PDA

View Full Version : ds450x mx or ktm450 sx????????

jboz5786
09-07-2008, 12:04 PM
Hey guys I just got the ok from my old lady to get a new sport quad for the 2009 race season. Im in a debate on buying the ktm450 sx or the ds450x mx. I like the look of the ktm but looks are not the big issue. Ive heard of bottom end trouble with the ds450x from last year. I was wondering id they fixed that or not. I like the price tag on the ds but Im just trying to find the right quad for the right price that is reliable yea know. Can you guys help me?????? Thanks!:confused:

younggun95
09-07-2008, 02:25 PM
Well,I noticed u said for the 2009 race season, so enless u are planning on a stock class, I imagine u will do some simple mods like an exhaust.
The DS is lacking on the bottom end stock, but with an exhaust and a filter, it makes a hell of a difference and its no longer lacking. There is no motor changes in the 2009 power wise.
Don't know much about the KTM other than it looks really easy to work on. Has been a few motor problems with it too. In Vegas To Reno the Pro KTM team blew up two different motors in their quad.

jboz5786
09-07-2008, 03:11 PM
Yeah ive herd of the ds450 low end problem but if a pipe and little mods like that will help it thats a good thing. Thats interesting that the ktm blew up twice. That sounds like a big problem with either the engine builder or ktm itself. I really like the ktm but I don't really know if its worth the 11K . The ds is around 9k and you get light weight,EFI,and low center of gravity. Id would run a c or b class but like you said its early for both machines so the after market world doesn't really have much as in the way of after market parts right now. Thanks for your help.

Mr. Big Time
09-07-2008, 08:55 PM
I would get a DS, the KTM's are nice but too pricy. Get the dsmx, get a motoworks pipe, and fmi controller that makes a huge difference, the by a 13 tooth front sprocket, that also makes a HUGE difference. You can also drop to a 38 rear along with the 13. Trust me the money you save is far better.

tuefelhunden
09-08-2008, 06:23 AM
I was debating the same thing. I have a friend who works at a KTM dealer here and they would have given me a deal to race for them. The problem is that the only 505 they have coming won't be in till January and the guy is taking that one himself. I know they are built well and have strong motors but I just like the Can-Am more.

The good thing is that we have these difficult choices to make haha. You will be happy with either one IMO

younggun95
09-08-2008, 12:34 PM
And in about 30 minutes there will be another quad to choose from.

tuefelhunden
09-08-2008, 01:41 PM
If you are speaking of the YFZ............don't waste your time. All the changes and they still have the same crappy subframe. It needs shocks, nerfs,rims,tires, a kill switch, etc.........

LT-R450 131
09-10-2008, 01:21 AM
i personally like both bikes alot but if ur planning on keeping it stock ktm all the way its has over 50 hp stock but if u r planning out spending some cash then the ds and if money is a problem get the ds also 3Gs cheaper

xsr_racing28c
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
The KTM all the way, seriously you can get these now for under 11k for a 450. I've got mine spoken for already.

The DS is nice, but still an amateur compared to KTM.

Jay

stoopidbot
09-10-2008, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by xsr_racing28c
The KTM all the way, seriously you can get these now for under 11k for a 450. I've got mine spoken for already.

The DS is nice, but still an amateur compared to KTM.

Jay Agreed, I have seen a stock KTM eat a modded ds. The mods being full pipe, yoshi I think. Air box mod and pink wire. The KTM made the DS look like a power wheels going up the hill.

bugmenot2
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Take it from me -- I've ridden the KTM. It doesn't handle well at all. The steering is crap. The DS 450 X mx is the best handling stock ATV out there -- and it is a lot cheaper. You won't be disappointed.

jboz5786
09-10-2008, 06:49 PM
man I can make my mind u. I got the ok from both company's to get one.......GOD This is tuff :(

k4f5x0r
09-10-2008, 06:52 PM
i say go for the DS. if your not completely comfortable you have the money you saved for making it more suited to your preferences and style.

fastford
09-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Originally posted by stoopidbot
Agreed, I have seen a stock KTM eat a modded ds. The mods being full pipe, yoshi I think. Air box mod and pink wire. The KTM made the DS look like a power wheels going up the hill.

I dont know if I got a hot machine but I beat 2 KTM 450's with pipes and filters same as me on my DS.

