View Full Version : New Yamaha YFZ450R !!!!

One_Bad_400
09-08-2008, 01:50 PM
HOLY CRAP that thing is nice. EFI, aluminum chassis, 49 inches wide! new tires. ALL new. as of right now i'd trade my honda for a yamaha

http://www.yamaha-motor.com/assets/content/images/600/09SPATV_YFZ450R_Bl_D8%20_008_edbfd681.jpg

http://www.atvriders.com/images/yamaha/2009-atv/yamaha-2009-yfz450r-sport-atv-blue-right.jpg

Gray33
09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Its nice and all but you could get a pretty decked out quad for how much that thing costs. Ill wait for a few years and get it

09-08-2008, 02:27 PM
i hate it. Nice features but it looks terrible

outlaw450mxr
09-08-2008, 02:30 PM
It's really nice, but the wet weight is 405lbs:confused: wasn't the 2008 only like 370 with all the fluids and one gallon of gas? I don't think about 2 more gallons of gas weigh 35 lbs? And it has an aluminum frame so wouldn't that make it lighter? But besides that it is still very nice.

tt racer
09-08-2008, 02:35 PM
Efi longer arms and axle and suspension are going to add weight.

yfzrider310
09-08-2008, 02:45 PM
it looks good but it will take some getting used to.

ThePhantomRider
09-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, first off, I like it alot.....

Now for the reality check....some may not like what I will say...

Yamaha re-designed their quad they went race width, an approach KTM and Can-Am both took.

They went with not only a hybrid metal frame, but made it a no-weld unit...they did the first hybrid metal, then they applied the no weld concept adopted by Can-Am.

EFI, it was only a matter of time and one that most will like, carb purists will not.

Heck, the replaceable side panel looks almost lifted from the DS.

They are using KYB shocks with Kashima coating,,,,,very similar to the DS and the suspension numbers are very close as well.

Lastly, they made sure to make a point to talk about "mass centralization" which was heavy in the Can-Am information during the build process.

All this tells me that while many enthusiasts took shots at the DS, (I still think it needs more bottom end) Yamaha showed that both KTM and Can-Am were very much on point in their designs and Yamaha, while not taking a huge leap to the unknown, took a very measured step in applying the best of what the others offered for what looks to be a worthy competitor in the "race ready" arena

TPR

Ruby Soho
09-08-2008, 03:16 PM
couldnt have said that one better phantom.

tt racer
09-08-2008, 03:25 PM
Nice points but yamaha started the whole 450 thing in 03!

ThePhantomRider
09-08-2008, 03:45 PM
You're right, sort of...actually though if you want to go back to the original race ready quad, you'll have to go back to the Cannondale Speed 440.

Everyone can thank them for the swift kick in the pants to go down the same road they do with their 2 wheel counterparts.

TPR

Honda_Matt
09-08-2008, 04:23 PM
Im not a fan of the appearanc, Especially the seat!

quaddin227
09-08-2008, 04:26 PM
i didnt expect this until next year too bad i just bought an 08..dont like the looks as much but im sure it's going to be a beast

mxpimp2000
09-08-2008, 05:29 PM
this quad is gay lol jk its wierd lookin maybe yamaha will move up on the podium atleast they need to :confused: ill stick with my 06 yamaha i like it better

daddio
09-08-2008, 05:52 PM
It looks like a Raptor mated with a YFZ and gave birth to the R.

I'll buy one....... The look will grow on you in no time. ;-)

onebadr
09-08-2008, 07:35 PM
well im a honda guy but take off the lights and shave the fenders and it will look mean .. i think its sick and really want to rip one

csr250r
09-08-2008, 07:51 PM
I think this thing is awsome, yamaha is taking steps in the right direction with this one and they still offer the yfz for this year

mxpimp2000
09-08-2008, 07:59 PM
yeh i believe i changed my mind after lookin on yamaha's website and seeing the videos and more pics of it i wish i had one they are NICE and cant wait to see how the LT mx setup will be for the nationals next season they will be badddd:D

etccb
09-08-2008, 08:15 PM
This is a brand new machine from the ground up just like the ds was.Now canam can watch and see how you build a quad and bring it to the public because this one won't have even close to the pro level dnf rate that the ds had.

joedirt
09-08-2008, 10:15 PM
Cam Am = Poor Results they don't compare you can't compare.

Lonestar_R
09-08-2008, 10:26 PM
I wonder if Bill Ballance and Bradon Sommers will have these in XC Trim before the end of the GNCC season? Will the GNCC's even allow them to run them since they aren't on the dealers floor till November?

Pappy
09-08-2008, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by Lonestar_R
I wonder if Bill Ballance and Bradon Sommers will have these in XC Trim before the end of the GNCC season? Will the GNCC's even allow them to run them since they aren't on the dealers floor till November?

