PDA

View Full Version : whats my 400ex worth?

buck440
09-08-2008, 11:23 PM
it's an 04 with new every in the engine i have receipts over 2,200 for the rebuild some of the things it has is,razrs all around 85%,new extra front fender,250r hood scoop on org fenders,renthal bars,powermadd hand guards,new renthal bar pad,416 or 426 wiseco piston,hmf ballance exhaust, jetted,lonestar bearing carrier,crb air shrouds,ac nerf bars(not pro peg) aluminum lonestar e-brake block off plate,ac bumper,ac main skid plate,new rear caliper,bling-star number plates, factory effex sponsor stickers all over looks cool,maier rear # plate. now the bad, one of the front left fender mounting tabs is broken off but you cant notice it when you ride its still pretty solid it also needs a few bushings here and there cause it rattels decently when you ride it but let my know what you think this screamer is worth,thanks.:devil: :devil: :devil:

buck440
09-08-2008, 11:25 PM
thats the picture before the hood scoop and the shrouds will have more pictures soon.

gojk
09-08-2008, 11:29 PM
If I saw a picture of the quad dunked like that when I went to by the quad, I would turn around and walk off.

Without seeing the picture you might get $3000-$3500. That would be the high side IMO.

hypersnyper6947
09-09-2008, 12:40 AM
terrible pic to post when asking this question,

None of our quads are worth what we think or want for them, when you can find yfz's and 450r's floating around craigslist in the 3000 to 3500 range nobody is going to buy a 400ex for more than 3000. It sucks but thats what it is, I even found a yfz in great condition for 2700 on craigslist, i would have bought it if i had the cash, everyone is hurting for cash right now so there selling there stuff cheap, in return bringing down the price of our beloved ex's. Good luck

mittman
09-09-2008, 06:58 AM
2500-3000 my dad bought a 05 yfz for 2900 on craigslist i just said a couple of weeks ago i have over a grand in parts on my 02 400ex and i said im going to get riped if i ever want to sell it so i said im going to run it till it dies i might have it for a long time lol

buck440
09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
so i guess around 3,000 i guess i can live with that

bean2080
09-09-2008, 08:31 PM
lol looks like you ride like i do :D but i would say around $3000 also. looks like a nice bike, just get rid of the pic if your going to sell it.

leasureryan
09-09-2008, 09:06 PM
I agree with the guy who said he would walk away......I would do the same

hell....I avoid even small mud puddles......

if I wanted to mud bogg a quad...I would do it with a utility quad

MtnEX
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by hypersnyper6947
None of our quads are worth what we think or want for them [/B]

Boy oh boy... ain't that the truth!!!

The bad part is that we really never think about this until we consider selling.

I thought about this myself... and I think I probably have more in extra stuff than the whole package would probably sell for in the market.

I could probably do better on a part-out.

RaginRedneck
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Boy oh boy... ain't that the truth!!!

The bad part is that we really never think about this until we consider selling.

I thought about this myself... and I think I probably have more in extra stuff than the whole package would probably sell for in the market.

I could probably do better on a part-out.

Do what I'm doing, save all of the stuff you replace. That way if I ever decide to sell it I can replace it to stock, and sell the aftermarket stuff individually.

I don't care what toy you have, you will be hard pressed to not lose money on a toy. Like it was said earlier, there are 450r's going for 3-3500....they are in the same boat that EX guys are in. For that matter, you lose money on Jet Ski's, boats, Jeeps, Utility quads, go carts....etc, etc, etc. You show me a toy where people consistently make money or recoup what they put into it and I'll get into THAT hobby!!:devil:

gojk
09-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Most boats actually hold their value fairly well compared to the other items you listed. But you are still going to lose money if you decide to sell it down the road.

MtnEX
09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by RaginRedneck
Do what I'm doing, save all of the stuff you replace. That way if I ever decide to sell it I can replace it to stock, and sell the aftermarket stuff individually.

I don't care what toy you have, you will be hard pressed to not lose money on a toy. Like it was said earlier, there are 450r's going for 3-3500....they are in the same boat that EX guys are in. For that matter, you lose money on Jet Ski's, boats, Jeeps, Utility quads, go carts....etc, etc, etc. You show me a toy where people consistently make money or recoup what they put into it and I'll get into THAT hobby!!:devil:

Classic & Hot Rod cars is the one hobby/toy exception I think.
Good money to be made there on appreciation.

