PDA

View Full Version : what plastic can fit on a 250r?

destey
09-08-2008, 06:32 AM
I've done a search, didn't come up with anything conclusive. Something about hardware kits that planned for production but was vaporware/never got produced. Anyone know what models plastic might also work on a 250r? I'm open to minor mods to the plastic / mounting hardware.

I'm hoping for something in blue/black or blue/white.

thanks!

09-08-2008, 07:38 AM
Plastic designed for a 250R will work on a 250R and will look far better than anything you could conjure up.

destey
09-08-2008, 11:37 AM
very helpful

All250R
09-08-2008, 05:51 PM
like 8686 said, the 250R plastics are probably your best bet. In my personal opinion they are the best looking plastics a quad has ever come with. Insect or cartoonish looks totally look childish, flamboyant, or feminine to me. I straight detest the new wave of japanese plastics. Actually my distaste extends to the look of their trucks, and street bikes too. They're not concerned about having to capture the American market anymore because they already accomplished it in the 90's, so we're seeing more asian style and influence.

Anyway, The OEM stuff fits excellent and don't require odds and ends brackets and bolts or cutting, drilling. They're really shiny and have crisp lines. You won't be disisapointed in the looks if you bolt on new OEM stuff. However, new OEM plastics are the biggest single chunk of money you can put into your quad behind suspension and overhaul engine work. Sometimes you can find solid used stuff on ebay though.

dynofox
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
Originally posted by 8686
Plastic designed for a 250R will work on a 250R and will look far better than anything you could conjure up.

I'm surprised anyone would want to change to different plastics honestly. The 250r is the best looking sport quad ever, especially the '88 IMO. Its a 20 year old design that still holds up, reminds me of a classic muscle car.

All250R
09-08-2008, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by dynofox
Its a 20 year old design that still holds up, reminds me of a classic muscle car.
It reminds me of what the modern design should similar to. It's not like butterfly wings are the result of advancemts in fabrication like sheet metal and chassis construction is. lol

dynofox
09-08-2008, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by All250R
It reminds me of what the modern design should similar to. It's not like butterfly wings are the result of advancemts in fabrication like sheet metal and chassis construction is. lol

I totally agree! The sad part is the majority of new quad riders like the new styles, it makes me sick when people say the raptor is the best looking quad...yuck! :rolleyes:

Creech52
09-08-2008, 06:25 PM
I like the way my 700 raptor looks, its just borderline though. but I still believe you cant beat the looks of the R.

But to answer the original poster, people have modified the older 400EX plastics to fit and looks decent. If you search Im sure theres some explination of how they made it work. Also I seen a post on here recently about someone putting 450R plastics on an R that was on ebay, and according the the ebay add it "bolted right up" but didnt look to be so. Really if you have some fab skills you make pretty much anything work, but your big draw back is the gas tank.

Some food for thought though, that I have noticed with the new bikes and the 250R, the 250R plastics break down so easily, and looking at new bikes theres a ton of fastners and peices to remove to get to anything. You cant get much easier then pulling R plastics.

trx310R#24
09-08-2008, 08:58 PM
450r plastic an 400ex plastic will work... but if u want that why would you buy an r lol

destey
09-09-2008, 04:56 AM
The R fenders do look nice, i just haven't been able to find some affordable that I like.

I was hoping for a color scheme likethis (http://www.atvworld.com/products/motorsportalloys/raptor700blueL.jpg)

Are those decals where the white sections are? Are multicolor schemes done with one color plastic and different color decals?

f4istunna
09-09-2008, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by dynofox
I totally agree! The sad part is the majority of new quad riders like the new styles, it makes me sick when people say the raptor is the best looking quad...yuck! :rolleyes:

I like the way my raptor looks especially when someone else is on it and i get the front view coming at me (looks mean), I have 2 r's also and love the look of them. Im more partial to the looks of the older bikes for the most part ie 400ex id take a 99-04 body over new anyday

OnTheGas69
12-09-2009, 03:05 PM
My favorite is the 88' R with all stock fenders, and mild shave job to the front. :eek2:

Nahum
12-09-2009, 03:32 PM
I tried to get a set of new Fullbore plastics but shipping ´em to my country is to expensive.

I could easily get a set of new Maier plastics. Is Maier as durable as the stock and Fullbore plastics?

OnTheGas69
12-09-2009, 04:10 PM
Maier nowadays is pretty darn good. If you can't get oem, deffinately go for some maier. Can't go wrong with laker or fullbore however.

mfr422
12-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Destey,
that craptor has blue n black plastic with a graphics kit on it, the white is the decals. You could duplicate the look with maier using blue fenders and a black hood N tank.
Getting the seat cover will be the hard part, you'll have to have one custom made if you want the white in it. most graphic companies have templates for the R. I would personally go with a black seat cover and do the rest of it, I think it would look good!! Roost on!!