If they are slated for a November release to the dealers, its plausable that they could be seen in competition (Production models would have been manufactured as to meet the required units in production to qualify the machine)

We know they have them ready to ship, so its very possible atleast for Ballance to run one at Ironman, especially if he clinches the title before that event. He ran the 2004(Year could be wrong, its late) YFZ at that event to kick off that model.

I doubt Sommers would run one unless he had a locked points position, or the damn thing is that good and he felt he could get it up front and keep it there.

Lonestar_R
09-08-2008, 10:48 PM
hmmm thanks Pappy. Wonder if Sommers will be putting time on the new quad at the AWRCS Series? But that may not be either since it may screw up his training

grantmi
09-09-2008, 08:36 AM
- This really seems like a Yamaha version of the LTR........I still think Can-Am has the best idea with the MX & XC specific models!

- I am kinda surprised how heavy this unit is. I thought my LTR was heavy at 413, but the YFZ is close at 405lb.

- Will Yamaha be coming out with more of an XC version, or are they planning to keep the old model?

Jersey450R
09-09-2008, 08:57 AM
Originally posted by ThePhantomRider
Well, first off, I like it alot.....

Now for the reality check....some may not like what I will say...

Yamaha re-designed their quad they went race width, an approach KTM and Can-Am both took.

They went with not only a hybrid metal frame, but made it a no-weld unit...they did the first hybrid metal, then they applied the no weld concept adopted by Can-Am.

EFI, it was only a matter of time and one that most will like, carb purists will not.

Heck, the replaceable side panel looks almost lifted from the DS.

They are using KYB shocks with Kashima coating,,,,,very similar to the DS and the suspension numbers are very close as well.

Lastly, they made sure to make a point to talk about "mass centralization" which was heavy in the Can-Am information during the build process.

All this tells me that while many enthusiasts took shots at the DS, (I still think it needs more bottom end) Yamaha showed that both KTM and Can-Am were very much on point in their designs and Yamaha, while not taking a huge leap to the unknown, took a very measured step in applying the best of what the others offered for what looks to be a worthy competitor in the "race ready" arena

TPR

perfectly said.

but the front springs look like a joke.

mxpimp2000
09-09-2008, 09:26 AM
yes ballance will be running this quad i know him personally i live like 5 mins from his shop and visit weekly as far as when i cant say but he has them on the way

54warrior
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
http://www.atvriders.com/gallery/2009-yamaha-yfz450r-atv-photo-gallery/images/yamaha-yfz450r-atv-7083.jpg

Is that some type of quick release device for the rear fenders???

bwamos
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
Doesn't look like it to me.

It's jsut a transition clip from a aluminum bracket to a steel clip that's less prone to fatigue cracks.

54warrior
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
I miss the old 250R style fenders!!!!

daddio
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by 54warrior
I miss the old 250R style fenders!!!!

You mean the kind that always fall off, unless you add extra brackets and bolts? :D

54warrior
09-09-2008, 11:46 AM
Originally posted by daddio
You mean the kind that always fall off, unless you add extra brackets and bolts? :D

Yeah, that kind exactly. I'm sure today's engineers could find a way to improve upon that idea and still make it simple to remove the fenders in a similar fashion.

daddio
09-09-2008, 11:52 AM
How about going one better, and making it like the dirt bikes, where you remove a couple bolts and the whole back of the bike comes off.

54warrior
09-09-2008, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by daddio
How about going one better, and making it like the dirt bikes, where you remove a couple bolts and the whole back of the bike comes off.

Now that's a great idea!!!

CdaleXtreme
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
Does anyone Know MSRP?

tt racer
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
They have had something simalar to what your talking about the 250r after market flip top sub frame.

mxpimp2000
09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
$7,999

54warrior
09-09-2008, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by tt racer
They have had something simalar to what your talking about the 250r after market flip top sub frame.

Not on a stock quad though!!

smelly$cat
09-09-2008, 03:33 PM
Is it just me or does the red frame and red seat on the red/white one look horrible together? One looks almost purplish. Will have to check out in person to make a final decision.... 405lbs was shocking to me as well, but, makes sense with the extra width.

Ellingsoc26
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
ya 407 lb is alot compared to my honda which built is at 356. So i will pass on this thing. i dont see how they got all that much more weigh when the frame should help make it lighter

Fred55
09-09-2008, 03:59 PM
no way your honda is 356 with all the fluids ready to ride, ill bring scales to prove it

Ellingsoc26
09-09-2008, 04:33 PM
My bad i forgot to say that was dry weight

400grl
09-09-2008, 05:46 PM
There is more than just gas to consider with "curb weight". There is coolant, oil, gas, etc.....plus, all the little things add up, as was previously posted. Longer arms, longer swingarm, beefed up engine cases, EFI, etc.....my guess is you won't notice the fact that it's a little heavier than the YFZ when you are on it.

