PDA

View Full Version : 440ex???

bjg696
09-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Anybody with a 440 kit have any trouble with there 4 wheeler leaking any oil from the head gasket when it gets hot?

drew416ex
09-09-2008, 02:56 PM
nope. Is it leaking from the head gasket, base gasket or valve cover gasket? It shouldnt be coming out of the head gasket because no oil should be getting to that one.

bjg696
09-09-2008, 04:10 PM
well it looks to me that when it gets hot it comes from the head gasket. There are no leaks around the base gasket. And the vlave cover gasket looks clean. But right below the spark plug is where it is leaking. Its not alot but it just gets all over the front of the motor. and thas the 3rd gasket i have had to put on it.

EX LONERIDER
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
did you remove the gas tank and all that top end body stuff in order to see if it may be coming from one of the valve adjusting caps? it might be seeping slowly from up there from a bad seal.

i'd pull it all off and do a rundown. leaky oil is not a good thing....

hypersnyper6947
09-10-2008, 02:47 AM
I had a leak but it was def from my valve cover not my head. I had stripped out one of the bolt holes that hold the valve cover on. I had it heli coiled and now it works perfect. Dont over tighten those valve cover bolts they strip real easy.

bjg696
09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
Well i did all that and its not comming from the valve cover caps for sure. I got one stripped on the valve cover. But as far as i can see its leakn below the exhaust. thats why i think its a head gasket. I mite just end up taking it off and do a run down on the top end and try that. I hate the oil leakin tho

86 Quad R
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
an overlooked head or cylinder face can contribute to a leaking head gsket especially on the big bores. it is important that the head is true as well as totally smooth.

from experience i have noticed that when the big bore kits are packaged there is a variation in the quality of gaskets that will come with it. and if your mating surfaces arent perfect a potential leak can result.

bjg696
09-11-2008, 07:06 AM
Well the facing was perfect when i put it back together. It just started leaking all of a sudden bout a week ago. But i just dont know where its leaking. guess ill jerk it back apart and see what the deal is. Im going to install a heavy duty cam chain on the tear down, so its all good.

86 Quad R
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
food for thought.......... on any build. it is a good idea to go back and re-check the torque of the bolts after the initial breakin process.