LT-R450 131
09-11-2008, 09:17 AM
if you got approved then i think you should get the ktm i like the ds alot my lil bro is getting one cause of the price but if you can get the ktm....and which ever you get dont forget to post pics :D

stoopidbot
09-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Originally posted by fastford
I dont know if I got a hot machine but I beat 2 KTM 450's with pipes and filters same as me on my DS. It very well could have been rider ability. I was not on either machine so I can't say.

TNT
09-18-2008, 09:48 PM
I've been batting this one around lately too. Hard decision! I heard from a reliable source the pros were cracking the 08 DS aluminum frame. Not sure about the EFI either, maintenance might be difficult compared to the KTM carb with a CDI that has two curves you access by disconnecting a wire. If you change the pipe, air, bore on the DS your into a remap probably and how many are equipped to do that or know enough about EFI to troubleshoot? Been a carb/YAM guy never had EFI.....

I don't normally post out here but was wondering what your experience with the 08 DS are, how is the frame and EFI holding up?

Thx!

fastford
09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
Clip wire, pipe, filter and the intake you should be stomping pretty much everyone. Pink wire mod is a race map Can-am has on the machine.

casmund
11-15-2008, 01:58 PM
The the Ktm sx atv's are supposed to be pro am lvl out of the box , you would want to prob throw in the ohlins steering stabilizer and some handlebars that you are comfy with and you are set to go....some other options are throwing a akropovic slip on or fmf factory slip on also if the sick power isn't enough for ya already lol. The WP shocks are realy good and maybe a re-valve is all that is needed here if your weight is a lot different from factory settings.

something a lot of people overlook is how good the brakes and clutch are on these new sx's, the nerfs that come on it are nice also but when i get mine i want to get the ones from ktm powerparts with the built in heel guard on the nerfs. plus theres a ton of tricked out billet orange parts from the catalog for the bikes too (as well as neat neoprene covers for shocks and various components to keep mud out).

The sx engine is different from the XC engine also are you sure it wasn't the xc engine that blew up? ktm currently has no MX factory team...

The ds-450 X-MX is a great bike also but to bring it up to the same lvl you will be sinking a lot more cash into it... granted not nearly as much cash as you would with a suzuki honda or kawasaki.

Note: the Ktm SX atv's are very light also wet weight wise 20-30 lbs lighter than most.

Just my 2 cents i love both the ktm and can am quads but for the person not made of money the ktm is a real value if u want a pro am lvl race ready bike for 11k and a bit rather than 18-20k...

All things being fair if you have the cash(i don't) tho and want a Can-Am =) you can pimp the heck out of the ds-450 and make it rock too.

Look forward to replys

Chris

:)

TNT
11-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Chris, in your opinion what would it take to bring the KTM to the Can-Am level and what would it cost. Thanks!

casmund
11-16-2008, 08:12 PM
Sent you a PM regarding this let me know if you recieve it thanks =).

stoopidbot
11-17-2008, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by TNT1
Chris, in your opinion what would it take to bring the KTM to the Can-Am level and what would it cost. Thanks! Downgrade your exhaust and intake.

RosquistRacer39
11-18-2008, 07:49 PM
I think both bikes are great, but did you see the contingency ktm is putting out. Im now leaning toward getting one because if you win a few races you could pay it off fast.

TNT
11-18-2008, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by RosquistRacer39
I think both bikes are great, but did you see the contingency ktm is putting out. Im now leaning toward getting one because if you win a few races you could pay it off fast.

I talked to Rossier Engineering today and he said thats because they are not putting alot into production, like 2000 and if only 500 will spend money to mod it's not worth his time to produce alot of parts. I'd imagine alot of companies feel the same way so my dealer says OEM parts on bikes are higher than most. On a good note ones that have riden say they got power. How much I don't know. One a-class rider I know said it's not a pro-am bike but a good a-class bike. He rides a SUK now.

Rossier also said the Can AM is the same engine as 08 stock it pulls 38-40 HP most he got is 52 vs YAM 56 VS Suk and Honda 58-60. I'm having a hard time finding Can AM and KTM after market parts. Don't think most need 60 HP unless they are trying to pull the hole shot in the pro class.

Not sure which quad I'm getting. I get to test ride a stock Can AM as soon as my broken collar bone heals in about a week or two. I got a YAM at 52-54 hp to compare the power to we shall see if I think I can dump a little money into a pipe, filter, and a little engine work, port, cams, remap and get there? I also want to play with the shocks and see if I'll need new ones.