PDA

View Full Version : Tire and wheel question

Matt Wells
09-08-2008, 12:52 PM
This is my first post on this site and I am the proud new owner of a 08 Brute force 750 woodsman green. My question is this I would like to get some larger tires with more tread than the stock ones. I like the stock polished rims that it came with but I would like to have a wider stance to the machine. I am thinking of putting on some wheel spacers withthe stock rimms and getting some 27/12/12 for the rear and 27/10/12 for the front on my stock rims. Will combo create any kind of clearence problems for me?
And also I would like to get some more protection on the front of the machine like the moose front bar or possibly the Bison brush guard to cover the front end, along with some skid plates and CV guards. does any one know if I will have a problem with using a plow with either of these products? I already have the Warn 2500 winch on the quad now BTW.

Thanks in advance for any help in these matters.

Matt Wells
09-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Well...my first post was on the 8th of this month and today is the 11th...and not a single reply as of yet....
WOW...what a great and informative site. Must get used quite a bit. :ermm:

YZ400EX
09-11-2008, 09:57 PM
Yea this site is good, but not for these UTS portions.. very few visitors really.. I am in the same boat as you so if I find anything I will let you know.. som other sites I have found to be pretty good for the Brute's are:

http://www.kawieriders.com/forums/

http://highlifter.com/forum/default.aspx

http://www.nyrocatv.com/forum.cgi

Hope this helps

kawa_me
10-31-2009, 06:37 AM
Hey Matt.
just ran across your post. I'm exactly where you are. In June I bought me a 2008 750 Brute Force; mines red though.
I'm also in the market for some taller tires.
No wonder they say Polaris is the Cadillac of the ATV's. Polaris has a super big extra soft seat and the Polaris stock tires are usually 2 sizes larger than the the Jap machines. I do have a 07 Sportsman 500, and it rides like a cloud. Not a bad little machine. I do love my 08' 750 brute Force with the V Twin. My goal is to make it ride as comfortable as the Sportsman 500.

Tire Size My Polaris:
Front: AT26x8R12
Rear: AT26x11R12
Rear: AT27x10-12
and a less aggressive tread.
That should give it at least a 15% better ride. I ride on my 750 for 4 hours at a time, so Im looking for as comfortable as possible. If the taller tires don't give what Im looking for, I may go as far as having the seat re-upholstered bigger softer foam.
Muffler for the 750:
I'm currently looking at the HMF

kawa_me
10-31-2009, 06:40 AM
:cool:
ATV Tire Replacement Tips!

Do you know which aftermarket ATV tire best suits your needs? Choosing the right tire for your Four-Wheeler doesn’t have to be difficult.
ITp TiresHowever with all the different brands, ply ratings and tire types available, shopping for new tires for your ATV can be a little confusing.

My first shopping experience for tires came after wearing out the stock OEM tires that came with my Honda 300 4X4. With nothing to compare them with, I felt they handled and wore pretty well. In reality the OEM tires will do just fine for the majority of ATV owners needs, under most circumstances.

My particular riding conditions varied from steep, rocky, to sandy, mud and snow… On many rides I encountered all these conditions. With the stock tires, I often had flats, got stuck and was unable to climb many steep hills. So I opted to buy the toughest tires with the best all-around traction available.

Things To Consideration When Upgrading Tires
Looking back, I really didn’t really understand all the effects of changing tires. I felt that I just needed a tough tire with good traction, so I thought! Fortunately, the ITP Big Foot package worked out, but not without some surprises along the way. Here’s how the transition went...

The Unpleasant Surprises!

1… The new tires were 6 ply, very stiff and gave a much harsher ride and made steering more difficult at slow speeds.

2… The tires were larger and heavier which changed the gear ratio, making me downshift more and lose horsepower.

3… These wider tires, with more aggressive tread, threw much more dirt, mud, and snow on the bike and me than the stock tires did.

4… The harsh ride and strain on the rear axle made it necessary to replace and upgrade that axle.

The Pleasant Surprises!

1… Better traction than expected. These ATV tires seemed to be able to go most anywhere, except in deep, soft sand.

2… A one inch gain in clearance with these taller tires really made a difference in clearing obstacles without affecting riding balance.

3… No more tread punctures or sidewall tears, even from the sharpest rocks. I got a small rock caught between the bead and rim, lost all the air and was still able to ride 10 miles back home without tire damage.

4… Longer wear from these tougher tires. They will probably lose bead tension and leak before the tread wears out.

