PDA

View Full Version : KFX cutting out mid-range

spincr4hire
09-09-2008, 06:38 PM
Ok, I've just recently added an in-line fuel filter, it ran fine for 3 straight weekends. Raced this past weekend, really dusty race, and the quad started running like poop, had to quit the race. The air filter was covered in dust so I thought that may have been the problem.

Did the following tonight:

Checked fuel filter, still clean.
Drained and cleaned gas tank, looked fine also.
Cleaned fuel pump, looked clean.
Changed sparked plug.
By-passed the HMF programmer (I've heard of these going bad causing the quad to run bad).
Installed a clean/freshly oiled air filter.
Cleaned electrical plugs, checked for bare wires.

Its running a lot better, but still cuts out midrange but not all the time. It runs great in neutral when reving, bounces off the rev limiter, but seems to hit a wall when under a load, but not all the time.

Going to try to run some fuel injector cleaner thru it tomorrow.

any other suggestions?
I've got to get this thing figured out before snowshoe GNCC this weekend.

08mxkfx
09-09-2008, 06:47 PM
I would pull your injector out and give that a good cleaning. And check your valves to make sure there still within spec. Is it smoking or anything?

spincr4hire
09-09-2008, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by 08mxkfx
I would pull your injector out and give that a good cleaning. And check your valves to make sure there still within spec. Is it smoking or anything?
i meant to post that I did clean the injector.
Haven't checked valves yet.
Could this be a cam problem?

09-09-2008, 07:03 PM
ive been trough this alot latley. check the wire that taps into your TPS from your hmf programmer. any play in that can cause a cut out. also check your coil. they seem to back out off the plug alot. atlease mine ive noticed. Push her down real good

epinac18
09-09-2008, 07:07 PM
try changing out the fuel pump relay with one of the other relays, those things suck, theyre not sealed and get corroded on the inside. if you ever have one go bad, go to a junkyard and get a relay off of a mazda protege', saves alot of money and they are better than the kawi ones.

08mxkfx
09-09-2008, 07:11 PM
it could be your tps wire is loose.The yellow tps wire actually pulled out of the plug that hooks to the throttle body on me this weekend so rev your quad and give those wires a tug to see of they are loose.

spincr4hire
09-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally posted by 08mxkfx
it could be your tps wire is loose.The yellow tps wire actually pulled out of the plug that hooks to the throttle body on me this weekend so rev your quad and give those wires a tug to see of they are loose.
could be a bad TPS sensor altogether too, right?

09-10-2008, 12:04 PM
not very common to go. guess it could. never heard of any case it has

spincr4hire
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I adjusted the TPS, the voltage was low. It helped it out, just not sure is the cure for the problem yet, I hope so.

09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
could be. did you do the tps mod?

spincr4hire
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by walshyfz86
could be. did you do the tps mod?
whats the tps mod?

09-11-2008, 11:08 AM
raising the voltage on your tps to 63-64. helps alot. and helps with hot starting. bike hasent given me a problem starting when its real hot since.

08mxkfx
09-11-2008, 01:53 PM
No real way for the tps sensor to go bad but like i said before you might have a loose wire for your tps and by messing with the tps setting you connected the wire so it runs good now but if you hit some bumps and stuff it might come loose again. While your quads running keep it at mid throttle and give the tps wires a slight pull and see if it dies down.

09-14-2008, 05:40 PM
yea i thought i fixed mine boy was i wrong. i gutted my harness by muff and it still doing it. cleaned my connections still doing it. wtf

08mxkfx
09-14-2008, 07:34 PM
clean your injector and try clean the fuel pump filter.