Our toys depreciate pretty quick.

As for the rest of what you said... I know where a cherry new-condition stock 400EX is... been playing with the idea of buying it and possibly parting out mine.

The only thing holding me back is I am afraid I'll want too keep to much of my current bike, plus the stock parts on the other one.

I already know off the top of my head I'd want to keep my plastics, seat, lights, nerfs, skids, bumper, tires, wheels, exhaust, hand guards... lol...

hypersnyper6947
09-10-2008, 02:43 AM
^^^
Yea for real i would like to buy one of the new Mustang GT500's and put it in a bubble for 40 years, then take it out and sell it. That will definitely make some money.

Yippie-Ki-Yay
09-10-2008, 05:34 AM
After reading this i feel rather lucky to have sold my 02 250ex for 2500!

mittman
09-10-2008, 08:20 AM
it sucks that value on most things go down there has only been one thing that my parents bought and sold and didnt loose money and that was a 01 wrangler bought for 12 and sold for 15 if you keep your 400 long enough it will be a collectors and i bet 30years from now it will still be runnin do you think there will be much call for a 30 yr old atv in 2040 lol

buck440
09-11-2008, 04:01 PM
here are some pictures of it

buck440
09-11-2008, 04:05 PM
here is a picture

Snipe
09-11-2008, 04:17 PM
No matter what you buy if it has a motor in it the second it roles off the dealers lot and into your truck onto the trailer or onto the street the price dropps! I dont care what it is the second the key goes in it the second it drops.

for that fact the second you sign the papers it drops lol.

This is on new or semi old stuff.

Everyone knows when something gets really old and is in good condition it goes back up in value the reason for that is because over the years after they stop making something alot of them end up wrecked junked or destroyed therefor the number available drops and price and demand goes into effect. Limited Quantities mean more mula!:eek2:

RaginRedneck
09-11-2008, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by gojk
Most boats actually hold their value fairly well compared to the other items you listed. But you are still going to lose money if you decide to sell it down the road.

I'll almost give you this one, but here is my disagreement. While boats hold their value fairly well in general for a stock boat, a modified boat loses money big time. If you look at any of the race boats out there running big blocks with blowers/nitrous, etc. there is no way that the owner is going to get out of it what he put into it.

Classic cars/Hot Rods are kind of the same thing, this is the one true exception that I might grant. If you go find a rusted to **** 34' Ford Coupe, dump $20K into it, you will probably have a $30K hot rod that someone would be willing to pay, but then you have to find a buyer.

As far as buying a new GT500 and shrinkwrapping it for 40 years, I would love to do that as well, but that's not really a toy, its an investment.....and for me, if I have a GT500 sitting in the garage, I will be driving that son of a gun.

Just my .02 guys. I just believe that any TOY you buy and build you will ultimately in end up losing dollars on, but at the same time how do you convert fun into $$$? Because modding our toys and trying out stuff that hasn't been done, or putting a new twist on an old trick....thats some fun SHIITE!!!:devil:

vAnS_77
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Based off of what I have saw in my RV&AUTO, 03-06 450r's are selling for 4k, sometimes even 3.5k. People who are buying quads right now are looking for stockers, nothing that is (sorry to say) half built with your kind of "flair" on it. I'm not making fun of your quad but people have their own taste. Basically, what I would do, if you could in anyway. Strip the quad down to the most stock you can get it, or atleast looking. Then sell it off, when some people see 426, or any kind of bore. They think the quad will run horrible. If you really want to get rid of it, strip it, call it a 400ex. You would get around 2600-2900 max.

buck440
09-12-2008, 09:47 AM
that hurt:eek:

Ruby Soho
09-12-2008, 09:59 AM
youll be lucky if you buy something and get back what you payed or more.

i accept losing money on toys, because i enjoyed using it, and im not in it to make money back, it was worth it to me to lose money and have fun doing it.

vAnS_77
09-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Originally posted by buck440
that hurt:eek:

We all have our style, some are just more common than others :P