BTW - I was at the dealer show and saw these in person - all I can say is they are awesome!!! Can't wait to get one on the track!

04TRX400EX
09-09-2008, 07:05 PM
I was totally surprised to see this variation of the YFZ. I just figured Yamaha would let everyone down in '09 like Honda did by not changing a thing. Instead, they went all sneaky on us :D

I like the way it looks a lot. The stance is good, and with the a-arm and axle width, you may not have to do much with it. The shocks look pretty solid but I never did understand why Yamaha always chooses progressive springs versus dual or triple rate?

The R should be a serious contender in my book. I think I'll still buy a leftover Honda 450R though and spend the $3k I'll save on mods. And what's with the porky weight of 405lbs. :confused:

NOR CAL 131
09-09-2008, 07:08 PM
This bike is not ridiculously heavy IMO...Curb weight of the TRX450 is 390lbs for E-start version and 383lbs for kicker...from honda's website.

tt racer
09-10-2008, 12:27 PM
Guys! why the complaints about the weight, you need to weigh any 450 motocross with long travel and they all will be around 400lbs wet.

CarFanatic
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
thats sick!

I wish more manufactures made a mx and xc versions like ktm.

I ride all woods and trails and just play on motox courses. I'd love to see them do a xc version.

grantmi
09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Is it really going to be worth that much more over the Suzuki???? $7999?

daddio
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
Originally posted by grantmi

Yup. Yamaha parts are cheaper. You'll save the $700 in the first year. :D

And the YFZ is way easier to work on. In the time it takes me to pull the plastic off of a LTR, I can have the whole motor out of a YFZ.

Off-Road Maniac
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
Originally posted by grantmi

I am guessing Suzuki's prices will be up for 09 anyhow. This will kick *** over the Suzuki.

Quadevil
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by tt racer
Guys! why the complaints about the weight, you need to weigh any 450 motocross with long travel and they all will be around 400lbs wet.

KTM SX has long travel, nerfs etc and weighs 364lbs only missing 2.7 gal of fuel.
2.7 gal isn't 35lbs so the SX is way below 400lbs.

TheNewn
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by Quadevil
KTM SX has long travel, nerfs etc and weighs 364lbs only missing 2.7 gal of fuel.
2.7 gal isn't 35lbs so the SX is way below 400lbs.

2.7 gallons of gas weighs approx. 16.2 pounds (thanks google) so 364 plus that is over 380. And if im not mistaken the SX is still carb and i believe the EFI stuff will weight a bit more. Its still very comparable. 400+ pounds on a race ready quad doesn't belong in the sci-fi zone like some people are suggesting.

take a huge dump and get a haircut before the race...wha-bam you just made up the difference...

Quadevil
09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by TheNewn
2.7 gallons of gas weighs approx. 16.2 pounds (thanks google) so 364 plus that is over 380. And if im not mistaken the SX is still carb and i believe the EFI stuff will weight a bit more. Its still very comparable. 400+ pounds on a race ready quad doesn't belong in the sci-fi zone like some people are suggesting.

take a huge dump and get a haircut before the race...wha-bam you just made up the difference...

Your right isn't such a big difference but it exists and can save some sec's. Either way there's equally other things that have impact too on a race, like power, traction, etc

One thing i don't understand is ppl talking bad about the yfz style. C'mon one minute it was the most beautiful sport quad and now it's ugly? it hasn't change that much, i think is beautiful :)

Although i'm a ktm fan, i like the new yfz, they did some important upgrades and managed to keep the price low. The only thing is that Yamaha should've launched this last year at least...

Seems like Honda is sleeping though...

54warrior
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
I'll add this, just some food for thought:

In July of 2002, I purchased a 2003 Cannondale SPEED for $7999. It had an aluminum frame, fuel injection, yada yada. A lot of the same stuff as this new Yamaha, which coincidently is priced the same, at $7999.

My point, you ask??? I'm sure this Yamaha will run all over that Cannondale and be WAAAY MORE reliable while costing the same price, even though it's now 6, yes SIX years later.

Not a bad deal at all IMHO.!!!

hsr
09-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I'll add this, just some food for thought:

In July of 2002, I purchased a 2003 Cannondale SPEED for $7999. It had an aluminum frame, fuel injection, yada yada. A lot of the same stuff as this new Yamaha, which coincidently is priced the same, at $7999.

My point, you ask??? I'm sure this Yamaha will run all over that Cannondale and be WAAAY MORE reliable while costing the same price, even though it's now 6, yes SIX years later.

Not a bad deal at all IMHO.!!!

Very true...the price tag on the new yami is going to appeal to a lot of potential buyers.

04TRX400EX
09-10-2008, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by hsr
Very true...the price tag on the new yami is going to appeal to a lot of potential buyers.

