PDA

View Full Version : slipper clutches

dcarter
09-09-2008, 04:41 PM
PLEASE BE AWARE!!!! i just recived a call from someone who said west coast quads was selling a slipper clutch designed by dc. this is not true. i do not sell to them and if you purchase one from them it did not come from me.

forgiven
09-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Perhaps they were designed by you and remanufactured by someone else thereby ripping you off yet still being honest although the practice not being honest...kinda weird.

Pure speculation btw

TRX450RACER174
09-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Hmm i called yesterday to order slipper parts and there was no mention of that at all.

wrhracing
09-10-2008, 07:17 AM
Maybe they haven't gotten them in stock yet, maybe the call I recieved asking about it was someone miss informed about what exactly they were being sold, same guy called me.

BACKWOODSBOYZ
09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
There is only one SLIPPER (CLUTCH) and that would be
D.C. = David Carter
All I have to say is this things does hold up, almost full
race season !
Awesome prouduct !!!

KX250GUY
09-10-2008, 09:44 AM
I bought a new 08 100 LT from them and they told me that they had a better washer that would not lose it's tension, that's what I have on it now and they gave me the original that came on it.
They told me they had it made. They also told me to buy extra clutches. I'm not defending them, but they never said who made their slipper or parts.

BACKWOODSBOYZ
09-10-2008, 09:57 AM
I belive you are talking about a slipper sprocket
not a slipper clutch..Two differnt parts

KX250GUY
09-10-2008, 10:05 AM
your right, my bad

TRX450RACER174
09-10-2008, 10:05 AM
So what is the slipper clutch then?

BACKWOODSBOYZ
09-10-2008, 10:17 AM
It is a complete rear clutch bell asy.
It is located under clutch cover away from all
outside elements.
You can call Dave Carter with any other questions
501-472-9668

Logan #34's Dad
09-18-2008, 12:45 PM
Yeah they copied the slipper sprocket too. 609 out of New Jersey is the actual designer of the slipper sprocket. Amazing how IF you have the conections over-seas you can get anything made at a low cost.

thunderriver197
09-23-2008, 04:21 PM
YEA NEXT YOUR GOING TO SAY FORD COPIED CHEVY GET A LIFE. I LIKE HAVING CHOICES OF WHAT I BUY AND HOW MUCH I HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. WHA WHA

TricityCdale
09-23-2008, 07:12 PM
About the only way your going to keep from getting an idea copied is to copyright it. Other than that, fabricators need to take into account that someone can and will copy the idea and sell it. There really isn't anything stopping it. It's a shame, but hopefully DC sold enough to recoup most of his r/d cost.

It sucks, I know. But it's a fact of life. You get someone that can do machine work and realize they can save a buck because they didn't have to do the r/d and they can all of a sudden charge less for it.

Kind of reminds you of China/Taiwan, huh?:rolleyes:

dericsdad
09-23-2008, 07:33 PM
But didn't Dave Carter have a copy right on it??? Doesn't that apply to product sent to china, copied, and shipped back???

Can someone smarter than me on these laws please reply!!!

Thanks, Dan.

Logan #34's Dad
09-23-2008, 08:23 PM
OKAY, everyone needs to relax a second. I was on the WCQuads site and did not find the DC clutch - However, they have a slipper sprocket they labeled as a clutch. Dave Carter did not get his slipper "clutch" copied.
However, 609 out of New Jersey DID get his slipper "sprocket" copied by and for Apex. Now of course DRR has the same product offered for their quads. Apex is a 20 tooth and DRR is a 19 tooth.
I do believe DC was trying to copyright his clutch though. Even if you copyright something you will still need to hire a stinking attorney to go after the copier. I don't believe 609 or DC wants to do all that. A cost versus goal thing.
If you want the real deal then buy from 609 or DC themselves.
From what I know, If the knock-off sprocket goes bad you have to replace it all. 609 you need to replace the sprocket only. I have both and the quality is definatley lacking with the knock-off.
As with everything - you get what you pay for.

dustmaker
09-24-2008, 09:03 AM
if you look at a the suzuki lt 80 clutch bell it looks almost the same as dc slipper clutch. wonder what suzuki thinks of that.

check out the link http://216.37.204.206/wps/Suzuki_OEM/SuzukiATV.asp?Type=13&A=137&B=36

dustmaker
09-24-2008, 01:15 PM
i checked with 609 and he and apex had a agreement on the slipper sprocket and 609 was paid for by apex the right to copie the slipper sprocket

marsrace2
10-01-2008, 11:29 AM
can anyone tell me more about this slipper clutch and the advantages of it?