Lessons learned… Don’t just go out and buy ATV tires without thoroughly assessing your needs. Ask yourself, do I really need new or better tires? If so, do your homework and consider the following…

ATV Tire Buying Tips!

* Do you really need new tires? Stock tires, if not badly worn will perform just fine for most common everyday riding conditions.

* Consider cost. Good ATV tires can be as expensive as car tires. What’s your budget?

* What kind of riding conditions do you encounter most often? Mud, snow, sand, rocks, smooth and hard or a combination of the above. Look at tires in that category or even a good all-around tire.

* Looking for a smooth, comfortable ride with good performance? Consider one of the new radial tires.

* For puncture resistance and toughness, consider a 6-ply tire.

* When buying larger/oversized tires, make sure they will fit and won’t rub on fenders or frame. Assess the effects of power loss and gear ratio changes, handling etc.

* Consider buying a tire/wheel package for your particular ATV model which can eliminate many potential problems and they look good too.

My Pick… and Review of the ITP MudLite!
A few years ago, I bought a new Yamaha Big Bear 4X4. Having been spoiled by the performance of the upgraded tires on my Honda Fourtrax, I immediately set out to replace the standard issue (Carlisle) tires with something better.

I wanted a tough, lightweight 6 ply ATV tire with the best possible traction for all riding conditions, a smooth ride and the same size (to fit my stock rims) as the tires I was replacing. After much research, only one tire met my specifications, the ITP MudLite.

Did I Make the Wrong Decision?
When I first received these tires, I asked myself, did I screw up? These look like some mud tire intended for east of the Mississippi! I ride mostly in dry rocky conditions mixed with dirt, sand, and a little seasonal snow and mud.

I was really worried until I actually started using them. ITp MudLites I have since put a couple thousand miles on the MudLites, in every imaginable on/off-road situation. Following are my observations over this period…

* Ride Comfort… These tires ride exceptionally smooth on pavement and dirt roads. They also absorb the impact of rocks and other obstacles very well.

* Noise… The noise level is only slightly more than the OEM tires.

* Steering/Handling… These tires steer effortlessly and track well over the trail, but they are a little sensitive to uneven surfaces, tending to follow small ruts and grooves etc.

ATV Flat Tire
* Puncture Resistance… No punctures yet, but twice I have gotten small bits of gravel caught between the tire bead and rim causing me to lose all air, necessitating a ride for miles on a flat tire over some rugged terrain, still without any damage to the flat ATV tire shown to the right. Yes, look closely this is how it looks when flat.

* Wear… After 3 years and 2,000 hard miles, only a little wear shows.

* Snow Traction… These tires are very good in the snow, and seem mostly limited by clearance/high-centering caused by snow buildup.

* Mud Traction… Mud traction is as expected, pretty good for a multi-purpose tire.

* Sand Traction… Loose sand traction isn’t the greatest, but still plenty adequate for occasional encounters, if you keep the speed up.

* Loose dirt/Rocks… This where these tires really shine, especially in very steep terrain. The soft tread cleats that wrap around the tire shoulders and flexible tire construction combine to grab nicely on to most dirt/rocky trail conditions.

Conclusion… There are many good ATV tires out there to choose from and, to be honest, most do a pretty good job for the average rider.

If you are looking for something better, a reasonably priced, all-around tire that is smooth responsive, tough and performs well in most any riding situation, it’s hard to beat the ITP MudLite or its new Radial brother, the MudLite XTR.

kawa_me
10-31-2009, 07:04 AM
:cool:
ATV Tire Replacement Tips!

Do you know which aftermarket ATV tire best suits your needs? Choosing the right tire for your Four-Wheeler doesn’t have to be difficult.
ITp TiresHowever with all the different brands, ply ratings and tire types available, shopping for new tires for your ATV can be a little confusing.

My first shopping experience for tires came after wearing out the stock OEM tires that came with my Honda 300 4X4. With nothing to compare them with, I felt they handled and wore pretty well. In reality the OEM tires will do just fine for the majority of ATV owners needs, under most circumstances.

My particular riding conditions varied from steep, rocky, to sandy, mud and snow… On many rides I encountered all these conditions. With the stock tires, I often had flats, got stuck and was unable to climb many steep hills. So I opted to buy the toughest tires with the best all-around traction available.

Things To Consideration When Upgrading Tires
Looking back, I really didn’t really understand all the effects of changing tires. I felt that I just needed a tough tire with good traction, so I thought! Fortunately, the ITP Big Foot package worked out, but not without some surprises along the way. Here’s how the transition went...