This is true. All sport/race quads are moving into the $7000 range and this new YFZ-R probably has the best parts out of the box for the money. Because of its width and suspension, lower class racers can literally race it stock, similar to the LTR. In my opinion though, the LTR's are not nearly as good looking as the YFZ which I feel has the cleanest and leanest look of all the 450's. Now I know looks don't mean anything to some people, but to others it's important.

I think its going to do very well stock and can only imagine what it will be like with an exhaust and some shock rebuilds :macho

And that's a good point about the weight. 405lbs. wet is pretty darn close to the others considering the EFI and such.

dynofox
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
This is true. All sport/race quads are moving into the $7000 range and this new YFZ-R probably has the best parts out of the box for the money. Because of its width and suspension, lower class racers can literally race it stock, similar to the LTR. In my opinion though, the LTR's are not nearly as good looking as the YFZ which I feel has the cleanest and leanest look of all the 450's. Now I know looks don't mean anything to some people, but to others it's important.

I think its going to do very well stock and can only imagine what it will be like with an exhaust and some shock rebuilds :macho

And that's a good point about the weight. 405lbs. wet is pretty darn close to the others considering the EFI and such.

The new YFZ does look like a great machine for sure but do you guys think yamaha should have done what can am is doing and offered MX and XC versions of the quad?

54warrior
09-10-2008, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
The new YFZ does look like a great machine for sure but do you guys think yamaha should have done what can am is doing and offered MX and XC versions of the quad?

I think they probably ran out of time. Their focus was on the MX machine and I look for both versions next year. Possibly a mid-year model even??

Think about all the parts that would be different:

Shocks
A-Arms
Tie-Rods
Axle

Not a long list, however it would require completely different testing and another part to the assembly line in the factory, etc. All of which takes time.

dynofox
09-10-2008, 06:53 PM
I think they probably ran out of time. Their focus was on the MX machine and I look for both versions next year. Possibly a mid-year model even??

Think about all the parts that would be different:

Shocks
A-Arms
Tie-Rods
Axle

Not a long list, however it would require completely different testing and another part to the assembly line in the factory, etc. All of which takes time.

I think you're right about running out of time, surprised to see 21" F and 20" R tires on a MX quad. If they do indeed create 2 different models for next season they should offer quality tires and wheels like can am is. This thing does have a lot of potential though, should give the quad racer a good run for its money for the title of best stock mx quad on a budget.

slicknickz
09-10-2008, 09:49 PM
I think the red one is faster...:D

400grl
09-11-2008, 12:00 AM
Yamaha chose to go with those tires because their research showed that, while most of the people who buy the YFZ's are sport riders, a much less percentage than you think actually race their quads. They chose a slightly larger tire basically because it was a better all around tire for the most common buyer.....it makes sense. I don't know many racers who keep stock tires anyway......

dynofox
09-11-2008, 06:16 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
Yamaha chose to go with those tires because their research showed that, while most of the people who buy the YFZ's are sport riders, a much less percentage than you think actually race their quads. They chose a slightly larger tire basically because it was a better all around tire for the most common buyer.....it makes sense. I don't know many racers who keep stock tires anyway......

Good point but if they were holeshot mx pros like the can am they might. If most buyers are actually sport riders why make it almost 50" wide? Maybe that is why they kept the normal yfz, for trail riders?

400grl
09-11-2008, 02:28 PM
Hmmm....good question....I know I always rode my full MX quad in the dunes, trails and everywhere even with the MX setup - being 50" wide wasn't a hinderance at all - as a matter of fact, I definitely liked it better in all riding conditions - not just on the track. But then....we don't really have any trees here - mostly cactus - lol!

yfzrider310
09-11-2008, 03:52 PM
I think more people will buy it for the "cool" factor rather than it just being a motocross quad.

reconmaster
09-11-2008, 07:34 PM
looks pretty sweet and its nice that yama finally stepped up

Ride1Rob
09-12-2008, 06:43 AM
If most buyers are actually sport riders why make it almost 50" wide?

The average trail rider or sport rider either makes the bike wider or wants to make the bike wider for better stability anyway. Unless you're a GNCC or Harescramble racer the width setup wider is better. I also have a full MX bike and it's set up with MX in mind and I ride trails over 90% of the time. The only differences are jumps and wider paths on the track. Most MX tracks that I've ridden have only room for 2 quads to fit side by side in most places other than the start. The trails that I ride here in Florida are highspeed trails that my 49inch YFZ will ride in with plenty room left. These trails have whoops, burms, sweepers, tight corners, etc... They're mostly long MX tracks in the woods with no jumps ;) . Majority of the sportbike riders that I've come into contact with want to make the bike lower and wider for better stability.

bwamos
09-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I never did understand why Yamaha always chooses progressive springs versus dual or triple rate?

Simple really. They sell a standard spring setup. They don't tune the suspension per rider. Therefore there is no reason to go with a dual/tripple rate setup as they are not mixing and matching spring rates to tune it to an individual rider or riding style.

