PDA

View Full Version : ATV History

free_rider20
12-08-2002, 07:01 PM
I made a short research paper on the History of the ATV. I thaught some of you on here might like to read it. Here it is:

You feel the adrenaline as you ride through the woods. The
trees are just inches away and passing by so fast they are a
blur. The you reach a straight section and you feel the ATV try to
pull out from under you as you accelerate and shift through the
gears. An ATV is any machine made to travel off-road in many
terrains. There are many different names for ATVs. Many
enthusiasts call the three-wheeler a trike, and four-wheelers are
often reffered to as quads. There are many areas set aside just
for ATVs and other off-road vehicles. The ATV has evolved from a
disliked three-wheeled machine to a popular recreation and work
machine.

ATVs have been used since the 1960s. The first ATVs were used in Japan. Farmers would use them because they could go through muddy fields where conventional vehicles would get stuck. People, who lived outside of town, used them so that they could get to town when it was muddy. Honda made the first ATV in the United States. It was a three-wheeled machine called the US90. This ATV retailed in the United States at 595 dollars.

During the 1970s, people of the United States found new ways to use ATVs besides recreation, such as going through muddy fields to check on crops or livestock. Also during the 1970s, ATV manufacturers had a growing period when many new companies and ATV models were founded. Honda upgraded the US90, also known as ATC90. They added new tires that were more puncture resistant and later made it into a whole new ATV: the ATC110. The ATC110 had a larger more powerful engine. Honda also started making an ATC70 for smaller riders. Yamaha, the only new company during the 70s, introduced the YT125.

Honda started the 80s with a new high performance ATV: the ATC250R. Released in 1982, it was the first ever two stroke high performance ATV. Honda introduced another sport ATV in 1983, the ATC200X. Joe Andrews(4 punks) said, "These were the worlds first sport ATVs. Ther took the sport to a whole new level. They were by no means the best of fastest machines in history, but were the original benchmarks for which all ATVs would be judged." The same year Honda released the ATC250R, Kawasaki made their first ATV, the KTL200-Al.

A new ATV design in the 1980s would forever change the ATV world. In 1982 Suzuki became the first ever to make a four wheeled ATV. Honda and Yamaha soon followed in 1984 with four wheelers and Kawasaki a year later. In 1985 Polaris Industries became the first United States based ATV manufacturer. In 1986 Honda introduced what would become one of the greatest ATVs of all time, the TRX250R. It was a four-wheeled machine with a powerful two-stroke engine. Honda discontinued the production of the TRX250R in 1989 because many people were gettin hurt and suing Honda. The 1980s ended in a sad way. All of the ATV manufacturers signed an agreement to discontinue sales of the three wheeler due to safety issues. Many people enjoyed the three wheelers more than four wheelers. Even today, there are still people that own and ride three wheelers and would never part with them.

Not much of anything happened in the beginning of the 1990s. In 1993 kawasaki introduced their largest engine yet, a 400cc four stroke engine. In 1995, Arctic Cat began production of ATVs. Bombardier began producing ATVs in 1998; it is based in Canada. After dropping out of the High performane sport ATv market in 1989, Honda re-entered in 1999 with the TRX400EX. It is one of the most reliable ATVs on the market today.

The 2000s have been a time for ATV manufacturers to start producing larger sized engines. Most all companies have ATVs over 600cc. Honda has the Rincon, Yamaha has the Grizzly and Raptor, Kawasaki has the Prairie 650, Polaris has the Sportsman 700, and Bombardier has the DS650. The Honda rincon has a highly advanced transmission. It is built like a car type transmission unlike most other automatic ATVs, which have a belt.

The thirty years that the ATV has been around is relatively shorter than the length of time other vehicles have been around. They are very popular and found in many places. The ATV has changed greatly over the decades while going from three wheels to four. They have also became safer for the riders and easier to ride.

Thanks for reading. I am sure there are mistakes since I just re-typed it and it isnt from my final copy. After reading it does it seem as though I amd biased towards Honda?

Ryan
12-08-2002, 07:09 PM
That was excellent. Im glad I read that, I learned alot of new things I never knew about atvs. Now is that for school or.....?

free_rider20
12-08-2002, 07:11 PM
Yep, it was for english. Should be gettin my grade on it sometime this week. We were gonna do powerpoints and I was gonna put some awesome vids on it but she said they were really good so she isnt gonna have us do them.

tants
12-08-2002, 07:16 PM
that was for school? not bad. deff. needs a "re-type"

free_rider20
12-08-2002, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the compliments. Yeah, the final copy is save on my hard drive at school. It is a lot better.

12-08-2002, 07:24 PM
my eyes hurt lol

TravEX
12-08-2002, 07:46 PM
GREAT JOB!!!

4punksdad
12-09-2002, 04:22 PM
not bad......topics are a little jumbled.......but very informative.
b+

Rip_Tear
12-09-2002, 05:25 PM
Good job! But you forgot to mention that Honda is still the best ATV company, and that the 250R is Legendary... :D

Knight440
12-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Good job

BrianWrightR6
12-09-2002, 06:04 PM
A+

cheetah
12-09-2002, 06:18 PM
Can't forget that Cdale introduced fuel injection.

Great read.