PDA

View Full Version : Toe settings... right tie rod

MtnEX
09-08-2008, 06:25 AM
OK I give, so I'm going to hit the hay for the day, but before I do, I'd like to know what toe setting you guys run.

Mine is way toed in... I have the left tie rod loose and ready to go, but the right one... it has me stumped. Maybe because I'm just very tired... maybe because it is really tight.

Which way do I need to be turning the jam nuts on the right one to loosen?
Also anyone know off the top of their head what size those nuts are?
I couldn't find the right size wrench... might need to pick one up if they are actually just that tight.

:blah:

400exMO
09-08-2008, 04:25 PM
The tie rods are interchangeable from side to side, so right turns the same as left.

I run about 1/4 inch toe

MtnEX
09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Ahhh... got some sleep in :p

According to the factory service manual, the thing has a gold end and a silver end... the silver end having left-hand threads. I didn't notice that before.

I didn't find anything on the jam nut size though.

Rkangel7
09-08-2008, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by MtnEX
Ahhh... got some sleep in :p

According to the factory service manual, the thing has a gold end and a silver end... the silver end having left-hand threads. I didn't notice that before.

I didn't find anything on the jam nut size though.

Off the top of my head want to say the jam nuts are around 18mm. I'm running aproximately 1/4" to 3/8" toe in.

MtnEX
09-09-2008, 08:38 PM
They're not 18mm... my new wrench says so...

Rkangel7
09-09-2008, 11:28 PM
I just re-checked mine. A 19mm will work (and is ultimately what I used) but it is slightly loose and a 17mm won't fit. Which is why I was shooting for 18mm. Of course it could be my semi-crappy wrenches.

78ta
09-09-2008, 11:38 PM
stock are 19mm, I just checked....its sad I had to go check because I was just working on tie rods about 10 hours ago

remember kids, momma was right...drugs are bad!

MtnEX
09-10-2008, 01:43 AM
Yeah, surely it's metric which would put it at 19mm.

Surely it's not standard... lol...

And here I thought I could take almost the whole thing apart with a 10mm... lol...