So with no need for the tripple rates it would simply be added unnecessary cost.

dynofox
09-12-2008, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by Ride1Rob
The average trail rider or sport rider either makes the bike wider or wants to make the bike wider for better stability anyway. Unless you're a GNCC or Harescramble racer the width setup wider is better. I also have a full MX bike and it's set up with MX in mind and I ride trails over 90% of the time. The only differences are jumps and wider paths on the track. Most MX tracks that I've ridden have only room for 2 quads to fit side by side in most places other than the start. The trails that I ride here in Florida are highspeed trails that my 49inch YFZ will ride in with plenty room left. These trails have whoops, burms, sweepers, tight corners, etc... They're mostly long MX tracks in the woods with no jumps ;) . Majority of the sportbike riders that I've come into contact with want to make the bike lower and wider for better stability.

There are a lot of spots in the areas I ride that would be too tight for a mx width quad to fit. My 250r is just under 48" wide and can be a pain in some of our tighter trails. Making the quad lower and wider is obviously going to make it handle better but it gets to a point were it becomes a real hassle to get it through the trails, especially some of the tight ones we have here in the north east.

LTR450_#67
09-12-2008, 08:38 PM
I just noticed that you YFZ lovers won't be able to put a kicker on anymore...any thoughts on that??

ready4oryou2
09-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I just went to the yamaha website and looked at the pics and that is wicked sick man I would love that seat it looks so comfy. Tho I don't think I would buy one yet just for the fact of it is that my guess is that all the bugs aren't worked out of it yet. I learned that lesson when I bought my 05 and don't get me wrong the 05 is a great machine but the upgrades they put on the 06s made a difference.

RUTHLESS
09-13-2008, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by LTR450_#67
I just noticed that you YFZ lovers won't be able to put a kicker on anymore...any thoughts on that??

stop in md
i will show you how to roll in the woods
kickers or not, you will be following
trust me you may not know of me
but vets haul the SHIZZZNITTTZZZ

DONE

RATPACK Z400
09-14-2008, 12:05 PM
why does dirtwheels show the 09 line up with no real changes to the 450 is this a 2010 model or what? looks like a real winner in the 450 class and i cant stand yami,s . And about the width i run 49 in,s and never have problems and I ride PA,MD,hatfield& mcoy,if the trails are that skinny there no fun leave them to the 4&4s.

jdlove...yfz450
09-14-2008, 12:35 PM
i will wait a year or two before i get one too. they are definitly proud of the new z aren't they, looks that way by there pricing

Ryan
09-14-2008, 06:25 PM
Looks like a great quad! They definitly went in the right direction with the Alumnium frame, efi, wide a-arms and axle.... Could have done better on the looks... Looks like a mix between the old YFZ, a DS, and a Predator. Not much of a fan... But with shaved fenders and no lights....... Thats a different story. Old YFZ's look 100% better stock-stock.

Definitly looks ideal and close to race ready if you plan to run the MX track.

I bought the 08 YFZ, but I can say im glad I didn't wait. Most important reason is I run alot of tight trails, rocks, ect. With that setup, I wouldn't even fit through the tree's around here. Very rarely will I get time to hit the track, in Walden, ny. And a good, mean lookin quad has me sold. This one will probably grow on me, but its just a tad fugly :huh .

All in all, looks like a top competitor for a MX enthusiast.... Like someone said in a earlier post.... I hope they decide to have an XC version of this machine. Suzuki should do the same with their model.

JMO

04TRX400EX
09-14-2008, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
why does dirtwheels show the 09 line up with no real changes to the 450 is this a 2010 model or what?

The YFZ450R was a surprise late release. Everything thought/hoped Yamaha would release something similar to this for '09 but it appeared that would not be the case until last week when the R was shown. No one knew it was coming.

I agree with the other comments about wider width being preferred regardless of riding terrain. Personally, I cannot wait to either build my MX 450R or maybe now this new YFZ-R for the track but I will definitely be taking it to the trails, maybe just change the tires.

bwamos
09-15-2008, 06:48 AM
There are a lot of spots in the areas I ride that would be too tight for a mx width quad to fit. My 250r is just under 48" wide and can be a pain in some of our tighter trails. Making the quad lower and wider is obviously going to make it handle better but it gets to a point were it becomes a real hassle to get it through the trails, especially some of the tight ones we have here in the north east.

As a note incase anyone didn't notice. Those front wheels look like 3+2 offset. Put on some 4+1's and you've gone from 49" down to the prefered 47" XC width. Now is the rear axle width adjustable?

Sick0
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM
They raptorized my yfz.... Now my only complain is why so long on telling the world... I waited for the '09 released and was disappionted, and spent 2000 to rebuilt my old yfz....