The Unpleasant Surprises!

1… The new tires were 6 ply, very stiff and gave a much harsher ride and made steering more difficult at slow speeds.

2… The tires were larger and heavier which changed the gear ratio, making me downshift more and lose horsepower.

3… These wider tires, with more aggressive tread, threw much more dirt, mud, and snow on the bike and me than the stock tires did.

4… The harsh ride and strain on the rear axle made it necessary to replace and upgrade that axle.

The Pleasant Surprises!

1… Better traction than expected. These ATV tires seemed to be able to go most anywhere, except in deep, soft sand.

2… A one inch gain in clearance with these taller tires really made a difference in clearing obstacles without affecting riding balance.

3… No more tread punctures or sidewall tears, even from the sharpest rocks. I got a small rock caught between the bead and rim, lost all the air and was still able to ride 10 miles back home without tire damage.

4… Longer wear from these tougher tires. They will probably lose bead tension and leak before the tread wears out.

Lessons learned… Don’t just go out and buy ATV tires without thoroughly assessing your needs. Ask yourself, do I really need new or better tires? If so, do your homework and consider the following…

ATV Tire Buying Tips!

* Do you really need new tires? Stock tires, if not badly worn will perform just fine for most common everyday riding conditions.

* Consider cost. Good ATV tires can be as expensive as car tires. What’s your budget?

* What kind of riding conditions do you encounter most often? Mud, snow, sand, rocks, smooth and hard or a combination of the above. Look at tires in that category or even a good all-around tire.

* Looking for a smooth, comfortable ride with good performance? Consider one of the new radial tires.

* For puncture resistance and toughness, consider a 6-ply tire.

* When buying larger/oversized tires, make sure they will fit and won’t rub on fenders or frame. Assess the effects of power loss and gear ratio changes, handling etc.

* Consider buying a tire/wheel package for your particular ATV model which can eliminate many potential problems and they look good too.

My Pick… and Review of the ITP MudLite!
A few years ago, I bought a new Yamaha Big Bear 4X4. Having been spoiled by the performance of the upgraded tires on my Honda Fourtrax, I immediately set out to replace the standard issue (Carlisle) tires with something better.

I wanted a tough, lightweight 6 ply ATV tire with the best possible traction for all riding conditions, a smooth ride and the same size (to fit my stock rims) as the tires I was replacing. After much research, only one tire met my specifications, the ITP MudLite.

Did I Make the Wrong Decision?
When I first received these tires, I asked myself, did I screw up? These look like some mud tire intended for east of the Mississippi! I ride mostly in dry rocky conditions mixed with dirt, sand, and a little seasonal snow and mud.

I was really worried until I actually started using them. ITp MudLites I have since put a couple thousand miles on the MudLites, in every imaginable on/off-road situation. Following are my observations over this period…

* Ride Comfort… These tires ride exceptionally smooth on pavement and dirt roads. They also absorb the impact of rocks and other obstacles very well.

* Noise… The noise level is only slightly more than the OEM tires.

* Steering/Handling… These tires steer effortlessly and track well over the trail, but they are a little sensitive to uneven surfaces, tending to follow small ruts and grooves etc.

ATV Flat Tire
* Puncture Resistance… No punctures yet, but twice I have gotten small bits of gravel caught between the tire bead and rim causing me to lose all air, necessitating a ride for miles on a flat tire over some rugged terrain, still without any damage to the flat ATV tire shown to the right. Yes, look closely this is how it looks when flat.

* Wear… After 3 years and 2,000 hard miles, only a little wear shows.

* Snow Traction… These tires are very good in the snow, and seem mostly limited by clearance/high-centering caused by snow buildup.

* Mud Traction… Mud traction is as expected, pretty good for a multi-purpose tire.

* Sand Traction… Loose sand traction isn’t the greatest, but still plenty adequate for occasional encounters, if you keep the speed up.

* Loose dirt/Rocks… This where these tires really shine, especially in very steep terrain. The soft tread cleats that wrap around the tire shoulders and flexible tire construction combine to grab nicely on to most dirt/rocky trail conditions.

Conclusion… There are many good ATV tires out there to choose from and, to be honest, most do a pretty good job for the average rider.

If you are looking for something better, a reasonably priced, all-around tire that is smooth responsive, tough and performs well in most any riding situation, it’s hard to beat the ITP MudLite or its new Radial brother, the MudLite XTR.

stumpjumper_09
11-18-2009, 03:27 PM
wow!!!! that looks like an itp sales bulliton