PDA

View Full Version : 525 shifting issue

DirtyJ
09-10-2008, 05:41 AM
with my outlaw 525 I have to hit the shift lever up twice to get to second gear. Anybody else have this issue? it doesnt go into nuetral it just stays in first gear. less than 20hrs on it. Any solutions or ideas?

LT250_JOE
09-18-2008, 05:11 PM
check to make sure the bolt holding the shifter isnt loose. mine fell off about half way through my first tank of gas. red lock tite that s#$%

DirtyJ
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
ya it was loose. but it didnt fix the problem

SSJEFF
09-18-2008, 11:17 PM
It will get easier to sshift and to find nuetral once broken in.

DirtyJ
09-19-2008, 12:42 AM
I hope so. I have to shift up twice before I can get to second gear. It is driving me nuts!!:mad:

SSJEFF
09-19-2008, 06:40 AM
It has been a while but ut may also help to set your idle to 1800 rpms.

Evasiveone
09-19-2008, 08:20 AM
Also you might want to get a Pit Posse shifter to shorten up the shifter. The stock one is so long it takes a lot of travel up to get the full shift and is hard to reach. The shorter pit posse shifter will shorten the amount of up swing needed to get to that next gear.

I was having a lot of problems with missed shifts and not completely swinging the shifter all the way up with that damn mile long stock shifter.

sparks1032
09-27-2008, 06:09 PM
WOW FINALLY SOMEONE ELSE HAS NOTICED THE DAMN STOCK SHIFTER!!!

THANKS

THANKS

AND THANKS AGAIN!

sparks1032
09-27-2008, 06:34 PM
I could not help myself, can someone anyone say if they have checked this web site out and if so/not opinions.

http://www.hammerheaddesignsinc.com/order-ktm-ktm1sl.html

sleddog66
09-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Expensive!!! The pit posse was like....$25 if I remember right?

rcpd_outlaw
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by sleddog66
Expensive!!! The pit posse was like....$25 if I remember right?

Which Pit Posse shift lever works for the 07 525? I assume the one for the KTM 525 4 stroke, but there is nothing specific for the Outlaw. I sent them a note and they replied "I don't know"...

pit posse ktm shifter (http://pitposse.stores.yahoo.net/poanshle.html)

sleddog66
10-05-2008, 05:29 PM
Ya, fit 4 stroke bikes "L26-501" 19.95 + 7.95 shipping = 27.90:macho

skier207
03-10-2009, 12:53 AM
My 07 525 irs has the same issue. It is not a shift lever problem. If you listen carefully you can hear something click in the trans when you release to shift the second time. I don't notice it too much because I am usually too busy changing the ever torn inner cv boots($65 ea). This machine is a study on how to build a product, then send it to market with no testing. First chance I get am trading it on something reliable. Polaris are you listening?

birdman7389
03-10-2009, 01:34 AM
Originally posted by skier207
My 07 525 irs has the same issue. It is not a shift lever problem. If you listen carefully you can hear something click in the trans when you release to shift the second time. I don't notice it too much because I am usually too busy changing the ever torn inner cv boots($65 ea). This machine is a study on how to build a product, then send it to market with no testing. First chance I get am trading it on something reliable. Polaris are you listening?

I have about 30 hard hours on mine in mud, desert, sand and rocks. I have yet to have 1 problem with cv boots or otherwise.

sleddog66
03-10-2009, 04:37 AM
Try the EPI boots. They are much cheaper, like $18. I only have a couple of hrs. on mine, so not proven yet, but others have had good success with them, so I am giving them a try.

SSJEFF
03-10-2009, 07:38 AM

I do not know how you guys are tearing boots so much, I have had 3 IRS outlaws(2-06 1-07) and have torn one when the chain came off. Are you riding in very hot or cold weather? Something just does not add up. Are sticks getting in there and tearing them? Do you have the preload cranked all the way up so the angle on the shafts are the greatest?

Outlaw212
03-10-2009, 04:39 PM
I am having the same issue on my '08. I thought I was just missing second because I am new to a race quad but I was practicing the last couple days and I am fairly confident it's not me.

Any help out there?

outlaw525chick
03-11-2009, 01:41 AM
I have the 08 and was and still am having this issue with the shifter. I have been stuck many of times at the bottom of tree shots and hill climbs cause I've miss second. Very aggrivating and I kept taking it to the dealer and they could never find anything wrong with it. I have not yet gotten the shorter shifter but am looking forward to getting it and trying it out.

sparks1032
03-11-2009, 08:33 AM
Polaris is not listening! PLEASE I purchased a bunch of quads from them had a problem with my 50cc one for my son and since my dealer filed the "wrong" paperwork they told me to pound sand! It involved water getting into the air box and in the manual it states the quad can go through puddles! ANYWAY if you are not happy then sell it get a honda and hope you have no problems Polaris has no competition for a IRS quad until the Honda!

skier207
03-11-2009, 09:46 AM
Those of you that are buying shorter shifters to fix the problem of missing second it won't. I have spent considerable time checking this out. No matter how hard or long you hold the shifter up it will not go into second until the shifter is released and a second attempt is made.

sleddog66, thanks for the tip on the boots. It will save me a small fortune.