REEDracing94
09-15-2008, 06:06 PM
i have some trouble with my 46" wide blaster in some of the trails around here

RosquistRacer39
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I like the idea behind the quad but there are a few areas that I see trouble. First they have the same subframe and anyone who owns a yfz knows that they start to flex and break after a short time. I wished they would have put on a 4 point subframe like the honda to help combat this. Also the pressure the subframe puts on the upper frame rails causes them to crack and break and by the looks of the pics of the frame the upper rails are cast much like the subframe. I can imagine that these will be a problem area as well on the new bike. I'm still not sold on bolting the bike together. If welding the material makes it so weak why do all the manufactures weld the dirt bike frames together? Cannondale, supposedly the best aluminum frame builders out there still welded them together, so it cant be all that bad. Then again I break grade 8 bolts all the time so it would ease my mind a little if it was welded together. Yamaha built a bike to keep up with the competition, I wished they would have built a bike to surpass them.

54warrior
09-17-2008, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by RosquistRacer39
Yamaha built a bike to keep up with the competition, I wished they would have built a bike to surpass them.

Well put! That's a great way (and correct IMO) of looking at it!!!!

XCRacer236
09-17-2008, 06:43 PM
I TOLD EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THIS THING WAS COMING!!! AND ABOUT HALF BELIEVED ME! IF YOU FOLLOW GNCC AND BILL BALLANCE, YOU KNEW THIS THING WAS COMING!!!!

Dr89
09-17-2008, 07:41 PM
lol im sorry but everyone saying that this thing is ugly has chit for brains...that quad is gorgeous :devil:

there honestly is no other quad that even remotely rivals the look of the yfz, new and old....you could easily prove this without bias by lining up every 450 to date and having a few little kids pick out there favorite...they're obviously going to pick the one that "looks coolest" all performance aside....haha i did this using pictures with a few of my younger cousins....

thats all i had to say, i was gettin mad reading all the comments about how ugly it is because....i mean wow, the lines are flawless.

REEDracing94
09-17-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by Dr89
lol im sorry but everyone saying that this thing is ugly has chit for brains...that quad is gorgeous :devil:

there honestly is no other quad that even remotely rivals the look of the yfz, new and old....you could easily prove this without bias by lining up every 450 to date and having a few little kids pick out there favorite...they're obviously going to pick the one that "looks coolest" all performance aside....haha i did this using pictures with a few of my younger cousins....

thats all i had to say, i was gettin mad reading all the comments about how ugly it is because....i mean wow, the lines are flawless.

i agree the yfz is the best lookin 450 out there

but ppl have diffrent opinions

TheNewn
09-18-2008, 12:32 AM
Originally posted by CaseDawg350
I TOLD EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THIS THING WAS COMING!!! AND ABOUT HALF BELIEVED ME! IF YOU FOLLOW GNCC AND BILL BALLANCE, YOU KNEW THIS THING WAS COMING!!!!

....ZOMGF!!!!111one!!!!11!1!!!eleven!!1!!!....

And on a more serious note, i really enjoy the looks as well. I think it looks great.

woodside83
09-18-2008, 07:33 AM
it looks awsome. i want one. and have my mx ready yfz for sale i can t wait to get one in november.

tt racer
09-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Its a work of art its what everyone was asking for and here it is. I dont think anyone should wait for the second year thing because this thing has been in development for three years. Yamaha learned alot over the years with the yfz and is getting some of the best input through high quality riders. The quad is going to get better in the future just like anything you will buy so im going to get the best quad out there for the money, the yfz 450R!:)

BrettOaktree
09-18-2008, 07:50 PM
ya i think it must be pretty solid cuz if u watch the videos on the yamaha website they say its already been available overseas

Simon MX49
09-18-2008, 09:09 PM
I think the thing looks sick, one of the best looking quads out IMO.

As for the suspension, heck yah. Take a set of Fox Floats to the a-arms and you should be pretty good off

As for the frame...Not a fan. I've been watching the Can Am's continuously DNF in the GNCC's and with the same basic frame design I would not even consider this as a first or maybe even second year quad for XC. For MX I'd say yah, I love my Yamaha, it an 05 p.o.s. and I still love it. Give it a year or two to prove itself on the track and in the woods and I'd buy one. Till then the only new quad I'd buy is a 450SX or 525XC

benroels
09-18-2008, 10:57 PM
...and with the new 2009 YFZ, Honda will finally have the balls to release their "new" 450R in 2016. Man it's tough being a Honda fan.

grantmi
09-19-2008, 09:03 AM
Originally posted by Simon MX49
I think the thing looks sick, one of the best looking quads out IMO.

As for the suspension, heck yah. Take a set of Fox Floats to the a-arms and you should be pretty good off

As for the frame...Not a fan. I've been watching the Can Am's continuously DNF in the GNCC's and with the same basic frame design I would not even consider this as a first or maybe even second year quad for XC. For MX I'd say yah, I love my Yamaha, it an 05 p.o.s. and I still love it. Give it a year or two to prove itself on the track and in the woods and I'd buy one. Till then the only new quad I'd buy is a 450SX or 525XC

Although I am a Suzuki guy.....I have not heard that the aluminum frames were the issue for Can-Am........it seemed like the frames were holding up quite well.....is there any information to the contrary?

