PDA

View Full Version : What's the width limit for mx?

HondaRaceReady
09-07-2008, 08:04 PM
My friend keeps saying that you can make your bike as wide as you want for mx and there are no rules for width. He used to race mx but he rode dirtbikes, so I don't know if he's right. I heard the bike can't be wider than 50". I'm just wondering because I don't want to buy a wider axle and wheels and not be allowed to use them when I race.

d3ktrix
09-07-2008, 08:11 PM
50"

I've never seen an axle that will make you illegal unless you get some weird offset rear wheels.

Most tracks in NJ won't even bother checking you unless its some big event hosted by a race series.

BlaineKaiser450
09-07-2008, 08:31 PM
yep 50

Seano300ex
09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
i dont race mx but i have heard that it doesn't really matter how wide you are, unless it is a national or sum type of big event

Derrick Adams
09-08-2008, 07:13 PM
The standard rule is 50". It's not really the rear you have to worry about, its the front. There are combos out there that will put you over 50". My bike measures 50.5" with JB arms and stock wheels.
My local track does tech for this, but a quick lift up on the front of the bike before I roll thru makes it just fine.;)

I have heard a rumor floating around the internet that this may go to 52" in the near future.

chillinsk8err
09-08-2008, 08:42 PM
wouldnt a too wide of bike push to hard in the conors

09-08-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Seano300ex
i dont race mx but i have heard that it doesn't really matter how wide you are, unless it is a national or sum type of big event

yeap i have heard the same that they dont check. they just say 50" max to clear the gates which doesnt make sense because i doubt the gates are that exact and close where you could get hung up on another

D Bergstrom
09-08-2008, 09:35 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
they just say 50" max to clear the gates which doesnt make sense because i doubt the gates are that exact and close where you could get hung up on another

If a track has a 50" max width, the "gates" you are refering to is more then likely the tool they use to measure width. It is just two vertical bars spaced exactly 50" apart. They will usually make you ride through it before the race to check everyone. If you fit you are under 50". If you do not fit, you are over. Simple.

Check with the track you are going to race at, they may or may not have the rule. I would think most local tracks do not have that rule. Any AMA sanctioned race will have it though, has it is part of the AMA rulebook.

Doug