Yes there is a Honda 700 in my future just a matte of time. For now I am stuck with this thing. :mad:

jm812003
03-11-2009, 09:38 PM
Just a thought, I had a similar issue on my 08 525S when I first got it I was missing shifts all the time. I later figured out that If you do not let the shifter come all the way back down before pulling it up to shift up in to 2nd 3rd ect. it will usually not want to shift up try it and see if it solves the problem

al capone
09-13-2009, 07:57 PM
anyone find a fix here i have the same issue shifting and it is only when shifting to second. I know this is a old thread but i didnt want to start a new one

skier207
09-13-2009, 08:14 PM
I found a fix it is called a 2008 Honda 700XX I am all done with Polaris. Anyone wanna buy a 2007 525 IRS Outlaw?

SSJEFF
09-13-2009, 09:43 PM
I found a fix it is called a 2008 Honda 700XX I am all done with Polaris. Anyone wanna buy a 2007 525 IRS Outlaw?

Sounds like a good answer if you want a heavy machine that is top heavy.

I am picking up my 5th outlaw friday and have not had an issue shifting other than I cannot shift fast enough.

skier207
09-13-2009, 10:46 PM
Whatever

skier207
09-13-2009, 10:55 PM
SS Jeff did you happen to notice who won the Baja 500 this year?

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/565/3715/Motorcycle-Article/Matlock-Racing-Wins-Baja-500-Overall-ATV-Title.aspx

Bombshell525
09-14-2009, 12:57 AM

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/565/3715/Motorcycle-Article/Matlock-Racing-Wins-Baja-500-Overall-ATV-Title.aspx
Did you happen to notice that he has said he's happy with the numerous outlaws he has owned?

Take your trolling elsewhere.

SSJEFF
09-14-2009, 08:47 AM
Originally posted by Bombshell525
Did you happen to notice that he has said he's happy with the numerous outlaws he has owned?

Take your trolling elsewhere.

Thanks Bombshell, people must be pretty board to go into a section they are not even interested and say stupid stuff.

Bring your 700xx to the tight woods in the east and you will have a fun time. Desert racers die in the GNCC usually so bring it and show us.

Funny how the Honda guys knocked the IRS till Honda came out with it and theirs needs sway bars so bad it is ridiculous. WOW so this is how it feels to be 13 again lol.

OutlawBill
09-14-2009, 08:59 AM

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/565/3715/Motorcycle-Article/Matlock-Racing-Wins-Baja-500-Overall-ATV-Title.aspx it was a LT 450 that won the Baja 500

skier207
09-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Back to the shifting issue. The problem is an internal transmission problem. Until some one tears the trans down to see what failed we won't know. My fix is to sell mine because I am not happy with the overall poor quality of this machine. The broken shifting mechanism at 15-20 hours was the last straw.

FOR SALE:2007 OUTLAW IRS

SSJEFF
09-14-2009, 10:17 AM
How much you want for it?

skier207
09-14-2009, 10:37 AM
4K with the paddles and some extra parts.

coalrat
09-14-2009, 04:56 PM
I have had mine for over a year now with lots of riding time on it, no problem whatsoever with the shifting. You got to remember that these motors are not jap made, shifting is generally not as clean as the yam,and honda's ect.

Mine has the problem of finding netural, common on all the euro bikes i have owned. Once in a while you will miss a shift, it just happens, usually where you dont need it too.

Be sure your shift lever is in the right position for you, as this can help greatly overcome this problem. try up and down a tooth.

Also, since this turned about honda also???

I have always had the desire of riding something different than the big 4 , and have adjusted quite nicely to the handleing/power aspects of the KTM'S, Husky, bergs ect. The big 4 just do not catch my interest.

I am wondering if the ktm bike riders have issues with there shifting, as most are repeat buyers.

sheriff525
09-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Speaking of shifting issues. Last time i was at the dunes and going hard up a hill the transmission would slip out of gear. I would be in third (happened in second too) and it would slip out like it went into neutral. WTF?

SSJEFF
09-15-2009, 01:25 AM
i hate to tell you all but they all have shifting issues.

