PDA

View Full Version : Idle screw and fuel screw

drew3623
09-10-2008, 05:02 AM
Even though Im about to kill myself over trying to figure out how to get my carb jetted right.. Im not going to bother you with that. I had a buddy mess with my carb after I put a new pipe on and know its all jacked up. He messed with the idle screw and the fuel screw. Does anyone know how many turns both of these screws are when it comes stock? If I can get this back to the starting point... I might be able to figure it out. Thanks!!

drew3623
09-10-2008, 05:04 AM
Sorry, Its a 2005 400ex

bjg696
09-10-2008, 09:43 AM
Should only be 2 turns out for a stocker. But itll vary from 1.5-2.5 turns depending on the area.

bjg696
Should only be 2 turns out for a stocker. But itll vary from 1.5-2.5 turns depending on the area.

bjg696

babydx63x
09-11-2008, 11:26 AM
I'm in the same boat as you. I will be messing with it this weekend by using the "idle drop" method. Let you know how I make out.

drew3623
09-17-2008, 06:31 AM
I dont even really know where to start? Its hard for me to adjust the fuel screw when its not idleing right and Im not sure if I can set the idle without the mixture right. IM LOST!!

MtnEX
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
This place seems sometimes like it's not a lot of help doesn't it?

Maybe people are tired of discussing it or something?
I'm sure the carb stuff comes up a LOT.
But it can be hard to find certain info in a search.

There is some help in the "how-to" forum... on the second or third page there is a guide for how to do this part... I need to do it too.

Right now I'm at 2.5 turns out... I have a slow idle at startup... then a real fast idle when hot... so I'm off or my idle speed set screw is not staying.

I haven't had time to fool with it though... but if I come up with another method of tuning this circuit, I'll let you know.

GPracer2500
09-17-2008, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
... if I come up with another method of tuning this circuit, I'll let you know.

What method are you using now?

MtnEX
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by GPracer2500
What method are you using now?

Well, I hadn't seen the 'how-to' before, so I was tuning strictly based on the plug appearance. So while I had the carb off, I tried to take a stab at doing a 'best guess' trying to get it close at least.

I set (for my particulars) to 2.5 turns out. I haven't done a plug reading yet but can tell you I'm not satisfied with the results. It wants to start without the choke still, but now wants to start and then die. Also, the idle gets much faster when the engine gets hot... so it's certainly not in the sweet spot.

So, I figure I have some tuning ahead of me, and if I discover a better way I'll share.

To be honest, the one big thing is that you NEED one of those fancy 90 degree screwdrivers to adjust the pilot screw while running... which I don't have yet.

Myself, I was wondering if it would affect anything if I were to remove the idle screw contraption mount to get it out of the way of the pilot screw?

I'm thinking it might because I'm not sure how that cable screw thing works exactly.