PDA

View Full Version : Carriers? Whos is Better ??

ERBE
09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Im looking at prices from 100 to 200 they all seem to be twin roll, how much better are they over the stock carrier??
I am replacing my sones Swinger and was looking into carriers and im about ready to just replace the stockers bearings and run it another 20 years.

peeping TOM
09-06-2008, 03:15 PM
rpm millenium with tapered bearings, u lose some chain adjustment but tapered bearings are way better load bearings.

mfr422
09-06-2008, 03:49 PM
Erbe,

I run the twin row because of the chain adjustment issues, you loose about 1/2 a tooth adjustment with the tapered carrier, but they are the best. With the gearing on my machine I had to sell my tapered to my buddy to get the combo I wanted. Whichever one you get, buy one with the grease zerk on the end, otherwise you have to take the carrier out to grease it. They are definetly worth having as I was replacing bearings once a season with the stocker and go 3-4 with the twin row. My buddy has never replaced his tapered bearings but he's unusually anal about maintenance and takes his apart and greases it 2-3 times a year.

Roost on!!

86 Quad R
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
ya cant go wrong with a twin row carrier. as stated the dual bearings hold up much better than the stock single row and the taper is even better but if ya ride in wet conditions very often then i wouldnt use them.

Aceman
09-06-2008, 08:31 PM
I'd never buy a new twin row carrier. Those things go for about $70 used with decent bearings on Ebay all day long. And that's why I now have a spare.;)

Creech52
09-07-2008, 02:34 PM
I dont mean to thread jack here but I was always interested in the RAD and similar brands that had the zerk on the end. However I was reading about a carrier on ebay and they explained how bad the ones with the zerk on the end that you can grease on the bike are.

Anyone else have any opinions on the two styles. What ebay add said did make sense to me though, something about the bearings shouldnt need regreased that, the zerk is only there to grease the sleeve on the axel to prevent it from freezing up.

86 Quad R
09-08-2008, 08:38 AM
i can see where the bearings in a tappered bearing carrier would benefit from having the zerk on it but not a dual row. as they are sealed on both sides. remove the seals and you open it up to the elements. that is if you ride wet conditions a large portion of the time.

mineralgrey01gt
09-08-2008, 10:12 AM
ive always enjoyed my LSR twin row carrier

C-LEIGH RACING
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by mineralgrey01gt
ive always enjoyed my LSR twin row carrier

And! LSR has a cast version of the twin row that is cheaper.

Far as quality, which ever one you get, one is no better than the other depending on the brand of bearing & seal used in them.

One thing I can add if you use the stock Honda single row bearing carrier.
If your going to install a small rear sprocket, say a 35/34/33 tooth, you will need to pull the axle out to install it because the carriers adjusting ears are to big to fit the sprocket over if the axle is in place.
Most sprockets you can angle it in a way to fit over the hub & then into place & bolt up, but those that small you cant.

With an aftermarket billett carrier, because of it being machined in that same area & being smaller, you have no problem installing the small sprockets.

See, me going through this some time back, trying to install one with the stock Honda carrier & now knowing it cant be done will end up saving you about a hours work time in the long run, IF you go ahead & get an aftermarket bearing carrier.
Neil

ERBE
09-08-2008, 11:17 AM
Are all the 250R TRX250R TRX450R 400EX carriers interchangable?

C-LEIGH RACING
09-08-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by ERBE
Are teh 250R TRX250R TRX450R 400EX carriers interchangable?

Dont know about the 400EX, ??? might fit.
The old ATC250R, some of those were smaller OD than the 86 to 89 TRX250R.
Not 100% sure, but beleave I heard the 450R will interchange.
Neil

ERBE
09-08-2008, 11:24 AM
I was asking becase im reading that the 400EX axle can be used on the TRX250R to change up the splines for different hubs

so I wondering ok use the carrier?? of other parts??

mineralgrey01gt
09-08-2008, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by C-LEIGH RACING
And! LSR has a cast version of the twin row that is cheaper.

Far as quality, which ever one you get, one is no better than the other depending on the brand of bearing & seal used in them.

One thing I can add if you use the stock Honda single row bearing carrier.
If your going to install a small rear sprocket, say a 35/34/33 tooth, you will need to pull the axle out to install it because the carriers adjusting ears are to big to fit the sprocket over if the axle is in place.
Most sprockets you can angle it in a way to fit over the hub & then into place & bolt up, but those that small you cant.

With an aftermarket billett carrier, because of it being machined in that same area & being smaller, you have no problem installing the small sprockets.

See, me going through this some time back, trying to install one with the stock Honda carrier & now knowing it cant be done will end up saving you about a hours work time in the long run, IF you go ahead & get an aftermarket bearing carrier.
Neil

it seems like I remember hearing about the cast twin row carrier. Mine is a billet twin row carrier (currently for sale)

Aceman
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM
I'm running a cast LSR right now. My spare's a billet though....

All250R
09-08-2008, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by mfr422
Erbe,

I run the twin row because of the chain adjustment issues, you loose about 1/2 a tooth adjustment with the tapered carrier, but they are the best. With the gearing on my machine I had to sell my tapered to my buddy to get the combo I wanted.
Durablue has the same issue with chain adjustability. I thought they all had the problem. A guy in this post below didn't agree. I took his word for it. So there might be a tapered bearing type being used that is designed differently. PM "Bushwesl" possibly. Then again, he's running 13-39 which as stated works with my carrier too.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=342553

Creech52
09-08-2008, 06:20 PM
So they were right, you dont want one of those carriers with the zerks in the side because it blows out the bearing seals, or does it not affect that?

bushwesl
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by All250R
Durablue has the same issue with chain adjustability. I thought they all had the problem. A guy in this post below didn't agree. I took his word for it. So there might be a tapered bearing type being used that is designed differently. PM "Bushwesl" possibly. Then again, he's running 13-39 which as stated works with my carrier too.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=342553

I'm now running 13/38 and still haven't had any issues with my RAD tapered carrier.

Fear250r
09-09-2008, 05:03 AM
I had big time problems with my Rad tapered carrier. They use cheap chinese bearings in there. Went through a couple sets of them, then had some good Timken bearings matched up, but by that time, the carrier was in such awful shape, one side wouldn't even hold the seal in place.

So....I've got 2 Brand new Timken bearings and 2 Brand news seals for a RAD tapered bearing carrier for sale.