PDA

View Full Version : 400ex intake boot???

jonboy
09-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Ok I know this topic has been brought up about the 400ex intake boot but, how hard is it to secure it to the stock Z airbox? Has anyone done this yet? All that I have seen done is the open filter setup. Please show some pics on what you have if you have them

airmobile101
09-07-2008, 08:53 PM
Its not hard. You will need to trim about 1" or 2" off the tubing where it mounts to the carb. You will need larger hose claps for it. You will also have to figure out how to mount your vent line to the tubing. I just used RTV sealant for that. Ill try to get yea some pics up tonight.

jonboy
09-14-2008, 06:16 AM
Anybody else? Pics please

airmobile101
09-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Jon, I had training for the past two weeks. I promise to have them up by tomorrow since I m off for the next 4 days.

airmobile101
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Ok, here we go Jonboy!!

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/ex3.jpg

airmobile101
09-15-2008, 09:19 AM
pic 2

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/ex2.jpg

airmobile101
09-15-2008, 09:20 AM
pic 3

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm242/TimmyRuark/ex1.jpg

airmobile101
09-15-2008, 09:35 AM
If you notice in the first pic. I just threw the stock 90 degree breather tube elbow into the 400ex intake. It fits,but its a little loose. You can either find another 90 degree elbow that fits or do what I did and slap some RTV silicon on it. The third pic shows it attached to the stock air box. You will have to notch a slot or two on that side. There is a lip of some sort if I remember correctly. Nothing a razor blade cant do. If you notice also in the third pic, it looks like the intake is bottoming out on the top of the shock and the shock mount. It is!!!! Thats from me installing the aftermarket swingarm and extended travel shock. It still has a bigger opening than the stocker intake. Its not near as bad if you have the stock swinger and shock. Now, your gonna have to cut an inch(if I remember correctly) off the front(were the intake meets the carb). Otherwise youll never get that intake in. I dropped my airbox to get it fitted in there. The worse part of the entire project was trying to realign that one bolt that attaches the cdi box. If you have an ? , then drop me a PM or post.

cataway
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM
jonboy
please tell us your not going to do it that way.

airmobile101

you might better leave the stock boot on than to squeeze the ex boot that tightly on to the shock mount.
and jonboy ,you only make it worse if the carb end of the boot is cut .

airmobile101 when you did this little trick
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f9/cataway/ex3.jpg

what !! did you never hear about small hose clamps ?

airmobile101
09-16-2008, 01:08 AM
Damn Cataway, why you gotta bust my balls like that!!! The man wanted pics so I posted them. As for the boot, Its just fine where its at. Yea it presses on it a little,but thats because Im running a extended shock and swing. It barely touched when I had the stocker setup. Your gonna have to cut it if you run the stock air box. Period !!!! Im sure if you ran a ERS box or no box, then you dont have to cut it. As for the small hose clamps , I have no excuse for that. I could have simply put a clamp on it I guess. But it was done low tech with zero money out of my pocket. Plus, I trust the RTV more than a worm clamp in this type of setup for the breather tube. I have ran this setup for just about a year now. No issues what so ever. If you look inside my intake,it still looks new. Also, he can raise his airbox if he is worried about it. I do not do motocross,so jumping and all that other stuff isnt really gonna adversely effect the wear on the boot.

cataway
09-16-2008, 03:09 PM
extended shock and swing ?!! the upper shock mount does not move so the swing makes no difference ,its still going to put a dimple in the boot .
if your using the stock carb donot cut the carb side of the boot off ,you can if your using an FCR carb but only the ring .
the thing is the box has to be moved up or the front of the box has to be removed and the filter mount in the box has to be reformed to make room for a bigger filter. or better yet remove the whole box

jonboy
09-16-2008, 06:10 PM
Ive already spoke to redrider about making one of his spash guards to my specs to accomodate the 400ex boot. I am running the stock carb and eventually will get a edelbrock or fcr but as for now this is what I have going. Thanks for the input. I would like to see more if anyone has this mod done.

airmobile101
09-16-2008, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by cataway
extended shock and swing ?!! the upper shock mount does not move so the swing makes no difference ,its still going to put a dimple in the boot .
if your using the stock carb donot cut the carb side of the boot off ,you can if your using an FCR carb but only the ring .
the thing is the box has to be moved up or the front of the box has to be removed and the filter mount in the box has to be reformed to make room for a bigger filter. or better yet remove the whole box
No, the shock mount doesnt,but the extended shock does. Im sorry if I mentioned in the prior post about the shock mount. The extended shock kicks more out to the left, hence the reason why its touching the boot. Now I can fix that by raising the box ,but it doesnt adversely effect it in anyway. With the suspension fully compressed, it barely presses on the boot any harder than when its not compressed. Jonboy, if you run the stocker swing with shock,your not gonna have any issues. I run the stock air box with a Z400 UNI filter. I didnt have to modify the box at all. Im sure what ever path you take,you'll be fine.
Cataway, please post some pics with the stock air box mounted to help Jonboy out!!!

quad97
09-17-2008, 04:04 PM
I made my own aluminum airbox and fit the boot into it just like it is on the 400EX. Works great and looks very clean without cutting the boot, plenty of clearance around the shock too. Have to use a 400EX filter with it, which is okay because it is alot bigger. I just put a filter on the crank breather tube and plugged the hole with a bolt and self locking nut with a little silicone for extra sealing.

I may have an edlebrock for sale, havn't decied If I want to sell yet.

motoguy450r
10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
call james at jpmx 270-622-5644 and tell him you need an air box adapter for your z, it mounts to the air box and your 400ex boot fits perfect. its the same adapter william yokley used on his z-400 when he raced them. good luck

jonboy
10-13-2008, 08:35 PM
Thanks I'll give him a call. Still weighing my options as I havent done anything at this point. May be running some indoor events so I need to do something. Are there any pics of the adapter?

motoguy450r
10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
i don't have any pics of it, it mounts to the outside of your airbox and you still use the z-400 air filter. they work great i never had any problems with mine. get you a 39mm fcr carb to go with it and it will be a daylight and dark differance. good luck man.

jonboy
10-17-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I did call James at JPMX and ordered the adapter, filter, jets and a new exhaust. Thanks for the plug motoguy450r. Hes close to home and gave me some very reasonable deals. I will post up pics when I get it installed. The way he described it, it is much like the adapter motoworks has.