PDA

View Full Version : making my machine versatile

badtothebone440
09-09-2008, 03:17 PM
Hey guys, been awhile since I've posted here but i cruise the threads in this section from time to time and there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people still around. Anyway, I've got an 06 450er now and wanted to know if its possible to set up it for xc AND mx. My friend that I trail ride with races cross country and wants me to run a few xc races with him, and I trail ride whenever the weather is nice so it's my primary concern to keep it woods ready. In the summers I go to all the local fair motocross races and race the trophy class, but I've become addicted to it and would like to advance if possible. My question is if I can set it up so that it would be good or decent at both races? I realize tires and their size would be an issue, so im thinking of buying a set of beadlocks and razrs for the woods, and finding a set of 18s and smaller fronts to mount on my stock rims for the fair races. I've got the one tooth smaller front sprocket for tracks and stock for the woods. What kind of issues would I run into whenever I go to aftermarket a-arms and shocks? Right now all it's got is the hrc kit, a bill ballance slip on (w/ hrc header), and rath nerfs with net heel gaurds. Anyone else run both these series on the same machine? Buying another machine and setting it up isn't really a variable because I don't have enough money. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance

MossboysRacing
09-09-2008, 03:42 PM
i race xc. (i'm too fat for motocross:D ) anyway but my brother races xc on his 250r, he has +1 a-arms with 4 to 1 wheels which basically puts it to stock width. i would think if you got +1 a-arms and 4to1 wheels and use those for xc and put 3 to 2 wheels when you went to mx race. that would make you wider. you could get an adjustable axle, lonestar and others make one. set it to stock for xc and take off the rear hubs and swap the spacers to make it wider for mx. i dont know what shock issues you'll have, hopefully someone else will chime in. hopefully i helped.jeff

HondaRaceReady
09-09-2008, 08:24 PM
Still might not be wide enough for mx. Maybe if you used wheel spacers, but I wouldn't.

bluebaron
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
You don't need to be a full 50" to do well in MX

badtothebone440
09-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, theres no way I could even come close to 50 inches without wheel spacers, and I really would like to avoid using wheel spacers.