PDA

View Full Version : 416 Rebuild - HELP!!!! - Smoking and clacking!

epharr
09-09-2008, 07:44 AM
All,
I just rebuilt my 416 - Had the head redone at the machine shop down the road. I have a new 10:1 87mm wiseco piston, and now on startup, we have a few issues....

1) Smoking white and blue - I know that this is normal until the rings are seated fully, but still looks like way too much smoke even for burn-in. Checked the valve clearences on my hotcam stage 2, I am set at .005" on intake and .006" on exhaust.

2) Hard Starting - Turns over - sounds like a spark issue, and might be one, but it then starts rough after about 15 revolutions are made.

3) Timing is dead on - Checked and re-checked last night.

4) I am only running 91 octaine on this

I think that should be about it. I will check in here and answer any questions for ya, please help.

Thanks
Eric

drew416ex
09-09-2008, 04:44 PM
hmmm. I dunno. Is the machine shop a reputable one. Mine only smokes for maybe 30 seconds for the first startup after a rebuild. Did you put new valve seals in it when you rebuilt it?

epharr
09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
Yep. I think the machine shop broke the bottom of the valve guide. Just pulled the head and found the valve guide on exaust was broken on the internal bevel'd end. That'l do it every time. I am just glad I only ran it for less than 30 secs. Could have been a lot worse. Thanks for the reply.