to sell it as a parts or fix quad for $1500. I have pictures if anyone is interested :D. Thanks again!

Mike