PDA

View Full Version : KTM450sx or DS450x mx?

jboz5786
09-07-2008, 12:00 PM
Hey guys I just got the go ahead from my lady friend to get a new sport quad for the 2009 race season. Im debating on the ktm450 sx or the ds 450x mx. They both have what I want. I really like the look of the KTM but it costs more than the ds. Is the KTM really worth the price? I know the ds had some issues last year like in bottom end power but ive heard they fixed that too? I was just wondering which one I should go for???? Thanks!

xsr_racing28c
09-07-2008, 12:09 PM
After owning a KTM , i wouldn't ride any other machine if I had a choice!

Jay

jboz5786
09-07-2008, 03:15 PM
Have you heard of the ktm motor blowing up twice in the vegas to reno race? Some guy just told me about it today. I think its the team engine builders fault but who knows? I want to go with ktm. I know there history on the engines and I know there good. I just don't know yet?????:confused: :confused:

quad97
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
I wouldn't trade my KTM for anything. Power, light weight, handling, adjustability, DURABILITY, fine details, ergos. Covers everything.

04TRX400EX
09-12-2008, 12:46 AM
I started to write how different the KTM was from the Can Am, therefore justifying the price, but then I began to realize they offer similar parts. I would say the WP shocks on the KTM are better than the KYB's on the Can Am from what I hear. The KTM's engine is also going to be stronger and I think it looks a lot better too.

I'm not sure how many frame and a-arm/axle changes Can Am made for '09 (besides the width & adjustability) because there were quite a few posts on here of very weak parts that easily bent and/or broke under not-so-severe conditions. KTM probably has a more proven track record.

Quadevil
09-12-2008, 12:11 PM
KTM SX although not cheap but it's clearly the best sport quad around...
Power, suspension, build quality, comfort, brakes you name it :D

Wired
09-15-2008, 08:40 AM
Originally posted by 04TRX400EX
I'm not sure how many frame and a-arm/axle changes Can Am made for '09 (besides the width & adjustability) because there were quite a few posts on here of very weak parts that easily bent and/or broke under not-so-severe conditions.

They did fix that issue on the new versions. It was a simple fix that you can get from a few aftermarket company's to solve the problem for the 08's.

joeyds450x
10-19-2008, 11:27 AM
id go with the ds450x mx but thats cuz im use to a ds450x..ive nvr rode a ktm.....ive only had problems with the axle just bent a little, n the sproket broke cuz of it

h-bomb450R
10-26-2008, 08:35 PM
i dont know.. ive seen KTM frames bend really easily and ive seen the ds frames bend even easier. I don't think can-am has the kinks out of their race quads yet, because they certainly aren't reliable. But i've seen plenty of problems with the KTM too. but as far as getting your moneys worth...i'd go with the new sx for sure. Ive been racing xc on a honda but this new KTM is making me want to start riding mx really badly.