Steven623
10-01-2008, 02:46 PM
We have been useing the 609 slipper sprockets and they work well. They are used to soften the stress on the trans gears. Nothing is BULLET PROOF, but we have had great success using them.

quadnana7
10-03-2008, 10:50 AM
Christian has used the slipper sprockets from 609 on all his bikes for over a year and they work very well for everyone that knows Christian you know he put it to the test he only knows one speed and that is fast and hard if it can hold up to Christian then it has to be excellent We are a 100% sold on the 609 slipper sprockets it is well worth the money

wrhracing
10-05-2008, 11:38 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by dustmaker
[B]if you look at a the suzuki lt 80 clutch bell it looks almost the same as dc slipper clutch. wonder what suzuki thinks of that.

Suzuki doesn't care except for the money the dealer and U.S. Suzuki Motor Corp. makes from the parts. Hence the dealer support given thru purchasing from a Suzuki dealer is appreciated.
If the red Suzuki "S" was used in a way to attache Suzuki to the product , then the legal department would send a letter out.
This is started by a Suzuki Dealer complaining about territorial contract infringements. Or mis-representation of Genuine Suzuki Affiliation.
Been There and done that.

Billy Holt

JBI500
10-08-2008, 05:26 AM
I HAVE SOME SLIPPER SPROCKETS 4-SALE IF ANYONE IS INETRESTED. (4 ) & CASE SAVERS TO MATCH.

dcarter
10-13-2008, 09:50 AM
Okay i understand people wanting more choices and different prices on products, and i have no problems with that at all. Paul at 609 did have an agreement with apex. I ahve been around this business a long time and in recent years i have seen a lot more of people taking some ones idea and coping it that is a part of life, but let me ask what happens when the ones in the business coming up with the new ideas gets out and does something else because this is how they make there living and they are at the track supporting mini riders. You have less rider support and less places to get new products. I personaly am in the business because my sons race and i love this sport and everything i make goes back into there racing and new products, i am not trying to get rich i just like the people i deal with and seeing the kids out there haveing fun with the best possible stuff i can build. I just wanted people to know that if they got a slipper clutch from apex that i did not build it and would not stand behind it. I have a lot of costumers out there and want to thank them for there support of my products. Tahnks Dave

bignasty
10-14-2008, 10:52 AM
dido dave couldn't have put it any better.:p

frank parvin
11-27-2008, 07:32 AM
ran 55 races last year with no slipper spocket and everything was ok as long as your rider rides right ( change your trans oil reg. and check your trans gears and bearings every 3-5 races)

yfz450ba
11-27-2008, 11:30 AM
Ok maybe you guys can set me straight. I have been reading all the posts on this site, for a year or so. We run Harescrambles, it seems most of you run MX. First, what is the slipper clutch all about. I know what the slipper sprocket is, it comes on the 08 90lt. Whats the purpose of that clutch? How is it different from the stock, or malossi race clutch? Second, you guys seem to be getting alot more hp from your motors. I have the high compression head, and the cylinder has been ported. I have upgraded the carb to a 28mm. stock pipe, carb intake, and cdi box. I have also learned alot about the springs and rollers and so on, I run 4.5 rollers with a 1500rpm spring. (and I do go thru alot of belts). Now my son is 10 and he rides hard, and weighs 105 lbs. Okay, can the mods you MX'rs do last 1 1/2 hrs of hard riding?
(i'm not saying MX'rs dont ride hard) I'm wondering if your mods benefit you beacuse of how you break your motos up. Shorter times out on the track. Or can the same motor run the whole harescramble time?

I sit back and read your post.
Thanks

frank parvin
11-27-2008, 02:26 PM
my quad is set up for mx .i dont know about the type of race your doing but i do know for a fact that a sms pipe will wake your apex up big time $$$$ but worth it 1.5-2.0 hp. bolt on. this pipe was designed on my sons apex how is a team sms rider

wrhracing
11-27-2008, 08:25 PM
Your probably running thru belts because things are getting to hot in there. Ventilate the cover some how and your belt problems go away.
Also get something to measure the strength of your 1500 springs. 1500 springs are not manufactured to ISO9000 standrds.
This means the spring rate will be all over the board even within the same manufacture.
I've installed and serviced many slipper clutches I have seen zero failure rate. Maybe a little fiber plate dust , but that just means it was working.

frank parvin
11-28-2008, 06:30 AM
same belt that i put on at high point and it probely has 20 racees on it and it dont have a 1500 spring in it . i didnt say that it would fail a just said i dont use one and trans gear are fine and ries will put it to a test. thanks