I also do support the approach Can-Am is taking with there models. The XC and MX specific models are the way I would like this sport to go IMO.

Simon MX49
09-19-2008, 09:11 AM
I've never seen any actual evidence of breaking frames, I just know I've heard Natalie and a couple other Can Am MX riders were having problems snapping frames. Whether this is true or not, I cant really say? I know I would not own a Can Am at the moment, Chris Bithell and Brent Sturdivant have had serious bad luck with their machines this year, they both only had(or just under) one lap this past weekend in Snowshoe, and its not the first race they've DNFed because of a broken machine:grr:

grantmi
09-19-2008, 09:38 AM
Which it is really a shame they are having these issues....otherwise they one would be a machines I would look at. Although, I cannot say I would have the same issues as I am nowhere near a pro level rider!

Ride1Rob
09-19-2008, 10:21 AM
I hear that it was mechanical issues that CanAms were experiencing not the frames. Natalie had a couple dnf's here in Florida on the GNCC early circuit. Not really a fan of an aluminum frame myself. Have heard here and there that Kawi was having issues with frames cracking, breaking, etc...

RATPACK Z400
09-22-2008, 09:10 PM
you know what COULD be the problem with the can-ams is the extra vibration on motor do to the alum frames ,as i heard the cannodales had motor and electrical problems too just my thoughts on that ,but the looks of new yami are sweet.not a fan of mixing alum & steel either one or the other imo!

tt racer
09-23-2008, 08:25 AM
The new counterbalancer yamaha designed should help alot on that department!

54warrior
09-25-2008, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
you know what COULD be the problem with the can-ams is the extra vibration on motor do to the alum frames ,as i heard the cannodales had motor and electrical problems too just my thoughts on that ,but the looks of new yami are sweet.not a fan of mixing alum & steel either one or the other imo!

The cannondales had motor problems because they rushed through all the design and released a machine too soon. There are guys running c'dales now that have corrected those problems and the motors will last longer than any of the Big 4.

Kevslatvin
09-25-2008, 06:31 PM
I think it looks pretty sweet and like the idea of fuel injection. I don't know about the frame though. One note about Honda. I saw a Dirtbike mag in the store and it showed the CRF450 getting fuel injection so maybe 2010 on the 450r. Looks like Yamaha beat them to the punch again.

400grl
09-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Those of you who are worried about the frame, I wouldn't be. Yamaha has had some of the fastest racers and test riders testing these things for a while now. If there were major problems with this design, they would have been discovered already and addressed long before being released to the public. I'm never had an ATV with a modular frame before.....the idea that we can take the frame apart to access the motor is a cool one - anyone who has tried to do a lot of motor work around a welded frame can appreciate the modular design.....

tt racer
09-26-2008, 03:35 PM
Im glad someone sees it my way if you can afford it just buy the damn thing. You guys need to quit speculating and trust it its not going to be perfect but compared to anything else for the money its a cant miss!:D

09-26-2008, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
i hate it. Nice features but it looks terrible

yeah ur a honda rider,that think looks d**n good!!!,better than the R!

400grl
09-30-2008, 02:01 PM
There isn't a Yamaha quad that I don't like the looks of - they have always been top of the line in the looks dept- this looks enough like the YFZ to be great looking - but just enough different to keep it interesting.....I think it looks awesome! With the lights out and some shaved fenders it's going to be even better!

scuzz
10-01-2008, 09:41 AM
Originally posted by outlaw450mxr
It's really nice, but the wet weight is 405lbs:confused: wasn't the 2008 only like 370 with all the fluids and one gallon of gas? I don't think about 2 more gallons of gas weigh 35 lbs? And it has an aluminum frame so wouldn't that make it lighter? But besides that it is still very nice.

Don't forget that includes the battery also. Previous dry weights did not have that included.

outlaw450mxr
10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
I didn't say anything about the dry weight, I said wet weight.

scuzz
10-02-2008, 08:19 AM
The dry weight doesn't include the battery generally.

From wikepedia:

]Wikipedia - motorcycle dry weight (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry_weight_(motorcycle))

[i]There is no standardized way to test the dry weight of a motorcycle. Inconsistencies will almost always be found between a motorcycle manufacturer's published dry weight and motorcycle press and media outlet's published dry weight. This is due to different testing techniques, differences in what is being excluded, and a lack of defining how testing was conducted by the organization doing the testing. A battery is typically excluded from dry weight by manufacturers but not always by media outlets. Some press and media outlets just exclude fuel to define their dry weight. For a typical sport bike, the difference between wet weight and manufacturer claimed dry weight is around 70 lb (32 kg).[1] This difference includes around 30 lb (14 kg) of gasoline, 7 lb (3.2 kg) of engine oil, 7 lb (3.2 kg) of coolant, and 9 lb (4.1 kg) of battery. These weights are even larger for bigger motorcycles with higher capacities.[/i

outlaw450mxr
10-02-2008, 11:38 AM
I know and i never said anything about any dry weight of anything...