My buddies LTR has tranny issues
the Hondas have to get the gears polished or something
the Yamis do not really have any I have heard of
nobody has a can am dnf450 really lol
the Kaw is not used much in xc so i do not hear much on them either.

If it is not going into neutral easy try reving it a little with the clutch pulled in as that has helped me out. thick cold oil really makes it a bear.

It slipping out of gear may not be good, I would change the oil to make sure it is in good shape and no metal chips.

I race these things and am not easy on the transmissions at all. Only issue I have had is that I could not get it into 3rd when accelerating hard sometimes. This has only happened a couple times this year.

wannaride4
09-20-2009, 10:57 AM
I havent had a problem with my 525 IRS and any of the other outlaws I have rode. So skier207 I think you are alot high on our price, if it is that bad, cause if you look at www.bentleymotorcycles.com you can see that you can buy a new one for 3999.00 + tax. So to me, if there is trany problems and you want to sell it, you should be around 2000.00 obo. it should be tough to sell a pile of **** as bad as you talk it down. So let us all know if you really want to get rid it.

GE4x4
09-20-2009, 11:21 AM
I've had 4 Outlaws and have raced them all and have never had a shifting issue. I sometimes don't shift hard enough and will hit nuet going from 1st to 2nd, but never any slipping or not going into gear. Use good oil, have enough in the engine, but not to much, and keep the oil change regular, and you won't have a issue. On a side note, the KTM's engine is the same as the Outlaws, and they also don't have issues.

skier207
09-20-2009, 12:11 PM
I am tired of all the posts explaining that I don't have a problem with the trans. It serves no purpose as far as learning or resolving the problem. It's a real issue the motor in KTM's bikes do not have reverse. So they are not the same. If anyone that wants to debate if this is a real problem or not I am inviting anyone that is up to it to come take a spin for yourself. I will pay for your round trip ticket to Phoenix Az and nice hotel room to stay in(100.00 a night). If you should accept my challenge and you find that second gear doesn't always engage on the first try. You pay your own way.stay,dinner and a beer for me for my trouble.....

Anyone feeling lucky?

Brown450R
09-20-2009, 03:56 PM
If you insist there is something wrong with your tranny, fix it. Quit crying about it and get it repaired. If the repair shop says nothing is wrong, find another repair shop, repair it yourself, or learn to shift properly. It is a rare problem apparently. I don't doubt there is something wrong with your transmission. But why don't you just get it fixed? You might have a bent shift fork or something going on. *****ing about it won't fix it. Fixing it will fix it. If I were having the same problem as you, first I would make my shift lever was good and tight. Next, I'd make sure my oil was clean and at the proper level....checking proper clutch action would be good also. If nothing obvious was wrong, I'd take it to the Polaris dealer and have it fixed. It might also be a good idea to have your most experienced riding buddy take it for a spin and see what he thinks. Maybe you just need to learn to shift? I have raced the piss out of mine and the only time I miss shifts is when I'm tired and don't upshift hard enough. It always is at a bad time of course. It does seem easier to find nuetral when you don't want to than when you do. I just think that is a characteristic of this motor. It is very hard to find nuetral on my ATK also.

By the way, this is the exact same motor that you will find in the KTM XC Quad. Not the Ktm bikes, duh.

Brown450R
09-20-2009, 04:00 PM
I also have never torn a cv boot yet, and I race xc. I'm sure I will sooner or later, its almost inevitable. The only problem I regularly have is bent tie rods. I'm ok with that. I'd rather have bent tie rods than broken tie rod ends. At least this way I finish the race.

coalrat
09-20-2009, 04:04 PM
You would have to take a spin on some of ours to see that they do not have this problem.

Yours should not be doing what you are describing, and if so, the only way to find out what is going on is to get into the case.

As I said before, the euro motors are not as smooth shifting,as I have owned many of them, but they do work, if there are no problems internally.

Now if this is a common problem, I do think polaris owes us a recall on it.

Open the case up and post some pics, could be something simple.

GE4x4
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
The point people are saying when they don't have this issue, it's not a common thing. What oil are you useing?

skier207
09-20-2009, 04:08 PM
To Brown 450r

I am not fixing it, I am selling it. You missed my last point people on here keep insisting that there is nothing wrong with my machine.

The " maybe I just need to learn to shift" was insulting and unnecessary. I am all done here.

Brown450R
09-20-2009, 07:11 PM
Well, good bye to you then.

900rracer
09-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by wannaride4
I havent had a problem with my 525 IRS and any of the other outlaws I have rode. So skier207 I think you are alot high on our price, if it is that bad, cause if you look at www.bentleymotorcycles.com you can see that you can buy a new one for 3999.00 + tax. So to me, if there is trany problems and you want to sell it, you should be around 2000.00 obo. it should be tough to sell a pile of **** as bad as you talk it down. So let us all know if you really want to get rid it.

