PDA

View Full Version : My new toy

etcatmeat
09-07-2008, 08:58 PM
Hey guys whats up. I'm a long time rider of buggys and quads. Just came across this forum and it looks like theres good info and people here.

I just picked up a 05 450r that was only ridden a handful of times. It was brand new last year, was a left over model at the dealer when the PO bought it. It is mostly stock right now and plan on leaving it pretty stock, less wrenching and more reliability on this machine the better for me. I just ordered a k&n and outerwear for it. I also ordered plastic renew kit to clean up some scratches on the fenders (that crap bugs me :grr: ) I also just changed the oil (both sides with the honda recommended fluids) the filter and plug (honda crazy priced plug) this afternoon. It runs beautiful. Kicks over on the first time mostly. I don't know if the PO ever adjusted the valves so I figure I should do that later this week.

I think that should pretty much take care of any maintenance that I should ensure its up on. Anyone have any other recommendations?

Also I was considering a slip on exhaust. I would rather keep the stock header. I also would like to keep the stock jetting if possible. It would just be cool to have the sound really.

I am looking at those new fox "boots" that are more like high top shoes actually. Anyone here tried them? I would rather have something like these that are smaller and cooler if possible.

That's it for now!
Thanks

REPOMAN
09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
welcome and congrats on the new ride. as far as the boots go i had a pair of the oneal 50/50 boots and hated them. well i cant say hated i only wore them a couple of times before i knew they provide absolutley no ankle protection. i ended up giving them to a friend who races pit bikes

etcatmeat
09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
I can't seem to find those fox boots anywhere online, not even on the fox website! I think I will pick up a pair tomorrow and post some pics. Supposedly they are "hot off the press." They are higher top than the 5050 but not quite as high as a full normal boot.

drider
09-08-2008, 01:10 AM
nice bike man, congrats on scoring a bike that is totally stock. It's a good things, well you will need to re jet if you decide of adding a slip on. Good place to start is on the main jet from 180-190, also you will need a needle.

etcatmeat
09-08-2008, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by drider
nice bike man, congrats on scoring a bike that is totally stock. It's a good things, well you will need to re jet if you decide of adding a slip on. Good place to start is on the main jet from 180-190, also you will need a needle.

I will probably keep the stock pipe then. I just wanted to hear it more is all.

zje400ex
09-08-2008, 01:36 PM
you could get an exhaust insert for your stock exhaust. i have the hrc kit on my 05 and the hrc end cap sounds nice

ThorMX17
09-08-2008, 01:58 PM
i just pulled my insert out. its not spark arrested or anything any ore but it sounds good. :) and then if you have to, you can put it back in for riding at a place where its required.

bama06300ex
09-08-2008, 02:25 PM
Well man I dont think you'll be dissapointed on the new purchase. It looks like its in emaculate condition! I just got an 05 bout 7 months ago and love it. I have a slip on HMF and it adds a little power and sounds great, I recommend it. Also, I would take the K&N back and get a UNI. You can almost get 2 unis for the price of one k&n! And the UNIS are A LOT better. And thats not just my opinion, check some threads, there was a poll a while back and it was hands down UNI. If you have any questions try this forum first, the people on here are very very helpful. Good luck and be safe!!

ThorMX17
09-08-2008, 02:31 PM
ill back the Uni filters too.

dabrick
09-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally posted by ThorMX17
ill back the Uni filters too.

me to the best filters

REPOMAN
09-08-2008, 07:36 PM
i will throw my OPINION in he ring for k&n.

fastlanesimmons
09-08-2008, 09:03 PM
I know its going to be hard for you, but I wouldn't be worrying about the little scratches. That's why we buy them!! Just buy new plastics every few years if it bothers you that bad. Great color!! Mine looked the same when I got it...that lasted about one day...

etcatmeat
09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
I special ordered in the K&N so I think I'm roped in. I got it cheap anyway, my buddy is the parts manager. I'll have to look at the HRC end cap, that sounds like the way to go. I can't wait to get her in the dunes! I rode it down my street today and this sucker likes to wheelie! (I'm sure you guys know but I'm excited haha)

represent618
09-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Nice! Welcome to Paradise.

I run stock exhaust with the arrestor removed, sounds good, runs great.

I can`t wait for snow personally!

etcatmeat
09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
as promised, the new Fox Comp 5S. VERY comfortable. In between a 5050 and full boot.

bama06300ex
09-10-2008, 08:53 AM
How much did those run ya? I think I might give em a try, they look pretty good with still enough ankle support.

etcatmeat
09-10-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by bama06300ex
How much did those run ya? I think I might give em a try, they look pretty good with still enough ankle support.

I got a deal on them because my buddy is the parts manager. Normal retail price is $109.