Dr89
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM
but if you go by what he just posted then i would assume he's trying to say that the wet weight of the 08 wasnt 370...

which i agree, yamaha's dry weight for older models is 350 right? then add about 70lbs to account for the things he listed and your closer to 405-410. see what im saying?

i think thats the point he's trying to make...correct me if im wrong scuzz

outlaw450mxr
10-02-2008, 03:55 PM
Ok, I was just going by what that 7 450 shootout in the magazine said, I dont like to go by what magazines say but they said they put one gallon of gas in each quad plus every other fluid and put each tire on a nascar scale and the yfz came out to like 370 or 373 lbs or something. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

mx-660
10-02-2008, 05:28 PM
The yfz was 377lbs. ready to ride with 1 gal. of fuel. Can-Am 370lbs. Ktm 367lbs. The new yfz 450r is 28 lbs. more. That fact alone will keep me from buying one. The weights are from the march issue of ATV Sport.

outlaw450mxr
10-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by mx-660
The yfz was 377lbs. ready to ride with 1 gal. of fuel. Can-Am 370lbs. Ktm 367lbs. The new yfz 450r is 28 lbs. more. That fact alone will keep me from buying one. The weights are from the march issue of ATV Sport. Ah that was it, do you remember what the rest where?

Dr89
10-02-2008, 08:37 PM
The yfz was 377lbs. ready to ride with 1 gal. of fuel. Can-Am 370lbs. Ktm 367lbs. The new yfz 450r is 28 lbs. more. That fact alone will keep me from buying one. The weights are from the march issue of ATV Sport.

haha it takes a lot more than 28 less pounds to win races. you lose about that much with aftermarket exhaust, wheels, and removed headlights anyways....just from a racing stand point. but the new yfz450r has sooo much more going for it than any other 450 out right now that its ridiculous to count it out based on 28lbs. the yfz is so balanced and proportioned that you could add 50 more pounds and it would still win races.

cudo's to yamaha on the new design, i dont care if they did steal ideas from other companies, they looked at what was and what wasnt working and incorporated features accordingly, it hardly needed work to begin with. love it.

jakes
10-03-2008, 02:38 AM
Look at the official Suzuki site, their 2009 450R curb weight is 188kg = 413.6lbs.

scuzz
10-03-2008, 08:11 AM
Originally posted by Dr89
but if you go by what he just posted then i would assume he's trying to say that the wet weight of the 08 wasnt 370...

which i agree, yamaha's dry weight for older models is 350 right? then add about 70lbs to account for the things he listed and your closer to 405-410. see what im saying?

i think thats the point he's trying to make...correct me if im wrong scuzz

I thought he was saying something he may not have been about the dry weight vs what he thought was "wet" weight.

Nothing to see here...move along.

:)

400grl
10-05-2008, 10:08 PM
I don't think Yamaha stole ideas from other companies....especially considering they had the first 450 to begin with. Being in the motor building business, I have learned there are certain technologies that everyone in a particular niche is just aware of....as soon as something new comes out (shocks, coatings, motor secrets), those who are serious about making the best out there, will find out about it. There is a difference between stealing an idea or technology, and just using the best one available at the time.

Also, in regards to the new YFZR being heavier (curb weight), don't forget that adding length to a-arms and swingarm will also add weight. I'm certainly not worried about it.....it's going to handle so well you won't even notice it.

joeyds450x
10-15-2008, 11:01 AM
im not gonna lie i like it but i like the ds450 way better

ATVMX905
10-16-2008, 09:22 AM
i think the ds looks ugly as ****. i cant wait to see yamis race bikes. they are gonna look sickk!:D

400grl
10-22-2008, 11:10 AM
I just can't wait to get one out on the track!

Toadz400
10-26-2008, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Gray33
Its nice and all but you could get a pretty decked out quad for how much that thing costs. Ill wait for a few years and get it

You can say the same thing about all the other OEM quads, so what's your point? The price is actually very competitive.

I like it. In fact, I like every single new quad out there besides the KFX450R. However, my YFZ is paid off so I'm very content with mine.

BrettOaktree
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
im very content with my yfz also but the yfz is known for having just about the best bottom end hit and midrange out of the 450s and i think having that engine combined with a motocross chassis is gunna be sick

BrettOaktree
11-03-2008, 03:44 PM
im very content with my yfz also but the yfz is known for having just about the best bottom end hit and midrange out of the 450s and i think having that engine combined with a motocross chassis is gunna be sick