I just bought one of these at Bentleys last Saturday along with a King Quad 700 4x4. I have not had either in the dirt yet--they are both sitting the garage next to my Aprilia and R-6 looking pretty. I couldn't pass it up for the price of $3999---I come from an MX background owning numerous 250Rs and 450Rs.

I bought the Polaris because the price was right and I wanted a performance quad that I could trail ride and stay away from the MX tracks with.

I am just reading the forums to see what the issues are with this quad.

justin1022
09-30-2009, 10:25 PM
To Brown 450r

I am not fixing it, I am selling it. You missed my last point people on here keep insisting that there is nothing wrong with my machine.

The " maybe I just need to learn to shift" was insulting and unnecessary. I am all done here.

dont worry bout brown hes a dumb ***. i wouldnt sell though because you loose money on a new machine if i was you i would defenetly take it in on warrenty somthing doesnt sound right

YES the ktms are harder shifting then most bikes but not as hard as your describing it sohuld shift smoooth right through all the gears and give you some trouble finding nutrel at the most but you should still be able to hit it.

the problem your discribing sounds like somthing is wrong so id take it back to get fixed.

SKOT
10-01-2009, 09:21 AM
my 07 outlaw does the same thing.every 3rd or 4th time you take off it feels like it goes into 2nd but it stays in first.some of you guys are just *** holes.there is a problem with 1-2 shift on some of these outlaws.its not the loose shifter. not the oil.or opperator error!!

LT250_JOE
10-01-2009, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by SKOT
my 07 outlaw does the same thing.every 3rd or 4th time you take off it feels like it goes into 2nd but it stays in first.some of you guys are just *** holes.there is a problem with 1-2 shift on some of these outlaws.its not the loose shifter. not the oil.or opperator error!!

Wow dude.... thats a little harsh !!!!! Just tryin to help with someones issue and we're all ***holes.

fasterblaster02
10-01-2009, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by SKOT

most everyone is not trying to deny that there is a problem, just that theirs doesnt have a problem. If yours has a problem, the the solution is to take it apart, find out what it wrong with it, and fix it, not cry about it.

Brown450R
10-01-2009, 07:13 PM
Originally posted by justin1022
dont worry bout brown hes a dumb ***. i wouldnt sell though because you loose money on a new machine if i was you i would defenetly take it in on warrenty somthing doesnt sound right

YES the ktms are harder shifting then most bikes but not as hard as your describing it sohuld shift smoooth right through all the gears and give you some trouble finding nutrel at the most but you should still be able to hit it.

the problem your discribing sounds like somthing is wrong so id take it back to get fixed.

I think you are the dumb ***. Stay in school.

justin1022
10-01-2009, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by Brown450R
I think you are the dumb ***. Stay in school.

brown get outa hear

Brown450R
10-02-2009, 06:17 AM
Why don't you beat it, you retard. Learn to spell while you are at it.

Brown450R
10-02-2009, 06:18 AM
Go do some cool wheelies with you 400ex. Wow.

Brown450R
10-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by justin1022
brown get outa hear

Actually, I am getting out of "hear". You and the rest of the sixteen year old idiots can enjoy this site in peace. You tards make posts looking for help and someone tells you what you don't want to hear, you get pissy. Well, **** off.

wannaride4
10-02-2009, 06:22 AM
I agree if you cann't take input that maybe your not shifting right or to find a different dealer and have it fixed then you realy need to get off here, everyone on here, is here to help.

U1arunit
10-02-2009, 08:29 AM
Lots of times mine will still be in first gear when I attempt to shift to second as well.

I have just been dealing with it.

justin1022
10-02-2009, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by Brown450R
Go do some cool wheelies with you 400ex. Wow.

brown actulley i got a polaris 450mxr my signature hasnt been updated in forever

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs140.snc1/5976_242624290550_594710550_8457091_803700_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs140.snc1/5976_242624300550_594710550_8457092_5775978_n.jpg
http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs236.snc1/8333_256971325550_594710550_8762572_404979_n.jpg

http://photos-d.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc1/hs236.snc1/8333_266326535550_594710550_8923123_4692735_n.jpg

al capone
10-14-2009, 05:38 PM
nice air and cool pics

Terminator2
10-21-2009, 07:58 AM
Originally posted by SSJEFF
It has been a while but ut may also help to set your idle to 1800 rpms.

The bike runs so much better overall if you set the idle at 1800. It suffers a lot less bog even with the crappy stock jetting installed.