PDA

View Full Version : Molossi Over-range kit vs Dr pully

snowbalz
09-07-2008, 06:37 PM
I am in the market to upgrade the front and rear pulley to a better setup on a stock 08 drx50 . Is there any big advantage to either of these vs the stock set up and is one better than the other? Any advise would be great.

Thank you.

raidernut
09-07-2008, 08:21 PM
neither one of these will be a good choice on a stock 50, keep the stock setup until you move up to a 70 or 90. you wont see any performance gain with a stock 50, probably perform worse.

#404's Dad
09-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Originally posted by raidernut
neither one of these will be a good choice on a stock 50, keep the stock setup until you move up to a 70 or 90. you wont see any performance gain with a stock 50, probably perform worse.

Very good advice right there!!! I wish someone had told me that a few grand ago, if they did I sure didn't listen.

snowbalz
09-08-2008, 02:15 PM
Thank you for saving me money. Aside from port & polish. air filter and sprockets what other mods are there for a little more power?

JIM GRACE
09-08-2008, 05:43 PM
we saw a big improvement in power from porting..

bulldogfallon
09-08-2008, 06:50 PM
Seat time...

Tune the carb and CVT and then work on rider technique

Most things make you go slower in the stk limited class

Logan #34's Dad
09-10-2008, 08:37 PM
Porting yes, Poishing? Smooth is not always fast.;) Listen to Gary's advise.

snowbalz
09-11-2008, 06:45 AM
I agree seat time is very inportant. We practice twice a week and race every other week he has two years experiance riding and one year racing. But when the other quads are pulling away on strait aways and at the gate; when he is wide open its no loger a seat time problem. If they pass him in the turns or on jumps I agree it would be a seat time issue but that is not the case here. It seems like I need more acceleration and a little more top end. I do know one other rider was cought cheating in which I hope this was an islated case.

Thanks for all your great advise.

THARNESS
09-11-2008, 08:14 AM
I sent you a pm. Call me I can help you.

lauvrayracing
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Tharness,

Could you send a little information my way as well. I am running into the same problem. I will be the first to admit my boys need more seat time. However my oldest is flat out in the flats and one of the other riders just walks away from him. I will pm you what I have done to the quads. Would just like to give the other boy a little competition instead of an easy first every weekend. Thanks!

THARNESS
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Hi Mr Lauvray, I sent you a pm.

Nichols Atvs
09-11-2008, 02:15 PM
Heres how to find out if the riders are really holding the throttle all the way . Turn the throttle limiter screw more than half way in and let them ride they will have to hold the throttle pinned to get any where . Slowly move the screw out with out them knowing they will get used to having to pin it to move this needs to be done over a period of days of riding. this got my son to go faster with out doing anything to the engine. You think that they are using the full throttle in corners but they let off the throttle early this makes them have to go faster in there head because they rememmber having to hold down till the thumb stops . Neat to watch them get better.

snowbalz
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
I like that throttle trick. I am going try it at our next practice this weekend. You are right they do brake too early in the turns but I am mostly concerned with the long straightaways.

Thanks for the great advise.

#404's Dad
09-11-2008, 06:56 PM
Not exactly sure how I got our son to drive it in the corners deep but I do know that in a class like the Limited class its especially important to out break the others with the bikes being so equal.

I try and remind my boy when I feel the need that "when you are off the gas you are slowing down" sounds obvious but remember we are talking about young children.

odogracing
09-22-2008, 09:03 AM
We had a similar problem. Gary got us on the right track. However, seat time is key. For some reason non of these bikes are the same.